Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the hop

So the rumors are true, Benny Carroll gone from the panel as he is traveling to the states for the summer

les Antiques

He' hasn't been training with the county since the league finished I believe .

Don Draper

Fair play Benny, no one could blame you. Enjoy.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Blow for Laois footballers as forward departs panel ahead of Leinster championship
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/05/15/blow-for-laois-footballers-as-forward-departs-panel-ahead-of-leinster-championship/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

Disappointing but I can't blame him. I'm actually surprised more don't go. Playing for your county is an honour, but playing for nothing in every sense of the word is a waste of time.

There is no solution out there, not tiered championships, tin pot second and third rate cups, none of it can save what is a dying concept. Inter county, at its core, is boring and inequitable. I love Laois. I hope we beat Westmeath etc etc. But no harm done in the overall scheme of things if we don't.

oliverkelly

Roscommon beat Laois by 6 or 7 in challenge last night. Both teams started strong and made a lot of changes at half time

Zooming around

Quote from: High Fielder on May 16, 2019, 09:35:49 AM
Disappointing but I can't blame him. I'm actually surprised more don't go. Playing for your county is an honour, but playing for nothing in every sense of the word is a waste of time.

There is no solution out there, not tiered championships, tin pot second and third rate cups, none of it can save what is a dying concept. Inter county, at its core, is boring and inequitable. I love Laois. I hope we beat Westmeath etc etc. But no harm done in the overall scheme of things if we don't.

I have no idea why a lad would train all winter, play the league and the leave the panel just before the championship. When was the gear handed out as a matter of interest?

Don Draper

Quote from: Zooming around on May 18, 2019, 09:26:41 AM

I have no idea why a lad would train all winter, play the league and the leave the panel just before the championship. When was the gear handed out as a matter of interest?
f**k off

Tony

For once I'm with Don on this one. "Zooming around" - do you honestly think someone would do hard winter training and league training, giving up 15 - 20 hours of their week, every week, for a bit of kit? Cop yourself on lad, you're a holy show  ;D

Zooming around

Quote from: Tony on May 18, 2019, 03:57:02 PM
For once I'm with Don on this one. "Zooming around" - do you honestly think someone would do hard winter training and league training, giving up 15 - 20 hours of their week, every week, for a bit of kit? Cop yourself on lad, you're a holy show  ;D

Fair enough the comment on the gear might be OTT but you've kind of made my point for me when you say "do you honestly think someone would do hard winter training and league training, giving up 15 - 20 hours of their week, every week" . Why would a lad do all that and then leave a matter of days before the reason he has done all that arrives. It's baffling. You must also remember that he has taken up a place on the panel that could have been allocated to a player who is committed to the championship. All the game time he got in the League could have been given to someone else to see if they could stake a claim for a place in the championship.

BallyroanAbu

Is there not a rule if you play championship you can't play in America that year ?  I have no idea is this the issue for Benny but seems likely. 

High Fielder

Quote from: Zooming around on May 20, 2019, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: Tony on May 18, 2019, 03:57:02 PM

Fair enough the comment on the gear might be OTT but you've kind of made my point for me when you say "do you honestly think someone would do hard winter training and league training, giving up 15 - 20 hours of their week, every week" . Why would a lad do all that and then leave a matter of days before the reason he has done all that arrives. It's baffling. You must also remember that he has taken up a place on the panel that could have been allocated to a player who is committed to the championship. All the game time he got in the League could have been given to someone else to see if they could stake a claim for a place in the championship.

The point you make about taking someone else's place is reasonable. But I doubt he committed to the panel knowing all along that he was going to America. It was probably a snap decision, and Laois or similar counties have no enticement beyond a tracksuit to keep him here. They give their time freely and in all honesty I'm amazed that more don't go to America for the summer. This is the GAA's long term problem in a nutshell. They love this romantic notion of the amateur player (a crock of shite in some counties) but for lads like Benny or in fact any lad in Laois, this strikes me as a golden opportunity. I don't begrudge him one bit. I wish he was playing Sunday, because in my opinion he's our best half forward by a mile, and only getting better. But such is life. 3 months in America or facing the Qualifiers at some stage? No brainer

The PRO

::) New level of stupid. Train your arse off for 4 or 5 months for a few bits of O'Neills...

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on May 20, 2019, 11:11:15 AM

::) New level of stupid. Train your arse off for 4 or 5 months for a few bits of O'Neills...
Those half zips and gilets are delish man.

Zooming around

Quote from: The PRO on May 20, 2019, 11:11:15 AM

I've seen it before