Laois Club SHC 2020

Started by TheGiantSquid, July 02, 2020, 08:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Both matches yesterday went to script; RE had far too much for Abbeyleix and though Ballinakill were better, I always felt Camross had the match under reasonable control.

RE vs BK has the makings of a cracking semi-final.
Mark Kavanagh would be a huge loss if his injury is as bad as feared.
I've fancied BK all year but I'm wavering. If Kavanagh is out; it evens it up but if he's fit I think RE might just edge it.  I can see myself changing my mind on this a lot over the next couple of weeks.
Whoever comes through this game will be really galvanised and should start the final as favourites for me.

I've been stung by Rosenallis twice but I reckon third time will be the charm...I think CB will win the semi-final albeit after a battle. I expect it to be close but CB are forewarned and if they have their homework done and their focus/attitude is right, I think they'll make the final. They have improved a lot since 2018 and seem to have injuries clearing up at the right time. They'll really fancy their chances now.

For the relegation match, Ballinakill will be likely favourites and they should have enough. Relegation Finals are horrible games to play in and anything can happen; I think Castletown will deliver a performance but I don't know where their scores will come from.

Keyser Söze

Any news on his injury? Seemed to be holding his forearm?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

burdizzo

Ogie

Any thoughts on the County resuming training?
Big crowd back last night for training,
I do feel it's very unfair to be trying to pull the players that are in semi finals into training before the club is complete.
& now I see Eddie getting the county final brought forward a week and on under lights ??

burdizzo

In fairness, they did lose three weekends last month, so it'd be hard to put out a competitive team if you were to wait until after the club was over when they'd only have - what? - three weeks together as a full squad? The other counties aren't going to leave off training just because we were in lockdown, are they?

Ogie

So the first night back training & next morning county final is brought forward a week and stuck under lights? ? Sounds like Eddie giving orders
There is no way the Senior Hurling County Final should be played under lights, if they want to bring it forward a week, play it on the Sunday at least.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Ogie on September 18, 2020, 08:00:33 AM
So the first night back training & next morning county final is brought forward a week and stuck under lights? ? Sounds like Eddie giving orders
There is no way the Senior Hurling County Final should be played under lights, if they want to bring it forward a week, play it on the Sunday at least.
What's wrong with playing a county final under lights. Should be a great occasion that any player would warm too.
In fairness to Brennan he's only looking for a level playing field to prepare the county hurlers. Even with that he ll be 2 weeks behind the Dubs in preparation

burdizzo

Exactly. Sure, they played all-Irelands under lights, why not county finals? Much worse is the fact the stands will be virtually empty.

Keyser Söze

I think Eddie Brennan is bang out of line here.
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/09/18/laois-hurling-boss-brennan-hits-out-at-club-fixture-schedule-as-dublin-three-weeks-ahead-of-laois/

Firstly, it's not appropriate for an IC manager to conduct his business through the media like that in criticizing his own County Board. Especially in a situation where all they seemed to be doing was being fair to the clubs involved. It's self serving.

Whatever about lights, at the very least clubs involved deserve 7 days from semi final to final.
Retrospectively the semi final pairings have turned out to be more important given the draw.

If they want to save a week, the least that should happen is moving the semi finals to Saturday & the final to Sunday. This gives an extra day, and in the case of soft tissue injuries this could be hugely important. No player deserves to miss out on starting a county final for their club due to interference like this.
Actually, given that he'll hardly have players from either club available to him on the day after a county final, perhaps it wasn't Eddie's interference that moved the game to Saturday?
It could have been the CB looking for a big night under lights promo.

I really don't agree with this.

Ogie

Was just about to come on to say exactly that, having a go on local media, unchallenged night I add, to have a go at Laois county board, & talking out of both sides of his mouth,
On off the ball & national media criticising Wexford & counties ramming in club games,
Then suggests a two week championship for us ??!!

I hope any players involved with their clubs in semi finals still are no where near county training until that's over

merman

A championship that has been played exclusively without floodlights should be concluded the same way.
I've no huge issue with bringing the final forward a week but 5pm on the Saturday or still better, the Sunday afternoon, are far better and fairer options.

