Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on March 14, 2018, 09:16:55 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2018, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
Liverpool fans. I've asked a question on the United page, and I wonder what the reaction here is. Given Mourinho's dour approach, paranoid personality and general negative attitude, counter balanced with his record in big games, and his ability to win trophies. Would you swap our swashbuckling, all out entertainment but frustratingly naive defensively manager, who may win some trophies but probably not as many as Mourinho, for the United manager?

No.

I do not cast envious glances in the direction of United at all.
+1

I don't watch much of them to be honest and only turned on last night's game after me Dad texted me to say they were losing. The couple of times I have watched them though they have bored me to tears.
De Gea is the only player they have that I think would improve Liverpool if they had him. Other than him I can't think of a player they have that I'd like to see at Liverpool. Maybe Mata as I always liked him but not really anyone else

Bailly?

TabClear

Quote from: GJL on March 14, 2018, 09:32:58 AM
Liverpool fans. I've asked a question on the United page, and I wonder what the reaction here is. Given Mourinho's dour approach, paranoid personality and general negative attitude, counter balanced with his record in big games, and his ability to win trophies. Would you swap our swashbuckling, all out entertainment but frustratingly naive defensively manager, who may win some trophies but probably not as many as Mourinho, for the United manager?

No.

+1

I don't watch much of them to be honest and only turned on last night's game after me Dad texted me to say they were losing. The couple of times I have watched them though they have bored me to tears.
De Gea is the only player they have that I think would improve Liverpool if they had him. Other than him I can't think of a player they have that I'd like to see at Liverpool. Maybe Mata as I always liked him but not really anyone else

Bailly?

De Gea obviously, Bailly, Rashford, Matic would be definites for me. Not sure who else would really improve the starting team. A few borderline calls like at right back and the likes of Lukaku would help if Klopp decides to use Mourinho's Wimbledon c.1989 tactics.

J70

No.

+1

Well yes, if we are talking players, obviously almost every team would love to have DeGea. Simply outstanding player. Sanchez, playing well, would fit well in Klopp's system, although would he do as well through the centre as Firmino? Bailly for Lovren perhaps. But that's about it in terms of obvious improvements.

But, the question was about Mourinho and Klopp, to which the answer is "hell no!". Liverpool play wonderful football and the club looks like it is going places. They may never be able to compete with City and United in terms of spending and salary power and the titles will ultimately reflect that, but that's ok. As a Donegal man, I know we will only win an All Ireland every generation or so, but that doesn't make me envious or resentful of Dublin or Kerry.

AZOffaly

I'm in agreement with that. And if, let's say, the next Billionaire comes in and buys Liverpool from FSG, would you prefer Klopp or Mourinho setting the direction of the club? I know I'd prefer the former.

Milltown Row2

Its a fine line, entertaining football with no end product (silverware) or unexciting football with (better GD  ;) ) silverware at the end of it?

How many more seasons will it take for Liverpool to go on with playing well and no return?

I'd love Klopp at Utd
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Leonardo

Liverpool under Houllier & Rafa were hard to watch. Football was very boring. In fairness to Brendan, he brought back good football and Klopp has picked up where he left off.
I used to go to games regularly but got fed up with the dull approach until Rodgers changed the style. The year we finished 2nd produced some outstanding football - I probably went to 6 games that season
Good football over trophies for me - though something to celebrate would be the icing on cake

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 10:48:19 AM
Its a fine line, entertaining football with no end product (silverware) or unexciting football with (better GD  ;) ) silverware at the end of it?

How many more seasons will it take for Liverpool to go on with playing well and no return?

I'd love Klopp at Utd

That's the flip side of the question. The utopia is Exciting Football with Trophies. Basically Man City at the moment. But we all know how they got to that juncture. A) A coach who believes in that sort of play, and B) owners who are willing to pay over the odds to get great players to play there.

Liverpool have a, but not b.
Man Utd have b, but not a.

Liverpool are more entertaining, but Klopp has to win something in the next year or so, or entertainment becomes less and less important.
Man Utd are less entertaining, so Mourinho has to either win EVERYTHING or else the entertainment will become more and more important.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

I'd love Klopp at Utd

Depends what you mean by silverware though.

