The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 10, 2017, 12:19:47 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2017, 12:03:32 AM
Not much better than the TV3 deal.
At least, that was my understanding at the time.
We already have GAAGo for those watching overseas, why do we need SKY?

Where TV3 prepared to pay €55m over 5 years? (I don't know, it's an genuine question but I'd be surprised if they were in a position to afford that.)

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/fans-set-for-five-more-years-of-sky-with-gaa-on-the-brink-of-55m-rights-deal-35162069.html

Just on this, that's €55m between RTE and Sky, the vast majority from RTE since they get more games, and the best of them. I too was told that what the GAA get from Sky is broadly in line with what they got from TV3.

On the general topic, and leaving aside the obvious conflict of interest inherent in the "Former player who gets paid large sums to analyse games on RTE believes that more games should be on RTE" aspect, I wish someone would address this question.

Why is it such a travesty that Waterford vs Kilkenny was not available on terrestrial TV, but Cavan vs Tipperary in football (which was also a great game, I was there) is perfectly fine to leave uncovered? It was on at 2pm, opposite nothing at all other than some dreary old golf coverage. Put it out there, if you believe that people missing games is such a terrible thing?

The logical extension of the argument that no games should be on Sky because ould lads that live on mountaintops should be able to see them, is that all games should be available free to air. Now of course you can't broadcast all the games at the one time, and if there are five or six games on a Saturday evening or a Sunday afternoon, you can't show them all - but you could show more. Where do all these people believe that the line should be drawn?

Moreover, how about the quaint old notion that there shouldn't always be a game on TV, and maybe someone should go out and support their clubs? I don't know what's on TV next Saturday evening, but I do know that there's two games in the Offaly SHC, including what looks like an excellent local derby between Kinnitty and Kilcormac-Killoughey. Maybe one or two people around home should go out and see that, instead of staying in, stuck to the couch? Maybe the GAA should factor that in?

Captain Scarlet

I see on Twitter a lad timed that the Carlow highlights were a grand total of 62 seconds. Their game with the Dubs was on Sky (a game which RTE prob would not have shown anyway). Duignan's thing went on for around 40 seconds...
Now what about the lad in his 80s from Carlow who gets that shite if he can't make the game...

Where do we stop if it all MUST to be free to air as then everyone from every county should get some proper coverage and not be left to make do if they can't get to a game.
The real issue here is that it was a good HURLING game that was missed and that is sacrilege. No one gives a f**k about Carlow footballers still or any aul lads who can't make that game to witness a rare win.

I have an issue with the right to see games. A lot of these elder folk who get mentioned in this debate saw F all games for years as they simply were not on TV anyway. There are more games than ever.
I am using GAAGo and I pay for that. I am behind a pay wall and I don't see Duignan saying how much of a disgrace it is that not even the Sunday Game highlights show is free to air for the hundreds of thousands of Irish abroad via the international player.
On one hand loads here give out about Sky but then want to bring the armchair fan more into the GAA, something that Sky Sports practically invented.

The Sky issue is done and dusted so maybe get their own house in order and show more action from qualifiers. I used Carlow as an example but many counties feel aggrieved by lack of coverage by RTE who have the pick of the majority of games.
But of course no fuss is ever made of that because truth be told most of us neutrals can't be arsed watching either.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

manfromdelmonte

sky want people to get the package and have to install the dish and box
the next step then is keeping it going
that's the hook

thewobbler

So in summary, what we want is EPL style blanket coverage of every championship game in two sports.

And we also want it on free to air TV, with the cheque being covered from our licence fee.

And it's vitally important that those who play in the Christy Ring, that their game gets a camera at it too, because you know, it's effectively a zero cost to film, plus it'll make a real difference to the players to get home that evening and revisit that not even their closest friends or family members would cross the street to watch them play in that competition.

And if you go back anything beyond 2 pages on this thread, what we also really want is high quality commentators and analysts who are passionate and knowledgable about our games, and never make mistakes.

I'd sincerely hope we are never put in charge of a company. It'd be bankrupt by this afternoon.

Esmarelda

Lone Shark and Captain Scarlet, that's the point I've been banging on about for two years.

The ould lads from Carlow NEVER got to see their team play on TV until Sky showed them this year.

There are ould lads the length and breadth of the country who never get to see their team. But the hurling on Saturday was a great game that Duignan's ould lad wanted to see so it's a different matter.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2017, 06:53:49 AM
So in summary, what we want is EPL style blanket coverage of every championship game in two sports.

And we also want it on free to air TV, with the cheque being covered from our licence fee.

