Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimbaud82

Must be odd for the players though, having to go again. Maybe the antrim guys will be geared up to set things right (from their point of view), whereas after all the joy and celebrations it's probably even stranger from a Meath pov.

theskull1

Its a real hames for both teams, but I have to admit, its sticking in my craw the childish lack of up front honesty from Meath officialdom at the minute.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Yes, it's obvious that they are desperate to avoid a replay, but I guarantee you some of their mentors knew the scoreline full well on Saturday. And if they don't, then a cursory viewing of the game would clarify it.

The phantom point, for reasons I outline above, is an irrelevance.

That said, I feel terribly sorry for their players. It was obviously a very big deal for them.

I also think Meath were brazen in going ahead with receptions in Trim and the like, even the next evening, when it was obvious what had happened, and what was likely to be the outcome. They tried to dare the GAA to call a replay, and the GAA have called their bluff.

Sea The Stars

In fairness to Meath, we did enquire about the score around the 62nd/63rd minute and when the linesman radioed into the ref, he told them the scoreboard was correct. Meath played the game on the scoreboard's terms from then on, i.e. went for goals when they needed them, ran down time when they thought they were a point up. At least that's what was reported.

Also Hawk-eye is supposed to check everything? Has it ever actually happened where a shot was incorrectly called and Hawk-eye intervened? I don't ever recall such a scenario which makes me slightly dubious of the claims below. The other point to make here is why the hell the system can't maintain the score automatically? Surely that should be a basic requirement?

This is a ridiculous situation and I wonder if the same set of circumstances would have been allowed play out in an All-Ireland Final. It was made worse by the president preempting the outcome of the CCCC's decision and said CCCC not convening until 3 days after the game.

Finally I don't like the black and white view that it was a draw, therefore it must be replayed. Both teams played the game on the merits of the scoreboard in the last ten minutes. Meath won and in those initial few minutes after the game, Antrim had no complaints.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Sea The Stars on June 07, 2016, 11:30:51 PM
In fairness to Meath, we did enquire about the score around the 62nd/63rd minute and when the linesman radioed into the ref, he told them the scoreboard was correct. Meath played the game on the scoreboard's terms from then on, i.e. went for goals when they needed them, ran down time when they thought they were a point up. At least that's what was reported.

Also Hawk-eye is supposed to check everything? Has it ever actually happened where a shot was incorrectly called and Hawk-eye intervened? I don't ever recall such a scenario which makes me slightly dubious of the claims below. The other point to make here is why the hell the system can't maintain the score automatically? Surely that should be a basic requirement?

This is a ridiculous situation and I wonder if the same set of circumstances would have been allowed play out in an All-Ireland Final. It was made worse by the president preempting the outcome of the CCCC's decision and said CCCC not convening until 3 days after the game.

Finally I don't like the black and white view that it was a draw, therefore it must be replayed. Both teams played the game on the merits of the scoreboard in the last ten minutes. Meath won and in those initial few minutes after the game, Antrim had no complaints.

I certainly saw that happen before, re hawkeye intervening. I can't remember the game, but basically just before the kick out (I think it was football), the referee blew the whistle to stop play, made the signal, and the decision came on the screen, and the umpire had to 're signal'.

As for the president, yes, he jumped the gun.

As for the black and white nature, I think it is fairly black and white. At the end of the day, the referee's report is the final arbiter on the result, and in this case the referee's report has indicated the match was a draw.

It's a balls for Meath, and as I said I do feel sorry for them, but I think the brinksmanship they engaged in with celebrations on Sunday etc were very inappropriate given the circumstances.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2016, 11:29:26 PM
Yes, it's obvious that they are desperate to avoid a replay, but I guarantee you some of their mentors knew the scoreline full well on Saturday. And if they don't, then a cursory viewing of the game would clarify it.

The phantom point, for reasons I outline above, is an irrelevance.

That said, I feel terribly sorry for their players. It was obviously a very big deal for them.

I also think Meath were brazen in going ahead with receptions in Trim and the like, even the next evening, when it was obvious what had happened, and what was likely to be the outcome. They tried to dare the GAA to call a replay, and the GAA have called their bluff.

My last post talks a bit about your first two points. When Meath enquired, they were told the scoreline was correct. Any examples when hawk-eye has intervened on a decision? I don't recall any. If the system is so great, why cannot be programmed with a basic function like maintain the score?

Finally your last paragraph is ridiculous. Are you suggesting that Meath should have put their celebrations on hold so the CCCC can enjoy the long weekend? The brazenness of Croke Park officialdom is the only example of such in this whole sorry scenario.

