Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Mourinho has downed tools and is waiting to be sacked, unfortunately I'm not as excited as I was when Moyes & LVG were nearing the end. Woodward won't want to sack him but it might take another few weeks of bad result and a 10 point gap to top 4 for it too happen. Mourinho should have quit after deadline day but he'd get no  pay off by walking.

Zidane isn't the answer but I haven't a clue who is, the club desperately needs a director of football if we're going to keep going through managers every few years. I really worry, Woodward's business acumen is over hyped, just look at the wage bill that was announced in last weeks results; Its out of control considering where we are.

J70

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
Mourinho has downed tools and is waiting to be sacked, unfortunately I'm not as excited as I was when Moyes & LVG were nearing the end. Woodward won't want to sack him but it might take another few weeks of bad result and a 10 point gap to top 4 for it too happen. Mourinho should have quit after deadline day but he'd get no  pay off by walking.

Zidane isn't the answer but I haven't a clue who is, the club desperately needs a director of football if we're going to keep going through managers every few years. I really worry, Woodward's business acumen is over hyped, just look at the wage bill that was announced in last weeks results; Its out of control considering where we are.

Is anyone available apart from Zidane?

Its amazing how timing can work. Where would Liverpool be now had Klopp not left Dortmund and taken a break in 2015 just when it was all coming to a head for Rodgers? Would they have turned to Mourinho, who left Chelsea a few weeks after Klopp was appointed? (Probably not, as they supposedly snubbed Mourinho in favour of Rafa in 2004. But then the Bobby Charlton-led United board were also against appointing Mourinho at an earlier time, so who knows?).

trailer

Desperate. JM signed a lot of these players. He has then proceeded to suck the life out of them.

Lukaku's highlights included not being able to hit the target from 8 yards completely unmarked. Not a Utd player. An expensive Cascarino.
Rashford, constantly taking corners and consistently hitting them into their keepers hands. Shaw took one near the end and resulted in Lukaku's free header, which he missed.
Sanchez, runs... a lot. Offers nothing.
Pogba, the anti Sanchez, doesn't run. Offers nothing.
Matic, pining for the good old days at Chelsea.
Felainni seemed to be playing higher up the pitch than Sanchez? Clearly he was just running around and getting lost, leaving Valencia exposed. Tall. Offers nothing, aerially or on the ground.
Valencia, not up to this level.
Smalling, not up to this level.
Bailly, not up to this level.
Shaw, tries.
De Gea - clearly thinking he needs a new agent and to be free from this mess.

Make no mistake, money will entice a certain player. But Utd want to be enticing those players who don't necessarily take the biggest pay cheque. At this minute in time, that's a problem for Utd, because no one is joining with an expectation of winning anything.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2018, 12:42:49 PM

Its amazing how timing can work. Where would Liverpool be now had Klopp not left Dortmund and taken a break in 2015 just when it was all coming to a head for Rodgers? Would they have turned to Mourinho, who left Chelsea a few weeks after Klopp was appointed? (Probably not, as they supposedly snubbed Mourinho in favour of Rafa in 2004. But then the Bobby Charlton-led United board were also against appointing Mourinho at an earlier time, so who knows?).

Conte is available too as far as I'm aware. Timing is everything, they can give it to someone until the end of the season and take it from their.

Boycey

If and when it happens cause you never know given the cost implications how long it might be til Mourinhos gone I'd give it to Carrick and McKenna til seasons end or Nicky Butt and McKenna but neither are likely to happen.

I've said before and I'll say again sacking Mourinho ain't the silver bullet that will sort everything out. Three managers in a row have now failed theres an underlying reason why its happening if something doesn't change we'll be back here in another couple of years, rinse and repeat

J70

WHAT exactly is the ongoing issue?

To me, Mourinho's personal insecurity-caused drama aside, its the style of the football.

Moyes was clueless and in over his head, but Van Gaal and Mourinho have both cultivated extremely boring, safety-first styles of play, which compare extremely poorly to what is going on across the city (with success added) and even at Anfield, while showing little signs of building towards a title challenge.

I'm assuming that United fans would be perfectly happy to allow someone to come in and build over a few seasons IF they were showing signs of developing a team that played entertaining football?

Geoff Tipps

J70

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on October 03, 2018, 02:09:27 PM

;D

Remember when Jose accused him of implementing "19th Century football"?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2018, 01:55:57 PM

To me, Mourinho's personal insecurity-caused drama aside, its the style of the football.