What matters is the league and the champions league. For Liverpool right now, given what they're coming back from, top 4 and a champions league quarter final or, hopefully, semi-final, would be a very good season. Obviously the hope would be that over the next season or two that will progress into title challenges and consistent appearances in the latter stages of the champions league. Eventually, you'd hope to win one or both of those, but that will not be easy given the competition.

The league cup and FA are consolation prizes. Fine in and of themselves, IF you've also got the league and champions league side of things going well. On their own though, in the absence of progress on the latter two fronts, they're just hollow, isolated wins which might add to the historical trophy total but which will be forgotten about in a few days otherwise.

Will any Arsenal fans look back fondly on their recent FA Cup wins given the greater context of the club's slipping down the hierarchy at the top of the English game? Similarly, I don't recall thinking that the league cup win in 2012 was the start of any new era for Liverpool given the shite state of the time that year in the league (not helped by the club's awful handling of the Suarez-Evra incident).

AZOffaly

I'd love Liverpool to win the FA Cup again. the League and CL is obviously the pinnacle, but surely fans want to win stuff. Only two teams (or maybe 1!) can win those trophies, so winning the FA Cup, the League Cup or the Europa League if you are in it are important to me.

Milltown Row2

Well Arsenal (untill recently) had been doing exactly what J70 was talking about, constant top for the odd FA cup win, appearance in a CL final, competitive in the league and exciting to watch, had a blip lost form and generaly at the end of the season cme good to claim a top four or better spot... No Spurs have taken over that position great to watch, top for most years and pushing for honours on the league front...

Liverpool would not want to fall into that trap of keeping the fans happy with just a top four finish every year, like Arsenal it will disappear and so will Klopp, new man comes in and then its all about rebuilding, different style new players and so it begins all over again, and the promised land seems further away than ever..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 11:14:47 AM
Well Arsenal (untill recently) had been doing exactly what J70 was talking about, constant top for the odd FA cup win, appearance in a CL final, competitive in the league and exciting to watch, had a blip lost form and generaly at the end of the season cme good to claim a top four or better spot... No Spurs have taken over that position great to watch, top for most years and pushing for honours on the league front...

Liverpool would not want to fall into that trap of keeping the fans happy with just a top four finish every year, like Arsenal it will disappear and so will Klopp, new man comes in and then its all about rebuilding, different style new players and so it begins all over again, and the promised land seems further away than ever..

Of course, but I also said I would hope title challenges and champions league challenges would follow within a couple of seasons.

Progress is the key, and the league is the primary measure of that, followed by the champions league. The rest is window dressing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 14, 2018, 09:00:58 AM

Not a mission. The thing is you don't have to such a **** to be a winner. I think Klopp is organically building his team that has the core of a winning mentality. Still 2-3 main players away from it but a good summer could make a huge difference. New keeer, new defensive MF, another forward and Keita coming in. We are not winning the CL this year but a good draw and result in the quarter final and another top 4 finish and we have made huge progress.
The problem is if there is no silverware over a period of time the good players start to look away and you are always remain 2-3 players away from greatness. We've been talking about shoring up the defence since Brendan and Suarez.

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2018, 12:01:12 PM

Not a mission. The thing is you don't have to such a **** to be a winner. I think Klopp is organically building his team that has the core of a winning mentality. Still 2-3 main players away from it but a good summer could make a huge difference. New keeer, new defensive MF, another forward and Keita coming in. We are not winning the CL this year but a good draw and result in the quarter final and another top 4 finish and we have made huge progress.
The problem is if there is no silverware over a period of time the good players start to look away and you are always remain 2-3 players away from greatness. We've been talking about shoring up the defence since Brendan and Suarez.

Is an FA Cup or a League Cup really going to sway the caliber of player Liverpool are hoping to attract?

Champions League participation and realistic prospects of title challenges are what matter.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2018, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2018, 12:01:12 PM

Is an FA Cup or a League Cup really going to sway the caliber of player Liverpool are hoping to attract?

Champions League participation and realistic prospects of title challenges are what matter.

That's the key.. any team in the top four, would they be realistic title challengers in the coming years, if Pep stays? (a big if, as i feel he'll move on)