AZOffaly

Yes, Meath should not have traipsed the team around the county on Sunday when the world and his mother knew the result was likely to be overturned.

And I addressed your point re Hawkeye. I saw it happen, I just can't remember which game. Maybe one of the other lads will remember. The description of its function is there above in my second last post.

Do you think Meath GAA are right here? What would your optimum scenario be? Meath win, even though the referee's report says it was a draw? Now that's ridiculous.

As for Hawkeye maintaining the score, of course it could. It's computer software, it can do whatever you program it to do. But that is moot. As I've said before, the official arbiter is the referee. He obviously gave Meath wrong information in the 63rd minute or whenever they asked, but the gospel is his match report. That report says draw, and if every scoreboard in Croke PArk and on TG4 says different, it doesn't matter a shite.

Sea The Stars

What irritates me most is how these Fr. Ted moments continue to exist in the GAA with little or no corrective action.

For example, will they program Hawk-Eye to maintain the score from now on? Doubtful.
Will such an important committee like the CCCC offer some kind of 24/7 service going forward? Doubtful. In fact why not ask them to meet up every Saturday and Sunday evening to address moments like this as soon as they happen?
Why not publish the hawk-eye images of all scores on the GAA's website? I mean what harm could that do. I wonder in tennis if there's free access to all hawk-eye images?

AZOffaly

Couple of comments inline.

Quote from: Sea The Stars on June 07, 2016, 11:44:12 PM
What irritates me most is how these Fr. Ted moments continue to exist in the GAA with little or no corrective action. - AGREE!!

For example, will they program Hawk-Eye to maintain the score from now on? Doubtful. - I don't think they will, but they could.

Will such an important committee like the CCCC offer some kind of 24/7 service going forward? Doubtful. In fact why not ask them to meet up every Saturday and Sunday evening to address moments like this as soon as they happen? - AGREE I've said that for years.

Why not publish the hawk-eye images of all scores on the GAA's website? I mean what harm could that do. I wonder in tennis if there's free access to all hawk-eye images? - AGREE.

Sea The Stars

Do I think Meath are right? As a Meath supporter, I think Meath would be completely out of their depth even competing with the likes of Westmeath, Kerry, Offaly, etc next year. That's my opinion anyway. A not altogether impossible compromise of Antrim going up and Meath keeping the cup and the title as champions but remaining in the CR Cup for another year would probably serve both counties interests best in the medium to long term.

manfromdelmonte

Would any other county have behaved like Meath did?

Milltown Row2

It wasn't a point, why are Meath, and Meath supporters' claiming a point when it wasn't?? I personally as a player would be very embarrassed to win a trophy that I didn't actually win....

And why cant Meath come out and play that second half again but in both half's?? They out worked Antrim in second half and were good value for the draw  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No wides

Surely the point of Hawk eye is where the officials can't decide, if all agree a point is a point or it is wide, why would you call on hawk eye?

oakleafgael

Quote from: No wides on June 08, 2016, 08:24:35 AM

Surely the point of Hawk eye is where the officials can't decide, if all agree a point is a point or it is wide, why would you call on hawk eye?

For Hawkeye to intervene would it not actually need to be turned on?

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2016, 11:41:29 PM
Yes, Meath should not have traipsed the team around the county on Sunday when the world and his mother knew the result was likely to be overturned.

And I addressed your point re Hawkeye. I saw it happen, I just can't remember which game. Maybe one of the other lads will remember. The description of its function is there above in my second last post.

Do you think Meath GAA are right here? What would your optimum scenario be? Meath win, even though the referee's report says it was a draw? Now that's ridiculous.

As for Hawkeye maintaining the score, of course it could. It's computer software, it can do whatever you program it to do. But that is moot. As I've said before, the official arbiter is the referee. He obviously gave Meath wrong information in the 63rd minute or whenever they asked, but the gospel is his match report. That report says draw, and if every scoreboard in Croke PArk and on TG4 says different, it doesn't matter a shite.

I kinda feel sorry for Meath and as Sea the Stars says you play the game in front of you. You ask for official clarification on the score (as did Antrim) and both were told the scoreboard was right. At this point we have to presume that the referees notebook was the same as the scoreboard.
What were they meant to do?

I presume its common protocol for a referee to tally the scores right after the game ends, no?

If after the game the referee realised his mistake then he and the Croke Park team should have had the cahonies to stop the presentation and announce on the tannoy that there'd been a mistake.

I get the distinct impression that the referees notebook had a Meath victory and it was only after reviewing the game that the proper scoreline has come out.

An absolute mess with no winners.