Soccer Pitch ploughed up on GAA instructions

Started by highorlow, April 06, 2009, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Even if they are 100% in their rights to do it, I think the GAA club may have acted rashly and it might damage community relations.
They should have politely given the soccer club the shove - even though the soccer club did object to the planning.

If the soccer club followed form of so many other soccer clubs in Ireland, they would probably have sat on their arses waiting for hand outs and never gotten around to developing their own facility. Now they have a good begging rights and the council might have to step in to give them a pitch.

johnpower

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 06, 2009, 08:34:56 PM
Surely Tyrone are involved in this somewhere, or at the very least some of the other 'Ulster bies'?

The Tractor was bought some where in Down

fitzroyalty

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 06, 2009, 08:29:43 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
Their property, they can do as they wish!
I think the dispute is over whether it actually is their property or not.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2009, 08:27:46 PM
The point is that ownership of the pitch is disputed. All a bit unseemly in a small parish and I'd say it'll run.

The noises coming from the GAA club are that they are well within their rights in what they're doing, they seem confident about ownership and I also find it difficult to fathom planning permission being granted if this was in any doubt. F**k off soccer club!
Quote from: highorlow on April 06, 2009, 01:31:57 PM
While local groups dispute the GAA's claim to exclusive ownership of the sportsfield, Mr Conway insisted the board had acted within its rights. In October, Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA Club was granted planning permission to redevelop the pitch, erect floodlights and construct a car park and associated services, despite an application from the soccer club for leave of appeal.

"The property belongs to the GAA and there's no debate about ownership as there is documentation there," Mr Conway stated.

johnpower

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2009, 10:47:15 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 06, 2009, 08:29:43 PM
I think the dispute is over whether it actually is their property or not.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2009, 08:27:46 PM
The point is that ownership of the pitch is disputed. All a bit unseemly in a small parish and I'd say it'll run.

The noises coming from the GAA club are that they are well within their rights in what they're doing, they seem confident about ownership and I also find it difficult to fathom planning permission being granted if this was in any doubt. F**k off soccer club!
While local groups dispute the GAA's claim to exclusive ownership of the sportsfield, Mr Conway insisted the board had acted within its rights. In October, Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA Club was granted planning permission to redevelop the pitch, erect floodlights and construct a car park and associated services, despite an application from the soccer club for leave of appeal.

"The property belongs to the GAA and there's no debate about ownership as there is documentation there," Mr Conway stated.

By rights they should have gotten a court order though to keep everything above board. If there is no dispute, all well and good but if the soccer group / community group have any sort of an arguable case then this won't go down at all well with a judge.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSurely Tyrone are involved in this somewhere, or at the very least some of the other 'Ulster bies'?

No, I'm fairly sure that there are very few Nordies in Mid-Kerry, thank god. There are quite a few scattered around the rest of the county though. We'd send them back but it would be like sending refugees back to Darfur or some other hellhole. It just wouldn't be the humane thing to do.

rrhf

To hear of Kerrymen fervently practising for the all ireland ploughing competition in the dead of night would suggest a seismic lowering of belief in the  prospects of the green and gold hoops.  We'll stick to the football boys and if ye ever want to give er another go we'll be lighting up Croker.

dublinfella

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2009, 10:47:15 PM

The land was granted to the community by an anglo family in the 30's. The Land Commission gave the pitch to the GAA to maintain for the parish and a three man committee was set up. Recently one of the committee died, he was not a GAA man, and he was replaced with a club man, making all three members of the committee members of the association. They then decided to enforce rule 44 after 20 years on instruction from Croker. To me thats where the 'GAA property' line falls on its arse. 20 years they let a soccer club play rent free? Don't buy it.

The inevitible lawsuit will focus on that committee acting in the interests of the GAA and not the community by seeking planning permission for a GAA pitch on communal land.

Any coincidence that that nutter Duffy was whinging about soccer pitches a few weeks ago and the edict then comes from Croker?

Zulu

Quoteny coincidence that that nutter Duffy was whinging about soccer pitches a few weeks ago and the edict then comes from Croker?

Any reason your describing him as a nutter?

It seems that there is absolutely no debate over who owns the land and that the GAA are developing the land for themselves but that all other community activities will be allowed to continue outside of soccer which is against the rules (rightly or wrongly) of the association as of now. So while I don't think the GAA went about it the right way (from what I know) they are well within their rights and once again the question is why didn't the soccer club develop grounds of their own?

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on April 12, 2009, 04:27:35 PMthe question is why didn't the soccer club develop grounds of their own?

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .

You're a droll one, Zulu.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Have a look at this.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=115379

We're a Nazi organisation whose ethos is a declaration of war on Irish identity. Added to that, the GAA is on the verge of financial meltdown and will go bankrupt within a couple of years (the irony of that accusation coming from Eircom League fans).

A sample of comments

LeixlipRed

I hope the local GAA club burns down with all those poxy red faced fat gits inside. And maybe a few priests too

Quotestojkovic 

This happens in Dublin too.

We've been fighting our corner against a group of GAH bigots for five years now. Theyve tried every dirty trick in the book, including corruption at various levels.

We are beating them though.

