Soccer Pitch ploughed up on GAA instructions

Started by highorlow, April 06, 2009, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

quite possibly GDA, though i don't think there was anything like the squabbling like in the original post. i think it was all very civilised and everything was done for the benefit of the 2 clubs.

bingobus

I would say that this will have some lenght to run yet.

I agree that soccer clubs are in whole lazy when it comes to facilities but generally those that aren't are as well run as GAA clubs. In Monaghan the ones that have lasted have been the ones who have got off their ass'es, bought their grounds and developed over the years. These would be big opposition to GAA clubs in areas and don't have the parish rule in place to prevent them reaching into other areas for players. All the other clubs have folded over the years.

The action taken by the GAA club seems extreme but in some reports it came after 6 months of meetings, arguments, warnings, threats etc.

I don't like to see this sort of action been taken, as it sets a dangerous level and already the GAA pitch has been dug up. I doubt if a rugby pitch would have suffered the same fate.

Could the goalposts not have been removed or a legal barring order been taken out.

Orior

Quote from: stpauls on April 06, 2009, 02:06:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2009, 01:53:41 PM
Similar story line to St Pauls Holywood?

eh?

Did Holywood cricket club not kick up a fuss when you refused them access to your ground? Yes, that's right Gothar
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedandGreenSniper

There are a lot of pitches in the country where there is a lack of clarity over whether they are GAA pitches or community pitches and that can lead to a lot of difficulty. It would appear to be a big issue here.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on April 06, 2009, 02:12:23 PM
In fairness, they could have said "lads we'll be developing this, so yiz'll have to find somewhere else to play". It's a bit John B Keane (The Field) to just go out and plough it up at 5 a.m.!

That would have been the right thing to do,but sure why do it right when its much easier to be a w**ker about it... ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

As someone else said, its all a bit Bull McCabe. Out ploughing under cover of darkness?

The Real Laoislad

QuoteAsked why the actions had been carried out in darkness, Mr Conway said he was unsure

::)
I suppose it had nothing to do with the fact they knew they were doing wrong....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

fitzroyalty

magickingdom

this is all over the local papers and is going to get bitter. if i'm right i think the chairman of the soccer club was once the captain of the gaa club so as in any small community everyone will know each other. not sure of the rights or wrongs of it to be honest, if in fact it is gaa property then it will stay ploughed, if its a community field then soccer has as much right as gaa. no doubt the lawers will sort it out at a price. btw part of the gaa pitch was also dug up (after the ploughing) and an under 21 game had to be moved

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
Their property, they can do as they wish!
The point is that ownership of the pitch is disputed. All a bit unseemly in a small parish and I'd say it'll run.

Shocked they got a Kerryman up at that time to do the ploughing. Unless they got him on the way home from a lock-in!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
Their property, they can do as they wish!

I think the dispute is over whether it actually is their property or not.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Surely Tyrone are involved in this somewhere, or at the very least some of the other 'Ulster bies'?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magickingdom

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2009, 08:27:46 PM

Shocked they got a Kerryman up at that time to do the ploughing. Unless they got him on the way home from a lock-in!

think the ploughing was done around 7am, theres a few of us up at that stage :D

spectator

Quote from: highorlow on April 06, 2009, 01:31:57 PM
Meanhile, former senior captain of Milltown Castlemaine GAA club and player manager of Castlemaine United AFC, Jason Giles expressed his dismay at the recent developments and has decided to take action: "I will not be renewing my membership with Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA, a club I've been a lifelong member of. It's nothing against the players but I've been given no choice following this."

It's a sad day for a rural community when a functioning sportsfield is ploughed under the cover of darkness.

Proprietary issues are secondary, compared to the bad feelings this type of action engenders. Anyone who grew up in rural Ireland will understand that easily enough.

jodyb

The approach seems a bit harsh alright, but sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I know a case in (not gonna say where) of a soccer mad family who have allowed the local club play on family land for 15 years or so, always on the understanding that it was a temporary arrangement. 3 years ago when the father wanted to get sites for his 2 girls, he served the club with notice to move off. They promply blockaded the land and are in the process of sueing for squatters title. Looks like the family is gonna lose their own land.
I've no doubt that they now wish they'd locked the soccer club out instead of doing it the nice way.