Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2024, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 13, 2024, 01:44:17 PMIve heard good reports about the preperation etc. But to withdraw is a bit disappointing. They had a panel of 33 players, Let the lads go and join the senior panel who were asked and stay with them. Could number 16 to 33 not get gametime v the Roscommons etc? Are we hurling snobs? As JC jokingly said, its our level. Derry played in it last year and climbed the steps of croke park

With the resources player wise Antrim really shouldn't be getting caught out like this at U20 level, but I do agree with  what you are doing at U17 level by playing your U17's in Leinster and the U16's in Ulster, makes total sense.

Im wondering if the Antrim management took Derry for granted here.

One thing that should never be done is to underestimate your opponent, especially any hurling team coming out of Derry.

I heard that Joe McLaughlin was subjected to a lot of slabbering from the Derry players.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2024, 11:07:03 AM
Quote from: JonnyD_ on March 14, 2024, 10:25:26 AMThats all i have, a positive attitude! particularly towards our lovely referees.

Nice to have you onboard totes.
 ;D

The mask will slip soon enough  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 14, 2024, 12:33:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2024, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 13, 2024, 01:44:17 PMIve heard good reports about the preperation etc. But to withdraw is a bit disappointing. They had a panel of 33 players, Let the lads go and join the senior panel who were asked and stay with them. Could number 16 to 33 not get gametime v the Roscommons etc? Are we hurling snobs? As JC jokingly said, its our level. Derry played in it last year and climbed the steps of croke park

With the resources player wise Antrim really shouldn't be getting caught out like this at U20 level, but I do agree with  what you are doing at U17 level by playing your U17's in Leinster and the U16's in Ulster, makes total sense.

Im wondering if the Antrim management took Derry for granted here.

One thing that should never be done is to underestimate your opponent, especially any hurling team coming out of Derry.

I heard that Joe McLaughlin was subjected to a lot of slabbering from the Derry players.

Joe needs to get used to this part of the game as the dark arts will be used against him going forward. His clubmate even announced him as the next big thing on the sunday game past. Hes still at school. Think he needs a little more protection

Milltown Row2

Clubs are always talking up the next big thing and that's fine to a point.

Let them bed in, lets see where they are in 2 or 3 years when they start to hit 23/24 years of age, how they physically pan out. Lads that have been super minors and even burst on the scene as young seniors can sometimes drift off and not be bothered.

Seen many 'stars' over the years and many never live up to the hype

Women, college, drink and partying always play a part :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2024, 01:48:50 PMClubs are always talking up the next big thing and that's fine to a point.

Let them bed in, lets see where they are in 2 or 3 years when they start to hit 23/24 years of age, how they physically pan out. Lads that have been super minors and even burst on the scene as young seniors can sometimes drift off and not be bothered.

As big Ger Rogan once commented to a C&P coach who was raving about the next big thing out of NA, "Wait till he finds out what his cóck is really for!"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2024, 01:50:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2024, 01:48:50 PMClubs are always talking up the next big thing and that's fine to a point.

As big Ger Rogan once commented to a C&P coach who was raving about the next big thing out of NA, "Wait till he finds out what his cóck is really for!"

I wouldn't have put it as eloquently as Ger  ;D  but yeah 

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 13, 2024, 12:09:05 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2024, 12:02:08 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 13, 2024, 11:50:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2024, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 13, 2024, 10:53:39 AM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 12, 2024, 03:16:57 PMI thought the u20s had a serious looking panel with plenty of firepower up top. Couldnt make the game but a forward line with joe mclaughlin, aodhan mcgarry, niall mcgarrell and cormac mckeown should be a serious outfit

Seniors are where probably expected with the few opting out, retirements etc

U20s would be more of a concern for sure.

I'd done a couple of trial games leading up to the start of the championship and its not for the lack of effort put in from what I could see, probably just beaten by the better team on the day?

Yeah as far as I am aware the preparations were good, which to me makes it even more worrying that we aren't beating Derry (No disrespect intended)

Is that the campaign over or do they still get into Leinster for the AI?

Derry are now in the Leinster B championship, Antrim could well be in an AI "B" competition or even lower down, my contact hasn't got back to me yet.

They aren't in any of them, they have decided not to enter and their season is over

Who's decision is that?