QuoteBoh_So_Good 

Thing is, if you read between the lines of the current GAA financial report they are facing bankrupcy when the soccer and rugby leave Croke Park and apart form concerts they have almost no cast-iron revenue stream.

Irish people are drinking less booze and the GAA is highly dependent on gargle money, coupled with the fact many local GAA clubs and branches are broke from decades of committes lining their own pockets and it all being hushed up. There is also no public money to really for them any more. AIB giving them more money! Yeah right...

So the only future for the GAA is a massive restructuring towards a slimmed down auster oraganisation and this will take away their power in the community. The GAA is and always has been a Political/Religious organisation which occasionally dabbles in sport. They cannot survive without implementing their dogmatic social controls bullying tactics on small rural communities anymore. They are no longer the only game in town.

Expect to see more incidents of ignorant Nazi pigfukery like the one in Castlemaine as this dying beast lashes out in its death screams.
No Surrender to the GAA.

Kildareman shows a disdain for the development of sporting grounds and/or locks. Presumably he'd like the GAA to leave their pitches open at night.

QuoteKildareman

This has been happening for years in every community in the land.
Its the norm for the local GAA clubs to take control of community grounds and take them as their own.
They built their clubhouses and then put locks on the gates.
Whats new????

Sheridan is a believer in conspiracy theories (and property theft it seems).

QuoteSheridan 

The first act of the new government should be to nationalise Croke Park, put the naming rights out to tender, freeze all grants to the GAA and instigate an immediate and wide-ranging tribunal into the links between government and funding of the organisation over the past twenty years.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on April 12, 2009, 04:27:35 PM
Any reason your describing him as a nutter?

Because I think he is a throwback to the 50's and I worry that the GAA is heading in a regressive direction where actions like ploughing up pitches under the cover of darkness are sanctioned from the top. The GAA should be moving forward with pride, not attacking soccer like this.
The irony that Duffy was whinging about being denied access to a public facility in Tallaght and Lusk while pulling this stroke is completly lost on people here.....

Quote from: Zulu on April 12, 2009, 04:27:35 PMIt seems that there is absolutely no debate over who owns the land and that the GAA are developing the land for themselves but that all other community activities will be allowed to continue outside of soccer which is against the rules (rightly or wrongly) of the association as of now. So while I don't think the GAA went about it the right way (from what I know) they are well within their rights and once again the question is why didn't the soccer club develop grounds of their own?

There most certainly is a debate about who owns the land. The issue is whether the GAA are entitled to pull communal land that they agreed to maintain for the community under rule 44 and deprive a section of the community who used it for 20 years of access. If the GAA are that confident of ownership, why did they permit the soccer club 20 years of rent free use? That doesn't add up.

dublinfella

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 12, 2009, 05:55:11 PM
Have a look at this.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=115379

We're a Nazi organisation whose ethos is a declaration of war on Irish identity. Added to that, the GAA is on the verge of financial meltdown and will go bankrupt within a couple of years (the irony of that accusation coming from Eircom League fans).

A sample of comments

LeixlipRed

I hope the local GAA club burns down with all those poxy red faced fat gits inside. And maybe a few priests too

Quotestojkovic 

This happens in Dublin too.

We've been fighting our corner against a group of GAH bigots for five years now. Theyve tried every dirty trick in the book, including corruption at various levels.

We are beating them though.

QuoteBoh_So_Good 

Thing is, if you read between the lines of the current GAA financial report they are facing bankrupcy when the soccer and rugby leave Croke Park and apart form concerts they have almost no cast-iron revenue stream.

Irish people are drinking less booze and the GAA is highly dependent on gargle money, coupled with the fact many local GAA clubs and branches are broke from decades of committes lining their own pockets and it all being hushed up. There is also no public money to really for them any more. AIB giving them more money! Yeah right...

So the only future for the GAA is a massive restructuring towards a slimmed down auster oraganisation and this will take away their power in the community. The GAA is and always has been a Political/Religious organisation which occasionally dabbles in sport. They cannot survive without implementing their dogmatic social controls bullying tactics on small rural communities anymore. They are no longer the only game in town.

Expect to see more incidents of ignorant Nazi pigfukery like the one in Castlemaine as this dying beast lashes out in its death screams.
No Surrender to the GAA.

Kildareman shows a disdain for the development of sporting grounds and/or locks. Presumably he'd like the GAA to leave their pitches open at night.

QuoteKildareman

This has been happening for years in every community in the land.
Its the norm for the local GAA clubs to take control of community grounds and take them as their own.
They built their clubhouses and then put locks on the gates.
Whats new????

Sheridan is a believer in conspiracy theories (and property theft it seems).

QuoteSheridan 

The first act of the new government should be to nationalise Croke Park, put the naming rights out to tender, freeze all grants to the GAA and instigate an immediate and wide-ranging tribunal into the links between government and funding of the organisation over the past twenty years.

Are you honestly surprised that the soccer community might react angrily to this sort of thing? Seriously?

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: dublinfella on April 12, 2009, 06:06:05 PM

Are you honestly surprised that the soccer community might react angrily to this sort of thing? Seriously?

There's anger and then there's obsessive self-deluded hatred. Many on that forum crossed to the latter a long time ago.