Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I heard a rumour before the start of the season that rico Kelly was looking a transfer away from cross. It obviously never happened but I thought it strange at the time

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: pearseog on June 19, 2010, 06:21:27 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 19, 2010, 04:57:54 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 19, 2010, 02:27:05 PM
Quote from: crossfire on June 19, 2010, 11:37:35 AM
Division 4

Cross drew with Killeen.

Big surprise. What happened there? Cross missing players?

I see Rico Kelly was playing.  Is he not with the first team anymore?

whats the craic there anyway? do they name seperate squads or is it along the same lines as the B's?

You have to name different squads though I think you can apply for a transfer between the division so long as it is ratified by the County Board. Junior championship team can include anybody who didn't play Senior championship in 2009 or 2010.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

illdecide

Quote from: charlie stubbs on June 19, 2010, 01:47:46 PM
heard stefan campbell and x2 others called up to panel?has anyone heard anything?

Yes i heard but am not saying. There are three well know footballers now involved with the county from North Armagh...Correct
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gold

What a tr**p. He was only on a few mins --had he any interest in playin football at all? If not WTF is he doing lining out for a football club.

A few years back i got a similar dig from behind but luckily all i got was a black eye i couldn't see out of for a week. Was ragin about it and still am though never got chance to get revenge on the tr**p.

The problem is though if a back is holding his man he is liable to get an elbow back in his ribs/jaw (although obviously there was no suggestion of this in the incident we're talking about where a tr**p struck a young fella from behind).

But what is a forward meant to do --he's trained his balls off to make the team--the first 3 balls are played in his man is digging/nipping at him and holding him, pullin him back so he's out in front--do you try and play clean and just try to skip out round him to get the ball? Or do you dig him in the ribs to break free before making the run? Do you elbow him in the ribs? Do you elbow back accross his face? Or do you play clean and get called ashore before half time?

It's a issue that needs looked at as BC1 said --i've often been dug at and dug back in ribs etc--but never with any real malice like i want to hospitalise someone--it's often like an unwritten agreement that "we'll dig each other hard here but not our hardest, it's what has always been done and it's what we'll do".

The difficulty is when a back is standing behind a forward, he's nipping at him etc ,a forward digs him/elbows him back to show he's not gonna take it but then the forward is watching the game in front of him--if you get the wrong, mentally unhinged, kn**ker marking you, you may then get a full, knock-out blow to the head from behind that could badly injure you or potentially kill you.

Obviously in this case it was a back who was horrifically assaulted but you know what i mean.

You go out to play a game of football, its ruined by some bollix hangin off you, it's a league game with no neutral umpires, the ref is never gonna see the boy pullin at you (will only ever see your retaliation), you have to use a bit of violence to break free or you'll be whipped off, but where does the level of violence become unacceptable/dangerous/potentially fatal?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bennydorano

Ballyhegan 0-7 Harps 3.9.  Our best performance of the year by a long way, still  6 or 7 boys missing as well.

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 4: St Patrick's II 1-16 Phelim Brady's 1-5

The Division 4 side were hoping to build on last week's encouraging away victory as they hosted Phelim Brady's in perfect conditions on Sunday afternoon. As has invariably been the case this season, Cullyhanna were forced into a number of personnel and positional changes but these did not seem to negatively affect the side who produced a very creditable performance to run out easy victors. The opening exchanges were even enough with the sides exchanging two points a piece early on. James Thompson opened the scoring for Cullyhanna and his kick was followed by a great passage of football beginning with a great pass from goalkeeper Tony Durnin to Brendan Nugent whose forceful run resulted in an excellent Sean Nugent score. The Cullyhanna men began to seize control of affairs in the second quarter as points from Anthony Quinn, Miceal Connolly and Shane O'Neill powered them into the lead. Phelim Brady's responded with two scores but St Pat's finished the stronger of the sides as Brendan Murray kicked a free and a superb point from play to send Cullyhanna in at the break with a deserved lead of 0-8 to 0-4.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first with a James Thompson point. Second half substitute Cathal O'Neill wasted no time in making an impact on his first appearance for the side as he waltzed through the Darkley defence for a point to extend his side's advantage to 6. The result was put completely beyond doubt after 7 minutes of the second half when Anthony Quinn was dragged to the ground and Cathal O'Neill made no mistake in finding the net from the resultant penalty. By this stage the Cullyhanna men were in total control and added points through Kevin Toner, Cathal O'Neill and a long range Shane O'Neill score. To their credit, Phelim Brady's fought back and managed to force a goal but Cathal McGlade replied for Cullyhanna with a good point. Brady's labour was rewarded with a further point however Cullyhanna finished the stronger as points from Brendan Murray and Shane O'Neill meant that they ran out comfortable winners.

This was a decent performance against a side who had posed Cullyhanna problems on the opening evening of the season. With the Junior championship looming, it was encouraging to see a free-scoring performance which will hopefully be repeated in the weeks to come.

Starting XV: T Durnin; D Quinn, T Toner, C Durnin; J Quinn, F Nugent, S Nugent (0-1); M McConville, K Toner (0-1); B Murray (0-3), M Connolly (0-2), B Nugent, J Thompson (0-2), S O'Neill (0-3), A Quinn (0-1). Subs Used C O'Neill (1-2), C McGlade (0-1)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

Clans beat Cruppen by 8 points  ;) sweet
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

IVEDECIDED

Cruppen 1.10 Clans 1.18 - great performance, makes up for the debacle last week. Well done lads.

fitzroyalty

Sarsfield's beat Pearse Og 2-11 0-14 i think.

wats that 4 ref

maghery 3-11 killeavy 2-5 good enough performance from maghery could be better, killeavy poor got their goals injury time half time and full time

torres

granemore leading 5 - 1 at half time and opening up a 6 pt lead in the 2 nd half somehow lost this home game to c eireann 0-8 - 0-10 and even saw a last minute penalty come of the crossbar . the match was poorly referred by a ballymacnab offical  ??? . not mr beds , how on earth was a man from your own parish and from your biggest rivals allowed to referre this match ? when surely it should have been a south armagh ref .

JUst retired

Exactly correct,imagine giving you a penalty in the last minute, and then making you miss it!!!! ;D

Onion Bag

Quote from: JUst retired on June 21, 2010, 06:56:41 AM
Exactly correct,imagine giving you a penalty in the last minute, and then making you miss it!!!! ;D

:D :D :D
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

davo

ogs v sarsfields game was entertaining enough. referee was 45 mins late, sarsfields were 3 nil up after 10 minutes then ogs went up a gear and went in at half time 8 3 up. sarsfields rallied and there was a scramble in ogs defence. sarsfield umpire said the ball crossed the line and ref gave a goal. even the sarsfields players acknowledged that it didnt cross the line. that left the sides level. ogs went up the pitch and notched up another 2 scores and then sarsfields scored another scrappy goal which looked to be a square ball. one umpire said it was the other said it wasnt. goal was given. ogs were missing a lot of players but should have won the game.