Moyes was clueless and in over his head, but Van Gaal and Mourinho have both cultivated extremely boring, safety-first styles of play, which compare extremely poorly to what is going on across the city (with success added) and even at Anfield, while showing little signs of building towards a title challenge.

I'm assuming that United fans would be perfectly happy to allow someone to come in and build over a few seasons IF they were showing signs of developing a team that played entertaining football?

Boycey is correct, its not just a management issue. I was happy to see Mourinho come in, was happy enough with the progress we'd made over the last 2 seasons and thought with the signings of 3 defenders this summer we'd see better football but that didn't happen.

The next manager is going to inherit several players he doesn't want all who on huge money and many who will be difficult to shift which is identical to what happened when Mourinho took over. United needed a huge clearout the day Mourinho arrived and it never materialised. On paper thats a very talented squad in terms of midfielders and attacking players but lets see what they do under the next manager so squad wise the next manager has a lot less to do than was the case in 2016.

Woodward is well out of his depth when it comes to footballing matters and needs to employ someone capable between him and the manager, there's a reason why United have recouped very little in transfer fees since he arrived.

BennyCake

Too many mercenaries pickin up a big paycheque. Build a team from the gound up with the youth setup. This squad cost billions and clearly can't play together.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2018, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2018, 01:55:57 PM

Boycey is correct, its not just a management issue. I was happy to see Mourinho come in, was happy enough with the progress we'd made over the last 2 seasons and thought with the signings of 3 defenders this summer we'd see better football but that didn't happen.

The next manager is going to inherit several players he doesn't want all who on huge money and many who will be difficult to shift which is identical to what happened when Mourinho took over. United needed a huge clearout the day Mourinho arrived and it never materialised. On paper thats a very talented squad in terms of midfielders and attacking players but lets see what they do under the next manager so squad wise the next manager has a lot less to do than was the case in 2016.

Woodward is well out of his depth when it comes to footballing matters and needs to employ someone capable between him and the manager, there's a reason why United have recouped very little in transfer fees since he arrived.

Pretty sad to see you still defending Mourinho even though you are saying lots of contradictory stuff. It seems to me that you're saying the stuff that went wrong was Woodward's or LVG's fault. Mourinho failed as I and many others predicted and he failed in every possible way. An abject failure. It's about time you admitted this. You've already said he has downed tools (as he has done everywhere else he has been) yet it's somehow not his fault? If people cottoned on that he wasn't up to this job he'd have been gone a lot sooner.

Interesting you say Zidane is not the answer. How was Mourinho ever the answer? I'd be fairly certain Zidane has very little control over his previous clubs transfer dealings but he got on with it, coached the team to success and didn't ever embarass his club, never mind on a weekly basis.

The truth is though you'll struggle to find someone worse than Mourinho for this job.

Captain Obvious

Four games without a win against sides they should be beating by a bit to spare. Manchester United have regressed badly and will probably finish about 20 points off the total they got last season the way things are currently going. How much of that regression is down to the departure of the experience coach Rui Faria and then replaced by rookies?

GetOverTheBar

United appointing Conte would be the final death knell of 'The United Way'.

Surely a no go. Although his football wasn't as bad as stated.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 03, 2018, 04:07:15 PM

I doubt a 4th defensive manager and another sacked Chelsea manager will be appointed then again its business men not football men making the decisions and i'd wonder how many games Joel and Avram Glazer even watch United play never mind knowing the "the United way"

TabClear

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 03, 2018, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 03, 2018, 04:07:15 PM

I doubt a 4th defensive manager and another sacked Chelsea manager will be appointed then again its business men not football men making the decisions and i'd wonder how many games Joel and Avram Glazer even watch United play never mind knowing the "the United way"

What about Arsene?  ;) ;) Builds teams to play attractive football, proven PL track record. I think if he was given the type of resources Mourinho has had (£300m plus at a guess) I would bet on him putting together a decent team very quickly! As I have said before, i do not think its wholesale changes needed personnel wise, especially in the attacking positions. Better man management and a tactical overhaul could deliver better results almost immediately. Spend big on a couple of defenders and United will not be far away. Jose is a arrogant bollox however and will clearly go nowhere until he is pushed with a big payoff and then he can whinge about not being backed by the Board.  ::)

p.s Obviously I do not think Arsene will ever be an option , to me I cannot see past Zizou for the job. The fans will demand either a big name or an ex-player and I cannot see anyone in the 2nd group capable.