Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 10, 2019, 09:13:17 AM
Glad to see Cassidy get his chance. He's been on the panel for a few years now biding his time and he deserves a start after his performance v Galway.

I'm surprised Cavanagh hasn't been named to start, did he miss any games for the Moy in April? I thought it was noticeable that whenever he came back into the team v Galway that he automatically resumed his sweeping role, playing very deep in front of the full back line, when we hadn't really been operating that way in the previous few games. We probably don't need to set up like that against Derry and maybe Harte thinks he doesn't have the legs to play as an orthodox midfielder. In any case, it is a great opportunity for Kennedy.

In relation to someone saying about dummy teams, the team Harte names for the first round game is generally accurate enough. I'd be surprised to see many changes now prior to throw in.

Regarding the lads that haven't made the bench, does anyone know if the likes of Grugan, Loughran, McClure are carrying injuries?

Harte did an interview during the week saying that we have a clean bill of health and that everyone was fit though a few were carrying niggles after club games.

Presume those mentioned were available.

I don't have too many complaints with the 26 named though I'd probably have the 3 mentioned in ahead of Conall McCann or McCrory at present, you can only use 6 subs in any case and I'd imagine Cavanagh, McAliskey, R Brennan, McCurry and Coney will be 5 of those used.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 09, 2019, 10:42:38 PM
1. Niall Morgan,
2. Padraig Hampsey,
3. Ronan McNamee,
4. Michael McKernan,
5. Michael Cassidy,
6. Ben McDonnell,
7. Tiernan McCann
8. Richard Donnelly,
9. Brian Kennedy;
10. Matthew Donnelly,
11. Niall Sludden,
12. Frank Burns;
13. Cathal McShane,
14. Peter Harte,
15. Conor Meyler

16. Benny Gallen
17. Lee Brennan
18. Rory Brennan
19. Colm Cavanagh
20. Kyle Coney
21. Conor McAliskey
22. Conall McCann
23. Aidan McCrory
24. Darren McCurry
25. Hugh Pat McGeary
26. Liam Rafferty

That's a team to run with Derry for 40-50 minutes then finish them off with the bench. Bit downhearted after seeing that line up. Echo the thoughts of others regarding Cassidy though.
Looks like Harte is reverting to type.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2019, 09:36:47 AM
1. Niall Morgan,
2. Padraig Hampsey,
3. Ronan McNamee,
4. Michael McKernan,
5. Michael Cassidy,
6. Ben McDonnell,
7. Tiernan McCann
8. Richard Donnelly,
9. Brian Kennedy;
10. Matthew Donnelly,
11. Niall Sludden,
12. Frank Burns;
13. Cathal McShane,
14. Peter Harte,
15. Conor Meyler

16. Benny Gallen
17. Lee Brennan
18. Rory Brennan
19. Colm Cavanagh
20. Kyle Coney
21. Conor McAliskey
22. Conall McCann
23. Aidan McCrory
24. Darren McCurry
25. Hugh Pat McGeary
26. Liam Rafferty

That's a team to run with Derry for 40-50 minutes then finish them off with the bench. Bit downhearted after seeing that line up. Echo the thoughts of others regarding Cassidy though.

Why do you think that? With the exception of Kieran McGeary who is missing, this is basically the same team that played in those league performances that were so encouraging. Just because Mattie Donnelly will be wearing number 10 doesn't mean he's not allowed to play in the full forward line for parts of the game...

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2019, 09:36:47 AM
1. Niall Morgan,
2. Padraig Hampsey,
3. Ronan McNamee,
4. Michael McKernan,
5. Michael Cassidy,
6. Ben McDonnell,
7. Tiernan McCann
8. Richard Donnelly,
9. Brian Kennedy;
10. Matthew Donnelly,
11. Niall Sludden,
12. Frank Burns;
13. Cathal McShane,
14. Peter Harte,
15. Conor Meyler

16. Benny Gallen
17. Lee Brennan
18. Rory Brennan
19. Colm Cavanagh
20. Kyle Coney
21. Conor McAliskey
22. Conall McCann
23. Aidan McCrory
24. Darren McCurry
25. Hugh Pat McGeary
26. Liam Rafferty

How in under God can you tell from that lineup that Harte is reverting to type? Honestly people love to moan.