Why do they not go into AI B competition?

A lot of comments on here smell of big time arrogance.

No inter-county hurling for the majority of them lads now and we're just into March.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2024, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 13, 2024, 01:16:31 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 13, 2024, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 13, 2024, 12:09:05 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2024, 12:02:08 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 13, 2024, 11:50:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2024, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 13, 2024, 10:53:39 AM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 12, 2024, 03:16:57 PMI thought the u20s had a serious looking panel with plenty of firepower up top. Couldnt make the game but a forward line with joe mclaughlin, aodhan mcgarry, niall mcgarrell and cormac mckeown should be a serious outfit

Seniors are where probably expected with the few opting out, retirements etc

U20s would be more of a concern for sure.

I'd done a couple of trial games leading up to the start of the championship and its not for the lack of effort put in from what I could see, probably just beaten by the better team on the day?

Yeah as far as I am aware the preparations were good, which to me makes it even more worrying that we aren't beating Derry (No disrespect intended)

Is that the campaign over or do they still get into Leinster for the AI?

Derry are now in the Leinster B championship, Antrim could well be in an AI "B" competition or even lower down, my contact hasn't got back to me yet.

They aren't in any of them, they have decided not to enter and their season is over

Well then there would need to be a few more questions asked now if that is the case.

Would there have been anything to gain plying in an All Ireland B against the likes of Roscommon, Donegal etc ? Management not players wanted to take part.

They have been training since November,some of them involved with CPC & GT in the Mageean & the GT players still on the go until this weekend. They have probably had enough

If that's your level, then that's your level.
 ;)

Very good JC.

JonnyD_

re:u20s (two points if may, as the newbie)
Development / Mentally: those young fellas have been training all winter, training and playing games on heavy, wet pitches. surely the prize for them is some spring / nice weather hurling. players dont want a season to end at this time of year with nothing to show other than memories of cold dark nights at Dunsilly. How will Antrim hurling sell  the dream to those players that can also play again next year?

Financially: i think its maybe a tad disrespectful of the management team not entering into the lower tier competitions. think that group has been together for a few years now and will most likely move on / back to their clubs. bad loss to Derry at home in Corrigan, losses last year and the previous years by considerable margins against 'tier 2' Leinster teams. hard one to take for the players and management - espcecially for the county treasurer who's running the costing spreadsheet vs the return (out of competitive hurling before St Patrick's Day)

btw not having a go at the managers

Milltown Row2

Are we disrespecting Derry here?

Anyone at the game? Were Derry the better team on the day?

Not sure on the arrogance or the background on the reasons why, I'm sure those reasons were aired before entering and not entering and rubbered stamped.

Never heard any issues about that before the loss, but on cue people are looking answers like they have a vested interest in it.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2024, 06:28:00 PMAre we disrespecting Derry here?

Anyone at the game? Were Derry the better team on the day?

Not sure on the arrogance or the background on the reasons why, I'm sure those reasons were aired before entering and not entering and rubbered stamped.

Never heard any issues about that before the loss, but on cue people are looking answers like they have a vested interest in it.

We probaby are disrespecting Derry as they are pushing at that level. They scored more than us, we can have no complaints. On the day winner takes all.

Ive heard from various sources saying the set up was good and the training. Challenge games down south etc. Didnt perfrom. Full stop

Withdrawing from the B/C Competition id have a problem with. Play the games! Ask the players who wants to play on. Im sure theres lads not on the panel who would love to pull the antrim jersey on if other boys walked away

imtommygunn

Our u20s have not been performing at A level in their previous age groups so I think it's a bit silly to not enter into the B or C competition.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2024, 10:41:17 AMOur u20s have not been performing at A level in their previous age groups so I think it's a bit silly to not enter into the B or C competition.

We have been in tier 2 in Leinster in previous years in U-20, Meath, Westmeath, Laois, Carlow etc. That would be our level (and we never won it to progress to Tier 1, from memory anyway)

The B competition is a different ballgame, it would be 40 point victories I'm guessing
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Ah ok that would make more sense.

NorthAntrim

If we snuck over the line by 1 point and progressed. Derry wouldve played B Competition. They beat Roscommon by 6 points in the final last year (in croke park) and have a good wack of that panel available this year? Why do we think we are too good for this??