Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Taylor

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 07, 2018, 04:15:30 PM
it isn't - USL players are probably making $2,000 to $3,000/month during the season

Thanks Gabe.
So players earn that.

Why are people posting it is very lucrative what a manger earns??

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on December 07, 2018, 10:07:42 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 07, 2018, 04:15:30 PM
it isn't - USL players are probably making $2,000 to $3,000/month during the season

Thanks Gabe.
So players earn that.

Why are people posting it is very lucrative what a manger earns??

If he hits in the USA - the financial gain long term will be enormous and it wouldn't be completely mad (if successful) to see an Irishman manage the USA National Soccer team, if he made a name for himself in the MLS2 or whatever this outfit league is called, it's not beyond realm of possibility he'll be at the MLS sooner than many think.

Jimmy has the head screwed on, Derry City/Dundalk....all these teams will always be there. He makes it in the USA he's set for life.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 08, 2018, 01:20:20 PMIf he hits in the USA - the financial gain long term will be enormous and it wouldn't be completely mad (if successful) to see an Irishman manage the USA National Soccer team, if he made a name for himself in the MLS2 or whatever this outfit league is called, it's not beyond realm of possibility he'll be at the MLS sooner than many think.

Jimmy has the head screwed on, Derry City/Dundalk....all these teams will always be there. He makes it in the USA he's set for life.

Steady on there

Do you know who this is? He's an Irishman who has been a USL coach for 4 years now - who has won the USL Championship for the last 2 years.

From the Bunker

Jez, McGuinness  has taken over a club that is 4 years old, has attendances that would look average in either of the Irish Leagues and ply their trade in the second tier of USA Soccer.

True he has to start somewhere, but he has a long journey still ahead of him. He is nearly 50 years old and I'd say there is a lot of work involved.

I wish him well. But GAA people can lose the run of themselves when it comes to one of their own.

ned

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 08, 2018, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 08, 2018, 01:20:20 PMIf he hits in the USA - the financial gain long term will be enormous and it wouldn't be completely mad (if successful) to see an Irishman manage the USA National Soccer team, if he made a name for himself in the MLS2 or whatever this outfit league is called, it's not beyond realm of possibility he'll be at the MLS sooner than many think.

Steady on there

Do you know who this is? He's an Irishman who has been a USL coach for 4 years now - who has won the USL Championship for the last 2 years.

He has won it once as manager.

skeog

He is starting low so the only way is up.Failure and his chances of going to a higher level will disappear.

ned

He has a head start on a lot of successful managers. Mourhino, Sarri, Wenger? At least McGuiness has played and managed his sport at the highest level. Won't make him any more or less successful but he has, I think, all the attributes to be a top soccer coach.

ck

Good luck to Jimmy but boy are some of you lot getting carried away. This is a low level of soccer so he's certainly starting at basement level. I'd heard he was in for a few low level jobs in Scottish lower leagues but didn't get them. USA have more of a record at taking a punt on left field managers so this was probably his only route to a job. Hope it works for him but people need to be realistic.

rrhf

Would he not make as much going into the Mayo job etc, along with other menu stuff, or even joining the dubs back room team.

marty34

That's what I would have thought - manage in Ireland, work with Sky and write a weekly article. Money is probably not the issue though.

I think though that he's commited to soccer on a full time basis and he wants to follow that through - to work with players on a daily basis.  This is how the soccer helps.  He is a very driven individual and to move to China and America is a big decision with family involved etc. Fair play to him.

I hope it works out and he gets what he wants out of it. I wish him well and I'd hope to see him back nearer home managing a soccer team!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 08, 2018, 04:26:02 PM

Steady on there

Nobody has a clue who he is - that's the point.

This is the United States - its not essential that you actually are the best at what you do as long as you have some sort of personality / PR / selling point.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ned on December 08, 2018, 10:29:14 PM
He has a head start on a lot of successful managers. Mourhino, Sarri, Wenger? At least McGuiness has played and managed his sport at the highest level. Won't make him any more or less successful but he has, I think, all the attributes to be a top soccer coach.

There are a line of much more experienced people who have played at a decent level or higher that are queuing up for decent Managerial jobs. He is no more ahead of most of them. If anything he is behind them.

As I said - I hope it works out.  I expect him to have a fair rattle at it.

rrhf

Agreed. Would love to see him doing well, coming back and taking forest to the prem.

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

He'll need all the luck he can get. A lot of hot air been spoken here . There is no good soccer club in the world  going to take a punt on an unproven manager with no track record where the stakes are so high .

I suspect he'd have been far better off taking an Irish Soccer Club.