All Ireland Club Championships - Final Stages

Started by drici, January 10, 2010, 10:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

is that the first time a team from antrim has won an all ireland? 

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2010, 08:02:48 PM
is that the first tiime a team from antrim has won an all ireland?

In football yes.  Loughgiel won the hurling in '82??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Canalman

Way wrong in my predictions. Well done to St Galls......3d year in a row for a city team to win it.

Antrim join Cork, Galway,Limerick (maybe) as winners in both codes. Comhgáirdeas.

orangeman

I thought the Galls full back line were very impressive today especially Andy Mc Lean who didn't his man an inch.

Mourne Rover

Today was Antrim's first football All Ireland at club level.  The county won the AI u21 in 1969, but the team was broken up through the troubles. Tom Humphries wrote a chapter about it in his book Green Fields.

Radioulster

well done to St Galls won at their leisure. Just a word on the referee my understanding was that the handpass rule is only for county football? he blew for handpasses a number of times, I could be wrong on this

Canalman

Delete Limerick from my previous post. Antrim now one of 3 dual winners.

Cde

well done St Galls   

great to see another All Ireland title coming to Ulster

southsidejohnny

Well done St Galls, thoroughly deserved and a mighty breakthrough for Antrim football. Take a leaf from Crossmaglen and Armagh, intertwined. Long  overdue. Enjoy it .

Bogball XV

Quote from: Radioulster on March 17, 2010, 08:22:15 PM
well done to St Galls won at their leisure. Just a word on the referee my understanding was that the handpass rule is only for county football? he blew for handpasses a number of times, I could be wrong on this
noticed that too - the portlaoise manager had the same complaint after their semi-final defeat, you'd really think ref's would get something like that right.

RedandGreenSniper

Gall's just far too good. I predicted that they could beat them by 15 points and was lambasted for it. Well they should have won by 15. Kilmurry were delighted to be in the final, Gall's actually wanted to win it. They're the best club team I've seen and have the ability to win one or two more All-Irelands if they have the drive.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

phpearse

Quotenoticed that too - the portlaoise manager had the same complaint after their semi-final defeat, you'd really think ref's would get something like that right.

The current rule states that there must be a clear striking motion with the fist or open palm. On far to many occassions yesterday the ball was transfered with both hands moving together in the same direction of the pass without a definite strikig action. The ref was correct to blow for a free but could have done so in the majority of other occassions as well. The experimental rule is that the pass must be made with the closed fist and there still must be a definite strikig action.

I noticed yesterday that the ref blew on a few occassion a lad that would fake a hand pass, people call it showing the ball. Where was the free there?

T Fearon

Good win for St Galls and a pleasure to be in Croker yesterday to witness this. Amazingly Antrim, along with Cork and Galway (I don't think there are any more) are now the only counties to have produced dual club champions in both Football and Hurling. Still and with all due respect, that St Gall's team wouldn't have beaten the Cross team of the late 90s/ early noughties, in my opinion.

However no credit to the soccer element in the Galls support who continually booed and sounded horns everytime Kilmurry took a free. I love soccer as much as the next man, but that was out of order.

Any one else agree with Tom Humphries excellent article in the match programme yesterday when he opined that City Clubs like Vincents, Kilmacud and Galls need All Ireland club titles more than parishes like Crossmaglen, Kilmurry etc?

As for individual performances yesterday no one on the football final came close to matching the wizardry of Canning and Shefflin in the Hurling. It was a pity that the Portuma keeper let that awful goal in as a pulsatng finale was in prospect.

Great to see the new Club Wall yesterday at the Museum entrance and in particular my own club's (Portadown Tir Na Nog) crest.

Hoof Hearted

unlike the hurling, which has 2 clubs winning the last 5 titles, this was the 10th club in 10 years to win the football.

2000-01 Crossmolina (Mayo)
2001-02 Ballinderry (Derry)
2002-03 Nemo Rangers (Cork)
2003-04 Caltra (Galway)
2004-05 Ballina Stephenites (Mayo)
2005-06 Salthill-Knocknacarra (Galway)
2006-07 Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh)
2007-08 St Vincents (Dublin)
2008-09 Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin)
2009-10 St. Gall's (Antrim)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 09:36:59 AM
Good win for St Galls and a pleasure to be in Croker yesterday to witness this. Amazingly Antrim, along with Cork and Galway (I don't think there are any more) are now the only counties to have produced dual club champions in both Football and Hurling. Still and with all due respect, that St Gall's team wouldn't have beaten the Cross team of the late 90s/ early noughties, in my opinion.

However no credit to the soccer element in the Galls support who continually booed and sounded horns everytime Kilmurry took a free. I love soccer as much as the next man, but that was out of order.

Any one else agree with Tom Humphries excellent article in the match programme yesterday when he opined that City Clubs like Vincents, Kilmacud and Galls need All Ireland club titles more than parishes like Crossmaglen, Kilmurry etc?

As for individual performances yesterday no one on the football final came close to matching the wizardry of Canning and Shefflin in the Hurling. It was a pity that the Portuma keeper let that awful goal in as a pulsatng finale was in prospect.

Great to see the new Club Wall yesterday at the Museum entrance and in particular my own club's (Portadown Tir Na Nog) crest.

Agree to a certain extent.  However he may (or may not) be a bin lid but Kevin McGourty is some footballer
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties