Catholics voting DUP

Started by longballin, June 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

where do you think the 100,000 people in NI because of abortion control comes from?

also - quite simply, while I might not be pro abortion- its not my body, and its not my choice, but everyone has a right to their choice.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Jim_Murphy_74

I think the DUP are playing a dangerous game.  You would think they want to keep tight with the Brits until Brexit is resolved at least.  They could have been more careful and way less emotive about how they are going to bat about abortion.  I would have thought a more strategic thing would be say that it's a matter for discussion by assembly, so let's redouble our efforts etc.. etc.. 

By roaring and shouting about it they are bringing more attention on the rest of their whacky shite:  (Sammy on ethnics, Peter on sending Muslims to the shops, gays repulsing Ian Óg,  Poots on creationsim).  Arlene getting involved in Scottish Orange Order march adds more fuel.

I mean WTF?  Is there no single strategist among them all? I know people caricature this crew but surely someone in the party is saying hold the horses, let's box a bit clever here and stop playing to the caricature? 

/Jim.

Rossfan

I hear An Taoiseach is to visit Orange Order HQ.
Will they be able to control their prejudices ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

DUP/SF play the "treatment table" card when things need sorting. No executive suits them both so they can't be blamed for controversial legislation being passed (DUP - SS marriage/abortion, SF - Brexit).

They both know they can do nothing about them, so rather than be blamed afterwards, they have a get out clause of "treatment table" (no executive). That's why you'll see no executive until after abortion, Brexit and gay marriage is wrapped up. So they can both blame the British government.

Then again, the British government have wiped their hands with the North too since 98 in particular, they blame parties here when it suits them.

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggysego on June 05, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
Nothing said about the DUP voters who might not agree with the party on this issue and sent a wee letter to Ian Paisley Jnr or Arlene Foster to say they are going to vote Sinn Fein or the SDLP now? It's not always one-way traffic, as I know a former Unionist voter who decided to change his views on constitutional issues and vote Sinn Fein now.

"In the BBC survey, 29% of those with a Protestant background defined themselves as Irish, but only 4% of those with a Catholic background identified as British."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44398502
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rois

Who ever thought Peter Robinson would be suggesting periodic border polls?

I don't think he'd even vote for the DUP any more. 

Applesisapples

The term Roman Catholic to northerners of my generation is seen as a derogatory one, as in "some of my best Friends are Roman Catholic." I said this to a southern friend recently and he was surprised. On abortion, you can't expect political parties to totally reflect your personal views on social and moral issues. The question you should be asking is does that policy force me to do something against my will, ie have an abortion, marry somone of your own sex etc... If not then what is the issue, other than you making a judgement which runs contrary to the teaching of Christ for compassion and forgiveness.

tiempo

Quote from: ziggysego on June 08, 2018, 09:03:25 AM
Nothing said about the DUP voters who might not agree with the party on this issue and sent a wee letter to Ian Paisley Jnr or Arlene Foster to say they are going to vote Sinn Fein or the SDLP now? It's not always one-way traffic, as I know a former Unionist voter who decided to change his views on constitutional issues and vote Sinn Fein now.

"In the BBC survey, 29% of those with a Protestant background defined themselves as Irish, but only 4% of those with a Catholic background identified as British."

Identity crisis 101 = asking someone born and brought up anywhere on the island of Ireland how British they feel. Makes about as much sense as asking the same cohort how French do they feel. Britain is the union between England Scotland and Wales, no-one born on the island of Ireland is British. Some may consider themselves UK-ish, and more power to them (metaphorically).

The fact the BBC are putting this out there... Tories chipping away at the "identity" of the statelet? Wouldn't put it past them, they have no affinity for the UK-ish aside from when it is politically pragmatic.

J70

Quote from: tiempo on June 08, 2018, 10:12:31 AM

Identity crisis 101 = asking someone born and brought up anywhere on the island of Ireland how British they feel. Makes about as much sense as asking the same cohort how French do they feel. Britain is the union between England Scotland and Wales, no-one born on the island of Ireland is British. Some may consider themselves UK-ish, and more power to them (metaphorically).

The fact the BBC are putting this out there... Tories chipping away at the "identity" of the statelet? Wouldn't put it past them, they have no affinity for the UK-ish aside from when it is politically pragmatic.

Seriously?

You're hanging your hat on an irrelevant labeling technicality? UK ethnicity, NOT British, that should grab a bit of attention and be taken seriously all right!

Ireland is part of the British Isles BTW in the sciences and geography. ;)

ziggysego

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2018, 01:45:40 PM

Seriously?

You're hanging your hat on an irrelevant labeling technicality? UK ethnicity, NOT British, that should grab a bit of attention and be taken seriously all right!

Only the British refer to it as that and Americans who know no better.
Testing Accessibility

sid waddell

Quote from: ziggysego on June 08, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

Seriously?

Really? I must have been dreaming when I heard former GAA president Sean Kelly use this very term from the podium in Semple Stadium, so.

tiempo

Seriously?

How is it irrelevant that the people obsessed with being seen as more British than the British aren't actually British. Stockholm syndrome 101. Add to that their forefathers/representatives oversaw a programme of state sponsored sectarian oppression against the native population in order to progress a land-grab/pogrom.

There's no need to hang a hat anywhere and don't be put off by technicalities, lets just agree I'm right on this, unless you can show me otherwise. Congratulations to science and geography, same group of cowboys responsible for naming the Irish Sea?

Put it like this, the British see the UK-ish as Irish and would be shot of the whole lot of them and the gerrymandered statelet in the morning if they could, the UK-ish and Irish are shit on the shoe of the British ruling class, to think otherwise is to underestimate their absolute lack of conscience. They are well on their way to dumping the UK-ish through nefarious political means.

But sure lookit, we'll co-opt them into a new state for all and get on with it.

J70

Quote from: ziggysego on June 08, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

Seriously?

Not the case. British Isles is all over the natural sciences. The islands are treated as a group in many studies and reviews. The use of the name is simple expediency in the lack of an alternative.

BennyCake

Every time I hear 'British Isles' mentioned, I correct it with 'British & Irish Isles'. It's a lazy description. Does Tory Island belong to Britain? Aran Islands? No and no. So, enough of your British Isles crap.