GetOverTheBar

There is no inside mark in the Championship. McShane was a major beneficiary of it - Maybe so too Peter Harte. I don't see either or both standing inside against Derry with no mark to take advantage of, do you? - indeed before the mark you had to be certainly wondering about McShane nailing down a place in the team. But he took his chance massively. Meyler isn't and won't be a 15. Donnelly can come inside as pointed out though.

Where is the 'natural' forward in the starting 15? Tyrone, I think we'll all agree are coming into this one as raging favourites so it looks like he's picked a team that'll stretch Derry down the sides.

I'm not moaning, I'm saying I'll be surprised if Tyrone play like they played in the league, with no mark. When you see McAliskey, McCurry, Coney and Brennan on the bench, it makes sense to sap Derry and then try and blitz them in the finale. Simple tactics.

Redhand Santa

Without the mark it would be foolish to leave Mattie and McShane at full forward full time and hit long ball after long ball in. It's too easy to defend against. But it is a tactic we have to use more often and vary the attacks so we aren't predictable. By having the option it forces teams further back which will make the running game easier to play. The success of the long ball in is down to timing and quality of delivery. I still think we can have a lot of success with it but just have to time it right when it's used.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 10, 2019, 10:50:01 AM
Without the mark it would be foolish to leave Mattie and McShane at full forward full time and hit long ball after long ball in. It's too easy to defend against. But it is a tactic we have to use more often and vary the attacks so we aren't predictable. By having the option it forces teams further back which will make the running game easier to play. The success of the long ball in is down to timing and quality of delivery. I still think we can have a lot of success with it but just have to time it right when it's used.

Even with the mark it is foolish to hit long ball after long ball in. This wasn't the tactic Tyrone used in the league and we wouldn't have taken more than 2 or 3 marks in any particular game. The success we had was from smart kicking into the forward line when McShane and Donnelly used clever movement and physicality to find themselves a bit of space. I expect this to continue on Sunday although as others have stated, this needs to be mixed in with our traditional running game.

I would note that Kieran McGeary was one of those providing good kick passes into the full forward line throughout the league and he'll be a big loss for Sunday.

Onthe40

the way the last few league games went id expect Harte up front with McShane..Mattie roaming.

Fuzzman

I think the fact we have a plan B now and have solid target men to hit it into rather than just leaving one small man up it means Derry and whoever will not be as sure of how we play it in any more.
Being unpredictable is very important in any sport and with players like Mattie, Harte and even McShane, they have all shown they can win their own ball and kick a score or even take goals.
It will be interesting to see what role Meyler and Burns play.

omagh_gael

Colm Parkinson always made a pertinent point in relation to the rigidity of our running game. We had become so predicable that defenders knew that they could be really comfortable marking our forwards from the front. This led to guys like RoN, Bradley and L Brennan getting easily swamped with defenders out in front and ready to swarm immediately.

The fact that we now (even from reputation) have a realistic aerial threat and likely long early ball strategy in the toolbox keeps defenders honest. They'll be forced to mark behind or at least on the shoulder knowing that the potential for getting caught in behind is real.

I hope we see a solid 50:50 approach to long ball/running game on Sunday and through out the summer. Getting Lee/Conor on for last 20 to play off McShane et al could really be a potent weapon.

Dire Ear

Lee Brennan Cavanagh  McAliskey McCurry K McGeary could all get gametime near the end, in a game Tyrone should win by 7-8

redhandofgod

Quote from: Dire Ear on May 10, 2019, 06:12:54 PM
Lee Brennan Cavanagh  McAliskey McCurry K McGeary could all get gametime near the end, in a game Tyrone should win by 7-8
K McGeary wont, hes not in the 26, injured!

Dire Ear

skeog

Dire Ear

That's a pity;  a strong versatile player