Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogieman

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 22, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
How will Cargin fair in Ulster. Thats the real question here.

Please don't...

ask this question... ...
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

imtommygunn

Donegal champions look good so i think cargin are up against it.

Hectic

Quote from: Sportacus on October 22, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Aghagallon beat St Brigid's in the U14 County Final.  More hype  ;)

Yeah look all you can ask for is success and then see if you can breed it through. No guarantees but still better to be winning.

Spike

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2018, 07:24:40 AM

Would you suggest that while the Antrim Championship, for the first time in decades looks like a real competition between 4 or 5 clubs, the overall quality of the teams has dipped as Cargin and St Galls have regressed?

The Gs Man

Quote from: Hectic on October 23, 2018, 07:53:28 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on October 22, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Aghagallon beat St Brigid's in the U14 County Final.  More hype  ;)

Yeah look all you can ask for is success and then see if you can breed it through. No guarantees but still better to be winning.

We've had a great year at underage alright, winning either SW or County titles at each age group from U12 up.  Added to that our large representation on the MacRory / Hogan winning team.

Biggest disappointment was the semi-final loss to St.Galls in the minor championship.  We just didn't turn up for that game, particularly as there was a real buzz around the team and that it would be our best chance to win a minor title.

Still, as Hectic says, the challenge is transferring that underage success into senior, but hopefully we're going in the right direction!
Keep 'er lit

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2018, 09:45:24 AM

Would you suggest that while the Antrim Championship, for the first time in decades looks like a real competition between 4 or 5 clubs, the overall quality of the teams has dipped as Cargin and St Galls have regressed?

You may be right in ur assumption that both Cargin and St Gall's have 'regressed' but the fact is Mac Namee resides in Toome again and are any teams in our county capable of the sort of football produced by those two in that never to be forgotten semi final....

Spike

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 23, 2018, 11:09:09 AM

You may be right in ur assumption that both Cargin and St Gall's have 'regressed' but the fact is Mac Namee resides in Toome again and are any teams in our county capable of the sort of football produced by those two in that never to be forgotten semi final....

Quick answer - nope, no other teams in Antrim are capable of what Cargin and St Galls brought to the table this year. But was this the swansong of two great teams, and what will we be left with once they are gone?

NAG1

Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2018, 01:01:15 PM

Quick answer - nope, no other teams in Antrim are capable of what Cargin and St Galls brought to the table this year. But was this the swansong of two great teams, and what will we be left with once they are gone?

I would hardly think you can describe the recent Cargin team as 'Great'?

St Galls yes for what they achieved beyond Antrim, but Cargin no.

Spike

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2018, 01:25:04 PM

They've been 1st or 2nd in Antrim for over 30 years now, before and after St Galls mighty team and perhaps would have been unstoppable but for the 2000 row (and subsequent suspensions) with St Pauls, which let St Galls emerge from the doldrums.   Surely they deserve some credit, if for nothing else, keeping Antrim club football at a good level?  St Pauls, Johnnies, Portglenone & Lamh Dhearg have failed to stay the course for any more than a few seasons. Perhaps Creggan will be different

NAG1

Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2018, 02:28:02 PM

They've been 1st or 2nd in Antrim for over 30 years now, before and after St Galls mighty team and perhaps would have been unstoppable but for the 2000 row (and subsequent suspensions) with St Pauls, which let St Galls emerge from the doldrums.   Surely they deserve some credit, if for nothing else, keeping Antrim club football at a good level?  St Pauls, Johnnies, Portglenone & Lamh Dhearg have failed to stay the course for any more than a few seasons. Perhaps Creggan will be different

Why would they deserve credit? They are in a championship to win it and being in the top two when there are only two serious contenders (for the most part) to me is not a recipe for greatness.

IMO taking that prviliged position in Antrim (only one team to beat) and developing it into a successful Ulster campaign or even beyond would make them great. However they repeadtedly failed to do so, therefore they can be content with being Antrim Champs but thats as far as it goes.

Spike

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2018, 02:33:11 PM

Why would they deserve credit? They are in a championship to win it and being in the top two when there are only two serious contenders (for the most part) to me is not a recipe for greatness.

IMO taking that prviliged position in Antrim (only one team to beat) and developing it into a successful Ulster campaign or even beyond would make them great. However they repeadtedly failed to do so, therefore they can be content with being Antrim Champs but thats as far as it goes.

Aren't we talking about Antrim Championship here?  Do Crossmaglen look at St Galls and laugh at their 1 AI despite numerous attempts at it? No is the answer.

St Galls are the best team to come out of Antrim - end of - but to deny Cargin as the high level barometer of Antrim football for 30 years is simply incorrect.

Presently there appears no team in Antrim bar St Galls and Cargin to provide such a level.  One wonders if we will see the likes of St Galls / Cargin again.  possibly we will have more competition but at a lower level.

NAG1

Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2018, 02:46:36 PM

Aren't we talking about Antrim Championship here?  Do Crossmaglen look at St Galls and laugh at their 1 AI despite numerous attempts at it? No is the answer.

St Galls are the best team to come out of Antrim - end of - but to deny Cargin as the high level barometer of Antrim football for 30 years is simply incorrect.

Presently there appears no team in Antrim bar St Galls and Cargin to provide such a level.  One wonders if we will see the likes of St Galls / Cargin again.  possibly we will have more competition but at a lower level.

I at no point was denying Cargin's Antrim championship pedigree. My arguement was that you called them great, to be great I simply pointed out that for me that to be regarded as that they would have needed to do a bit more than win a two horse race ever year.

The longevity in their competitivenss is to be admired, but again IMO not an arguement for greatness.

It's all a game of opinions in here and I am just expressing mine.

country bumpkin

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2018, 02:54:51 PM

I at no point was denying Cargin's Antrim championship pedigree. My arguement was that you called them great, to be great I simply pointed out that for me that to be regarded as that they would have needed to do a bit more than win a two horse race ever year.

The longevity in their competitivenss is to be admired, but again IMO not an arguement for greatness.

It is a matter of opinion Nag and indeed you are quite entitled to your own opinion but unless you are from Milltown or indeed MR2 in disguise I would suggest that from your own perspective the team which has won the last 3 from 4 Antrim titles may not be entitled to be called 'great' they would rate well above your own unit.
Would detect a slight tinge of green.... ???

NAG1

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 23, 2018, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2018, 02:54:51 PM

It is a matter of opinion Nag and indeed you are quite entitled to your own opinion but unless you are from Milltown or indeed MR2 in disguise I would suggest that from your own perspective the team which has won the last 3 from 4 Antrim titles may not be entitled to be called 'great' they would rate well above your own unit.
Would detect a slight tinge of green.... ???

Not even a slight tinge of green and not looking to get into a major discussion over it. The point was raised that they were 'great'
IMO winning a two horse in the main would not lead me to think of greatness.

That is just my opinion and of course Cargin people will have a different one which is completely fine by me.

Christmas Lights

Have Cargin ever won a match in Ulster?