And it's vitally important that those who play in the Christy Ring, that their game gets a camera at it too, because you know, it's effectively a zero cost to film, plus it'll make a real difference to the players to get home that evening and revisit that not even their closest friends or family members would cross the street to watch them play in that competition.

And if you go back anything beyond 2 pages on this thread, what we also really want is high quality commentators and analysts who are passionate and knowledgable about our games, and never make mistakes.

I'd sincerely hope we are never put in charge of a company. It'd be bankrupt by this afternoon.

Good man wobbler, a solitary voice of sanity amidst the dross of the mob.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2017, 06:53:49 AM

Don't forget the camogie.

They went to the trouble of bringing Ann Marie Hayes on to talk about one camogie game that nobody bothered to show live.

There are 83 year old women the up and down the country who....................... ;D

Tyrdub

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on July 10, 2017, 12:03:44 AM
duignams rant about the sky sports live gaa games was sentimentalist playing to the gallery.

about 15 years ago there were no more than 16 fulltime gaa workers on the payroll....about 10 in Croke Park, and leinster council(Michael Delaney) and Munster Council (Donie Nealon) and full time secretaries in Dublin and Cork(dearest Frank).

Now virtually every individual county has at least on administrator on the payroll, some up to 3, all on 50k plus packages when you include pension, and then add in all the full time coaches in each county, and the full time pay roll in Croke Park is near the 50 mark.

If you increase from 16 to 200 or more full time staff, the culminate wage bill rockets and every avenue of revenue must be milked.
That is why the GAA does need the funds from Sky and the concerts etc.........and given that most if not all of these salaried officials make up a large percentage of those attending congress, there is not a chance in hell of them biting the hands that feed them.

I do have sympathy for the older folk who don't have subscription tv, however an overload of live matches simply breed armchair "fans", when the truth is that nothing beats being present at a game in person.  Lots of sports in the country are starting to suffer because despite the fact that sports have many followers, the followers are of the armchair variety as distinct from gate paying variety.

Duignam might be better off having a cut at RTE for their laughable 90 second package coverage each weekend of the non live shoulder games.

these administrators were in place long before any Sky deal, dont need the money, Duignam was right

Gaffer

Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 12:05:28 AM
How about Michael Duignan and all the other cheap skates fork out a few pound to cover the cost of Sky sports for 3 months to let their auld fellas watch these games over the summer.

Or an Android box ............
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Tyrdub

Another thing they brought up on SG was Brian Cody manhandling the 4th official on Saturday night. I watched this on TV and straight away i said to her highness that they would bring it up and compare it to Diarmuid Connolly, any views on this?

criostlinn

Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
Thought Tomas Quinn was excellent tonight.

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

Tubberman

Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 09:54:39 AM

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

I completely forgot he was in that role. That HAS to be a pander to Dublin GAA to try to smooth relations. Could you imagine if they invited on the Mayo PRO as an analyst ffs!
You're spot on about the Cillian O'Connor incident - even zoomed in, there is nothing to see, yet they choose to highlight that over the many ACTUAL red card incidents that occurred in games over the weekend.
Dublin and Kerry men trying to sew the seed in referees minds for further down the line - their media machines are working very nicely. Des Cahill is either complicit in it or doesn't even see what's going on around him   ::)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

dublin7

Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2017, 10:53:54 AM

I completely forgot he was in that role. That HAS to be a pander to Dublin GAA to try to smooth relations. Could you imagine if they invited on the Mayo PRO as an analyst ffs!
You're spot on about the Cillian O'Connor incident - even zoomed in, there is nothing to see, yet they choose to highlight that over the many ACTUAL red card incidents that occurred in games over the weekend.
Dublin and Kerry men trying to sew the seed in referees minds for further down the line - their media machines are working very nicely. Des Cahill is either complicit in it or doesn't even see what's going on around him   ::)
Darn it, Dublin's master plan has been unveiled. It's only a matter of time until they find the hypnotist who tricked Harrison into going UFC on the Clare player on Saturday ::)

rosnarun

the whole thing has the fell of two bladmen fighting over a comb.
what people now expect is to be able to see all games and I know the old man on the hill argument but GAA should demand that the  brodcasters make the games available on line at least for a few weeks afterwards or ideally forever . that way we would not have to put up with having hurling spoiling a summers afternoon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: dublin7 on July 10, 2017, 11:08:31 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2017, 10:53:54 AM

Darn it, Dublin's master plan has been unveiled. It's only a matter of time until they find the hypnotist who tricked Harrison into going UFC on the Clare player on Saturday ::)

I didn't suggest that the Harrison incident shouldn't have been highlighted - I referred to the O'Connor incident which you've conveniently ignored. And it's not like Dublin are above wheeling out their media figures to try to influence officials is it?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."