Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

five points

Quote from: lenny on June 25, 2019, 10:55:40 AM

Intermediate and junior club players put in a huge amount of effort to win championships. Their supporters follow them loyally. They are not good enough to be in senior but it doesn't mean they can't have something they can enter with genuine hope of winning. Why can that not work at county level. It works well at county hurling, county camogie and ladies football. The only strand of gaa where there is no tiering is county football and it is completely illogical.

One reason intermediate and junior won't work at county level as high-level team sport these days is an expensive business requiring considerable public support to make it financially viable.

Rossfan

Obviously a goodly number of players and managers, County Officials etc must be buying into a " 2nd tier" seeing as it's still under serious consideration.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

I now hope it's brought in so we can put an end to the conversation about it.

irish345

do tg4 show junior and intermediate club championships

Keyser soze

There's a couple of Derry men on here rabidly espousing the introduction of Tiers, do you not realise that Derry will be in the dogshit ranks, have we not have had a shitty enough year without prolonging it any further by beating some other shit teams in a shit competition. Though I suppose it will give us an opportunity to develop some young players as anyone who is worth a f**k would be pissing off to America rather than endure the humiliation of playing for the dogshit cup.

Rossfan

That Keyser seems to be an expert on shit. ::)

lenny

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 25, 2019, 11:27:12 AM
There's a couple of Derry men on here rabidly espousing the introduction of Tiers, do you not realise that Derry will be in the dogshit ranks, have we not have had a shitty enough year without prolonging it any further by beating some other shit teams in a shit competition. Though I suppose it will give us an opportunity to develop some young players as anyone who is worth a f**k would be pissing off to America rather than endure the humiliation of playing for the dogshit cup.

Derry would start off in junior or intermediate which is appropriate for our ability at the moment. I would prefer us to be there than in senior where we have no chance to win anything and are getting our asses handed to us regularly over the last 5 or 6 years. Would you call junior or intermediate club championships dogshit cups?

lenny

Keyser soze

Quote from: lenny on June 25, 2019, 11:36:41 AM

Derry would start off in junior or intermediate which is appropriate for our ability at the moment. I would prefer us to be there than in senior where we have no chance to win anything and are getting our asses handed to us regularly over the last 5 or 6 years. Would you call junior or intermediate club championships dogshit cups?

We can't get our best players to commit to train and play for us as it is, how dyu think we will manage to do that if we are playing in a Mickey Mouse cup. We have been getting our ass handed to us because we are not good enough, we should take it like men instead of seeking the fig leaf of some second rate competition.

It was like that Div 4 final, it was embarassing to see Chrissy going up to collect that cup and you could see it was humiliating for the players to have to be there to play in it.

lenny

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 25, 2019, 11:49:24 AM

We can't get our best players to commit to train and play for us as it is, how dyu think we will manage to do that if we are playing in a Mickey Mouse cup. We have been getting our ass handed to us because we are not good enough, we should take it like men instead of seeking the fig leaf of some second rate competition.

It was like that Div 4 final, it was embarassing to see Chrissy going up to collect that cup and you could see it was humiliating for the players to have to be there to play in it.

Maybe the players aren't committing because they know they are going to have to train hard with no chance of success. They are literally giving up so many ordinary things in their lives to be a county player and with no remote chance of reward in the form of success. That is why they are not committing and who could blame them. Put them at the level they should be playing at with a chance of success and a realistic training schedule and most would commit. I don't see any junior or intermediate club players not committing for their teams just because they're not playing at senior level. I enjoyed the Division 4 final and wasn't the least embarrassed. It was great to see Derry winning a final in croke park. I'm sure the players really enjoyed that part of the season also.

Keyser soze

Quote from: lenny on June 25, 2019, 12:27:20 PM

Maybe the players aren't committing because they know they are going to have to train hard with no chance of success. They are literally giving up so many ordinary things in their lives to be a county player and with no remote chance of reward in the form of success. That is why they are not committing and who could blame them. Put them at the level they should be playing at with a chance of success and a realistic training schedule and most would commit. I don't see any junior or intermediate club players not committing for their teams just because they're not playing at senior level. I enjoyed the Division 4 final and wasn't the least embarrassed. It was great to see Derry winning a final in croke park. I'm sure the players really enjoyed that part of the season also.

I know half a dozen people that attended that game, the majority of these people go to every Derry match in the full regalia, would struggle to take you to half the club grounds in the county as they happily admit they never watch club football. 

They are happy to get a day out at a Derry match and it doesn't appear to bother them too much if we win lose or draw other than whether they have an excuse for another day out.

It was abundantly clear from the players demeanour that they were embarassed at being presented with that cup, and rightly so, as indeed any self respecting player or supporter should be.   

Rossfan

Why did they win it then?
It's the only adult County Cup or medal most of them ever won or will win.
It's not 1993 any more.

lenny

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 25, 2019, 12:41:51 PM

I know half a dozen people that attended that game, the majority of these people go to every Derry match in the full regalia, would struggle to take you to half the club grounds in the county as they happily admit they never watch club football. 

They are happy to get a day out at a Derry match and it doesn't appear to bother them too much if we win lose or draw other than whether they have an excuse for another day out.

It was abundantly clear from the players demeanour that they were embarassed at being presented with that cup, and rightly so, as indeed any self respecting player or supporter should be.   

You're essentially saying that 2/3 of our association (ie the club intermediate and junior players) shouldn't even bother playing because they should be embarrassed and ashamed to be playing on crap teams. All county division 3 and 4 county teams likewise. Interesting viewpoint thankfully not shared by too many.

five points

Quote from: lenny on June 25, 2019, 01:37:56 PM
You're essentially saying that 2/3 of our association (ie the club intermediate and junior players) shouldn't even bother playing because they should be embarrassed and ashamed to be playing on crap teams. All county division 3 and 4 county teams likewise. Interesting viewpoint thankfully not shared by too many.
He didn't say that of course.

It's quite natural that players in counties used to playing in Divisions 1 & 2 would be dismayed to be relegated to Division 4.

Keyser soze

Quote from: lenny on June 25, 2019, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 25, 2019, 12:41:51 PM

There aren't too many playing any level of club football this summer in Derry what with the 11 week break in the leagues. And there would be less if it was up to you, as long as you get to pull on your Derry jersey every weekend you will be happy. So I don'tr see any point in debating with you about club football as you clearly have zero interest in it.

We have already been beat twice in the championship this summer and you want us to get more games, I could guarantee that if Derry were entering a second tier at this stage there wouldn't be any appetite amongst the players for it.