We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

It's only a discussion Muppet beats talking about the Kildare and Mayo hype. Mayo or Roscommon will need to win a Q/F to be considered as Connacht was poor and London were the only team to win a qualifier thus far...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM
We don't really but as we head towards August who would be in contention, my own team with not much thought gone into it....

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Shane Enright (Kerry)
3. Rory O'Carroll (Dublin)
4. Hugh McGrillen (Kildare)
5. Aaron Kernan (Armagh)
6. Aidan Flynn (Wexford)
7. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. John Doyle (Kildare)
9. Brendan Murphy (Carlow)
10. Alan Brogan (Dublin)
11. Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)
12. Colm McFadden (Donegal)
13. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
15. Kieran Donaghy (Kerry)

POTY

Alan Brogan

No room for Big Willie?

:(
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2011, 05:21:11 PM
It's only a discussion Muppet beats talking about the Kildare and Mayo hype. Mayo or Roscommon will need to win a Q/F to be considered as Connacht was poor and London were the only team to win a qualifier thus far...

If we beat Tyrone or Armagh (which i don't think we will) i think one of our defenders will get All-Star.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Quote from: ross4life on July 19, 2011, 05:26:20 PM

If we beat Tyrone or Armagh (which i don't think we will) i think one of our defenders will get All-Star.

If ye beat Tyrone or Armagh, it's more likely that Donie Shine will get one I'd say. He'll have to be great for ye to win it I think.

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on July 19, 2011, 05:19:12 PM
Graham Geraghty has to get one.

Everytime he touched the ball this year he got a goal.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2011, 05:30:07 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 19, 2011, 05:19:12 PM
Graham Geraghty has to get one.

Everytime he touched the ball this year he got a goal.

And gave away a free.

muppet

If Mayo or Ros need to win a Q/F to win an All-Star how come all the others don't? Does (for example) not winning a Q/F make Hennelly worse than Clucko but winning one might make him better?

Also neither county could possibily have won a qualifier yet so how can that be used against them?

TBH I'm not bothered at the 2nd (or even 3rd) class treatment metted out towards us in the west. It'll bite someone of ye in the ass yet this year.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 05:31:45 PM

If Mayo or Ros need to win a Q/F to win an All-Star how come all the others don't? Does (for example) not winning a Q/F make Hennelly worse than Clucko but winning one might make him better?

Also neither county could possibily have won a qualifier yet so how can that be used against them?

TBH I'm not bothered at the 2nd (or even 3rd) class treatment metted out towards us in the west. It'll bite someone of ye in the ass yet this year.  ;D

Who would you propose? Hennelly?

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2011, 05:34:11 PM

Don't want to get sucked into that.

I'm more interested in examining the logic that says (for example) a Dublin goalkeeper can be considered the leading contender already (in a team that hasn't reached a final in 16 years) while no one from any county in Connacht can possibly be considered without a Q/F victory.

This is a double standard.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 05:37:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2011, 05:34:11 PM

Don't want to get sucked into that.

I'm more interested in examining the logic that says (for example) a Dublin goalkeeper can be considered the leading contender already (in a team that hasn't reached a final in 16 years) while no one from any county in Connacht can possibly be considered without a Q/F victory.

This is a double standard.
`

I don't think you can 'examine' one without the other.  I think you're being a bit sensitive. Based on the quality (weather influenced in at least two cases) in the Connacht Championship, there isn't really anyone that's been the best in their position based on form so far, in my opinion. It's not that they haven't been thought about, it's just not featured great performances.

muppet

If I name a candidate it becomes merely subjective and easy to rubbish.

However, what I am looking at is the premise that no Connacht player can be considered a serious All-Star candidate unless their team win a Q/F. I believe there consensus among most observers here, and almost certainly in the media, that this would be the case.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 05:46:22 PM

However, what I am looking at is the premise that no Connacht player can be considered a serious All-Star candidate unless their team win a Q/F. I believe there consensus among most observers here, and almost certainly in the media, that this would be the case.

Based on performances to date. If you disagree you'll have to cite examples. Unless you are saying that you cannot possibly merit an All Star ANY YEAR based on Connacht Championship. If that's what you think, then I can only say for myself that that's not true. If a Mayo Corner Forward, for e.g. had scored 1-3 against Galway from play, and 1-6 against Roscommon, and looked that good, I'd have no problem saying he's in the running at this stage.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2011, 05:49:17 PM

Based on performances to date. If you disagree you'll have to cite examples. Unless you are saying that you cannot possibly merit an All Star ANY YEAR based on Connacht Championship. If that's what you think, then I can only say for myself that that's not true. If a Mayo Corner Forward, for e.g. had scored 1-3 against Galway from play, and 1-6 against Roscommon, and looked that good, I'd have no problem saying he's in the running at this stage.

Roscommon s Seanie McDermott and Mayo s Richie Feeney were brilliant in awful conditions. tom Cunniffe marked Senan Kilbride out of it. As good as I ve seen all year in the most trying conditions imaginable at this time of year. So McDermott goes in at 2 and Richie goes in at 5. Ye can pick Kernan in the forwards where he spends most of his time anyway. He wouldn t have come out with that dog ball the last day :-*

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2011, 05:49:17 PM

That is the premise.
MWWSI 2017

The Worker