Paul Grimley goes to Monaghan

Started by Carbery, September 02, 2009, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Until I have the full facts I'm not going to take a swipe at Grimley, I know that the players wanted him for the job and they must feel more gutted than we do at the minute. Obviously I'm biased as an Armagh man but I think the post is better for Grimley with better underage talent coming through in Armagh. This was his chance to get the no 1 job in Armagh as I believe in 3 years or so the next manager will be Geezer and if we have the right man now to bring the talent along I see us challenging again at the top table in 3 years or so (despite what the Tyrone intelligentsia think).
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

INDIANA

Anyone consider that maybe Grimley doesn't want to be number one and is waiting for Mc Geeney to get it so he can be number 2.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: INDIANA on September 02, 2009, 10:25:13 AM
Anyone consider that maybe Grimley doesn't want to be number one and is waiting for Mc Geeney to get it so he can be number 2.

Why bother moving from Kildare then?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Logan

No

I think Monaghan have simply offered him the hot seat next year. 

mackers

You may be right but in an interview earlier in the year in the Tribune he said that he was only interested in one "no 1" post and that was in Armagh.  If Logan is correct and he's taking this on the understanding that he's getting the top seat in Monaghan then it is even more disappointing.

INDIANA

Well he is training a team in Monaghan as well, he may have found the whole thing too much travelling. As long as monaghan were able to match the deal, why not. i can't see Mc Geeney going into the Armagh with anyone else. Regardless of any reservations armagh have about Grimley if Mc Geeney wants him as his number two - he'll get him. Its the only thing that makes any sense to me.
Otherwise he's all but given up being involved with Armagh. But I can't see a long-term future in Monaghan. Makes no sense everybody knows Armagh have way more ability coming through the ranks than Monaghan and could have a very nice team in a couple of seasons.

orangeman

Now there's a bolt from the blue - to be honest I didn't see that one coming at all.

And I can't for the life of me understand his motivation.

One general observation I would make is that a lot of these men have been with their own counties and most have found that unless you win something, you're useless. Maybe, and it's only a maybe, but it might be that they feel more appreciated in an outside county/club than their own. Cynics might say that they're better compensated as well.

Armamike

As Mackers says, it's hard to comment too much on this without knowing the facts but i would hope that he didn't do this to spite the county board, i.e. payback for two years ago. That wouldn't be a good basis for taking up another position.  It will be interesting to find out if Grimley agreed to be nominated by the clubs for the Armagh job.

In pure footballing terms it's hard to make an argument for taking up with Monaghan over Armagh a) What more can be gotten out of the current Monaghan side? and b) there's a lot of good young talent coming through in Armagh and not least c) Armagh's his county!

From his track record to date it looks like Paul prefers being a no.2. and maybe being the main main at the helm doesn't rest easily with him. That's now Armagh, Kildare and Cavan he's been no.2 and he didn't stick around too long in Cavan and Kildare.

There are no strong available candidates within the county for the job at the moment imo. May have to look outside now.

That's just, like your opinion man.

lynchbhoy

very interesting
time will tell if he gets the monaghan managers role

until then I'd say the travelling time takes its toll
and one final thing , while he did learn a lot under Kernan, I would love to have the opportunity to see how the likes of Harte or McEnaney go about their business as team managers.
A lot can be learned from this - esp man motivation, tactics, hardness etc etc.
After this experience Grimley will be even better equipped to take over managers role somewhere - the smart move would be the continuity of stepping up at monaghan, but a year is a long time in football and people fall out etc.

Also maybe he doesnt want to be a number 1 man.
time will tell but this is def a very interesting appointment.

Logan

Based on his track record you'd not expect him to last/stay long in Monaghan

mackers

Quote from: INDIANA on September 02, 2009, 10:33:28 AM
Well he is training a team in Monaghan as well, he may have found the whole thing too much travelling. As long as monaghan were able to match the deal, why not. i can't see Mc Geeney going into the Armagh with anyone else. Regardless of any reservations armagh have about Grimley if Mc Geeney wants him as his number two - he'll get him. Its the only thing that makes any sense to me.Otherwise he's all but given up being involved with Armagh. But I can't see a long-term future in Monaghan. Makes no sense everybody knows Armagh have way more ability coming through the ranks than Monaghan and could have a very nice team in a couple of seasons.
I agree and if we assume that Geezer will take the job the next time (say in 3 years) then it would've been an awkward situation for Grimley to stand down after being no 1 and become an assistant again. That's the theory I'd like to believe this morning anyway!! :-\

Logan

Quote from: mackers on September 02, 2009, 10:43:34 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 02, 2009, 10:33:28 AM
Well he is training a team in Monaghan as well, he may have found the whole thing too much travelling. As long as monaghan were able to match the deal, why not. i can't see Mc Geeney going into the Armagh with anyone else. Regardless of any reservations armagh have about Grimley if Mc Geeney wants him as his number two - he'll get him. Its the only thing that makes any sense to me.Otherwise he's all but given up being involved with Armagh. But I can't see a long-term future in Monaghan. Makes no sense everybody knows Armagh have way more ability coming through the ranks than Monaghan and could have a very nice team in a couple of seasons.
I agree and if we assume that Geezer will take the job the next time (say in 3 years) then it would've been an awkward situation for Grimley to stand down after being no 1 and become an assistant again. That's the theory I'd like to believe this morning anyway!! :-\
I think there's too many but's and if's in that one ... there's also talk of three years etc etc
Who knows who'll be where in 3 years!
Mickey Harte could be Armagh manager by then - going on todays story I'd not be surprised!

naka

Quote from: mackers on September 02, 2009, 09:50:30 AM
Holy fcuk!! Didn't see that one coming! Very disappointed, as Logan has said why go for assistant manager in Monaghan with the Armagh job up for grabs, fully understand his reasons for not wanting to go through the interview process but I thought he would've given the selection committee a chance to weigh up their options before taking another job. He obviously doesn't trust the county board but with Paul McGrane and Gerard Davidson involved he could've bided his time.
he was told that he would have to go thru the interview preocess and  probably said to feck with that

Logan

Quote from: naka on September 02, 2009, 11:37:03 AM
Holy fcuk!! Didn't see that one coming! Very disappointed, as Logan has said why go for assistant manager in Monaghan with the Armagh job up for grabs, fully understand his reasons for not wanting to go through the interview process but I thought he would've given the selection committee a chance to weigh up their options before taking another job. He obviously doesn't trust the county board but with Paul McGrane and Gerard Davidson involved he could've bided his time.
he was told that he would have to go thru the interview preocess and  probably said to feck with that
... and then walked out of the room and rang Banty?

Hardly

Had he ever any intention of taking it on?

naka

Quote from: Logan on September 02, 2009, 11:40:15 AM
Quote from: naka on September 02, 2009, 11:37:03 AM
... and then walked out of the room and rang Banty?

Hardly

he was approached by monaghan whilst he was speaking to a member of the selection committee re the armagh post, he set a list of conditions which needed to be met by armagh and had been in place when joe was in charge but most of these conditions were rejected by the county board, grimley went to monaghan when he realised that the county board were unwilling to match his ambition for whatever reason, there will be fall out from this as it was common knowledge that discussions were taking place

Had he ever any intention of taking it on?