Laois Junior Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on August 14, 2018, 12:24:00 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 14, 2018, 12:19:12 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on August 14, 2018, 10:12:24 AM
Also thought that this should of happened with us and abbeyleix when they decided to go together. Either go the full way with it or dont do it, half measures dont cut it.

Kind of a funny arrangement with Abbeyleix? Ye changed yer name, what did they do?
Abbeyleix were a dual club.
Ballyroan were a football club.
Abbeyleix disbanded their football club and threw their lot in with Ballyroan. In theory.
Ballyroan didn't do likewise.
No reason for Abbeyleix to change anything in their club.

Blowing like the wind these days! Big knock on effect on the way!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 01, 2018, 04:19:25 AM
I wouldn't be so sure BA that it doesn't affect Ballyroan Abbey.

Abbeyleix players will become members of a football only club- they will have to play football with Abbeyleix. They can then hurl with AbbeyKil. .
The only way they could kick with Ballyroan is if Ballyroan apply to play as a Gaels team. But wasn't the name change to Ballyroan Abbey specifically to avoid this?

Same applies to Spink. Ballinakill players will have to kick with Ballinakill.Spink can't enter a Gaels team (they are not senior) so how will Ballinakill players play there? Knock on effect for Crettyard too.

It's not that long ago that Ballyroan players helped Pickas survive on an annual basis. I remember Tierney & McMahon helping them win a Junior C one year around 2006/7!
Spot on there. Huge implications if this thing goes through. You simply can't kick football with Ballyroan Abbey and hurl with Abbeyleix Ballinakill as it's proposed to be set up with junior C football teams retaining Abbeyleix and Ballinakill's identities.

Target Man

Quote from: SCFC on December 01, 2018, 10:53:36 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 01, 2018, 04:19:25 AM
I wouldn't be so sure BA that it doesn't affect Ballyroan Abbey.

Abbeyleix players will become members of a football only club- they will have to play football with Abbeyleix. They can then hurl with AbbeyKil. .
The only way they could kick with Ballyroan is if Ballyroan apply to play as a Gaels team. But wasn't the name change to Ballyroan Abbey specifically to avoid this?

Same applies to Spink. Ballinakill players will have to kick with Ballinakill.Spink can't enter a Gaels team (they are not senior) so how will Ballinakill players play there? Knock on effect for Crettyard too.

It's not that long ago that Ballyroan players helped Pickas survive on an annual basis. I remember Tierney & McMahon helping them win a Junior C one year around 2006/7!
Spot on there. Huge implications if this thing goes through. You simply can't kick football with Ballyroan Abbey and hurl with Abbeyleix Ballinakill as it's proposed to be set up with junior C football teams retaining Abbeyleix and Ballinakill's identities.

Think it's supposed to work as follows:
Hurlers register to New Club (hurling only club)
Footballers register to BA or Spink ( football only clubs)
Ballinakill and Abbeyleix enter junior c football teams, not using or registering any players who play football with BA or Spink🤔. Ballinakill and Abbeyleix would be football only clubs in theory next year.

Not sure of legalities of all that and seems very unwieldy
but think that's what is supposed to happen

BallyroanAbu

So lets do it this way

Every child in the parish registers with Ballyroan Abbey for Football and Ballinakill Abbeyleix for Hurling.

He is not eligible for Abbeyleix for Junior C Football as Ballyroan Abbey is his club football wise

He will have to seek a transfer to play Junior C with Abbeyleix which will not be sought or given by either club.

Most if not all Abbeyleix players would be ineligible to play Junior C with Abbeyleix as they are all Ballyroan Abbey registered footballers.

Jd

I'd imagine the two hurling clubs  amalgamate  for hurling which is a totally  new and separate  stand alone club Ballyroan Abbey  still exists  as a stand alone football club as do Spink so Abbeyleix  footballers  go to BA and Ballinakill  lads to Spink as is currently  happening.  Nothing has changed  except the formation of a new hurling  club and the disbandment of two current  ones.  Why would either hurling club start junior C football when they're not playing football now

BallyroanAbu

To keep their Name/History  and to store current Club Debt/Property/Money etc.  I think Spink are in bigger danger than ourselves as they are pretty much reliant on Ballinakill hurlers.  As I said before this will benefit the stronger clubs in either code as they will pick off the best players from the smaller clubs be it at registration or transfers.  With this on offer and if you are of a decent standard who would want to play with weaker clubs.  Don't say history or pride what's coming through does not care about that.

Keyser Söze

So who is going to line out and play Junior C Football with Abbeyleix or Ballinakill if none of them are Abbeyleix/Ballinakill players?

It will kill Spink and Ballypickas for a start.
It will also become messy when players are told at 16/17 that they are not good enough for Ballyroan so please transfer back to Abbeyleix there to make up numbers on a Junior C Football team to keep the club alive.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Jd

Absolutely  but then how will this affect Spink I'm sure the Ballinakill  lads will have the option of registering with Spink too which I'd  imagine will happen.  I know that this discussion  has already happened  and Ballinakill  have not suggested starting a football  team.  As an aside do ye think that some young hurlers from Abbeyleix will register for them and decide to kick ball with them too rather than BA or do they have to register for BA from the start?? 

High Fielder

Is this a temporary arrangement or a new club? If it's a temporary arrangement I think the CB would be wise to reject it. If it's permanent, then they should go in hook line and sinker. Hurling, football, underage - the whole lot. If this is the wish of the two clubs members then we need to respect that. But I see no  value in lads being scattered to football clubs nearby.