I've sympathy for Eddie Brennan though I agree completely with Keyser and Ogie that he was out of order with how I expressed his frustration. Going to the media rather than directly to the County Board isn't a good look but is quite in-keeping with what we have seen from him. He has been an excellent manager for Laois but I think these are his last few weeks as the relationship with the board was poor before this; its irreparable now.
It is unfair that other counties have extra time to prepare. It is unfortunate that Laois was put into lockdown and lost those weekends. I get Eddie's disappointment and it's not his job to care about about our club championships but I fear he's trying to fight a fight he can't win.

I think a compromise should be found to allow clubs prepare properly for the semi-finals and relegation final.
Thereafter, Eddie will have 6/8 Senior and Senior A teams fully available to him. Clubs should be allowed this full weekend to prepare and if there is a desperate need to get the county panel together, maybe a light technical/tactical session on Wednesday could probably be included.
My worry is that the communication between county and club was non-existent and this will lead to frustration and resentment. I think players will walk and I can't blame them or the clubs if compromises aren't offered. Training 3 times a week before a championship semi-final devalues a championship that is very important to those involved.

I have heard that Cha will be available. Has anyone else been invited back in?

Keyser Söze

I hadn't realised there were problems between LCB & EB before this?
I disagree with Merman on the point of the club championship not being his concern. I think it should be. The reality is different in most counties I know.

As was said, he has done a really good job, but I have disagreed (from the start) with the degree to which he has maintained his media profile while in the job.

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 18, 2020, 02:02:16 PM
I hadn't realised there were problems between LCB & EB before this?
I disagree with Merman on the point of the club championship not being his concern. I think it should be. The reality is different in most counties I know.

As was said, he has done a really good job, but I have disagreed (from the start) with the degree to which he has maintained his media profile while in the job.

I completely agree with you about his media profile.

A county manager should care about our senior championship, and this year of all years.
But Eddie has been unequivocal about his focus on improving our senior county team. He has been consistent in what he's demanded from his panelists and has got rid of those he felt couldn't make the various standard he demands.
Rightly or wrongly, he cares about preparing the top 30 hurlers in Laois. He cares about playing Dublin in Croke Park and he cares about protecting his own reputation and the chance to enhance it further by trying to improve on last year.

And I actually have no issue with that.
My preference for inter-county manager is generally an internal manager supplemented with the very best coaches we can attract.
I think that guarantees you the right blend of heart, enthusiasm and professionalism.

Failing that, a young ambitious and ruthless outside manager who cares primarily for his own career is a fine alternative. I expect Eddie to step away soon (I hope I'm wrong) but he is now a contender for big jobs in Kilkenny off the back of his success last year. He'll have an eye on succeeding Cody or Shefflin.
If we go outside again, I'd be looking at someone else coming in for 2/3 years determined to take a scalp, move us slightly up the ladder and create a name for himself. Journeymen will get us nowhere because they won't challenge the players or the county board.

Anyway, apologies for going off-topic.
I hope the clubs are afforded the chance to prepare properly for the semi-finals. It's been a poor championship in all honesty and we could do with a couple of decent games to close it out.

Spiritof1915

I think it's fair to say Brennan will be gone at the end of the current campaign. He's been fighting against the CB since his tenure started.

Apparently he had a major falling out with CB last spring pre covid about getting players food after training. It's a shame for all concerned. Decorated, young ambitious managers are hard to find.

As regards the fixture scheduling I feel the fixtures could of been twigged considering the year thats in it. Having the hurling fixtures every 2nd week especially after local lockdown is unfair for any county manager with a October finish. Surely the group stages could of been ran off sooner leaving more time for the semis and final.
Personal opinion is the best answer all round would of been to have no IC championship this year. Let every county board take their time and run their club championships without time constraints. I think Brennan has been quoted saying something similar.

thegreeenandgold

Eddie loves Eddie,  doubt he will get Kilkenny job after the U21's.  They don't rate the Joe McDonagh down there.   LCB were upfront in the way they planned the club calendar,  Eddie started dictating through the press, I'd say Ned Quinn In Kilkenny "would love that" !