Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 26, 2009, 10:51:56 AM
no corn i never said it was one game it has been several over the course of ten years. Oh and that is my opinion on it corn not an authority but a mere opinion. The years we played against Dromintee in the championship in particular we were able to score freely at times( we never won the game) but as you say the team mainly consists of three areas and perhaps our own defence wasn't up to scratch. We would never have got scoring against cross so easliy you saw that in the 06 final were we found it very difficult to penetrate them (as so many have before) and again this year when the demolished us at Cruppen. The defence Cross have could easily do a job at county level in the national league for example. I wouldn't share the same optimism for Dromintees defence or any other team in Armagh.

The last times you played us in the Championship you hit 0-11 - hardly prolific.

Fair enough of it is an opinion, but you said for anyone that has doubts - which seems like you are giving more than an opinion.

Also want to state again that I have never said Dromintee have a better defence, but I honestly believe there is minimal difference.

corn02

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on January 26, 2009, 11:14:00 AM

In which championship game did clans "score freely" against dromintee?

Only cross have scored "heavily" against dromintee in the championship - relatively speaking - and i think the most they've scored is about 1-10?. not many other teams would have scored into double figures against dromintee in the last 5 years

2-10 2002. Interestingly, they have only scored one goal since then aginst us.

billy the kid

How many Dromintee Defenders are likely to be on the Armagh county Panel? and how many would you say have a (real) chance of starting in a championship match?

How many Cross Defenders are likely to be on the Armagh county panel? How many would you say have a (real) chance of starting in a championship match?
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Aghdavoyle

O'Rourke, Shannon and Martin will probably be on the panel. only O'Rourke will start.

Bellew, kernan, kernan and McKeown will probably be on the panel, ak will start (not necessarily in defence) and one of the other 3 could start in the full back line i'd say. thats not really a true reflection for a few reasons...

defences are units and county representation isn't necessarily a straight guide.

Donaldson and skinny McKeown are as good a club defenders as you'll find.

Benny McArdle currently starts corner back for louth, eddie martin is a top drawer club full back and kevin dyas has been an integral part of dromintee's defence

corn02

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on January 26, 2009, 12:18:37 PM

O'Rourke, Shannon and Martin will probably be on the panel. only O'Rourke will start.

Bellew, kernan, kernan and McKeown will probably be on the panel, ak will start (not necessarily in defence) and one of the other 3 could start in the full back line i'd say. thats not really a true reflection for a few reasons...

defences are units and county representation isn't necessarily a straight guide.

Donaldson and skinny McKeown are as good a club defenders as you'll find.

Benny McArdle currently starts corner back for louth, eddie martin is a top drawer club full back and kevin dyas has been an integral part of dromintee's defence

Agreed.

I'd say it will end up Aaron and Aidan starting in defence, although I would like to see McKewon start as well.

bennydorano

Is Vincey Martin originally from Silverbridge?  How did he end up with the 'Tee?  I always just assumed he was Eddie's bro.

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 26, 2009, 12:30:49 PM
Is Vincey Martin originally from Silverbridge?  How did he end up with the 'Tee?  I always just assumed he was Eddie's bro.

Cousin.

He started with Dromintee, moved to the Bridge for a few years and then returned about four years ago.

winsamsoon

Only cross have scored "heavily" against dromintee in the championship - relatively speaking - and i think the most they've scored is about 1-10?. not many other teams would have scored into double figures against dromintee in the last 5 years

Unlike you Aghdavoyle i don't think scoring freely and heavily are the same thing. You use the term heavily i have never mentioned this. I am refering to pressure on the opposing team to score points. Whilst playing against the Cross defence you have a very small window of opportunity to put the ball over the bar or if you are lucky in the net.This is how they beat most teams because they stop you scoring. Whilst i was playing againsy Dromintee we had more time on the ball all around the pitch and that included some freely taken points from play (even in the championship games you refer too). I could write on the back of a stamp the amount of times this has happened against cross.

Everytime there is an argument about the Cross the Dromintee lads come on and spout about a record that contains at least 7 loses and one draw. Hardly a record worth boasting about and similar to the argument of who is second best ie totally irrelevant and meaningless. I also seem to remember the championship game a few years back in Silverbridge when Dromintee only managed to equate a mere 4 or 5 points against a cross defence simlilar to the clans last year. I will never be on here quoting records that span over a 9 year period with no wins in it.

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 26, 2009, 02:08:54 PM

Unlike you Aghdavoyle i don't think scoring freely and heavily are the same thing. You use the term heavily i have never mentioned this. I am refering to pressure on the opposing team to score points. Whilst playing against the Cross defence you have a very small window of opportunity to put the ball over the bar or if you are lucky in the net.This is how they beat most teams because they stop you scoring. Whilst i was playing againsy Dromintee we had more time on the ball all around the pitch and that included some freely taken points from play (even in the championship games you refer too). I could write on the back of a stamp the amount of times this has happened against cross.

Everytime there is an argument about the Cross the Dromintee lads come on and spout about a record that contains at least 7 loses and one draw. Hardly a record worth boasting about and similar to the argument of who is second best ie totally irrelevant and meaningless. I also seem to remember the championship game a few years back in Silverbridge when Dromintee only managed to equate a mere 4 or 5 points against a cross defence simlilar to the clans last year. I will never be on here quoting records that span over a 9 year period with no wins in it.

Once again you fail to grasp what is being said, an your anti-Dromintee bias comes right to the surface.

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 26, 2009, 02:08:54 PM

Can you be that stupid?

couple of glaring points that should be made re your post:

If you were able to score "freely" against dromintee, why didn't you do it more often and get yourself a win?
maybe you had "too much time on the ball around the pitch" and forgot about scoring?

who's referring to dromintee's record other that you? the only record i referred to was the one of not having lost to clans

as you obviously don't credit the dromintee defence, what do you put our ability to challenge cross down to? our "free scoring" forward line perhaps?

Goats Do Shave

...Bring back the Silverbridge / Cullyhanna row...

winsamsoon

QuoteCan you be that stupid?

couple of glaring points that should be made re your post:

If you were able to score "freely" against dromintee, why didn't you do it more often and get yourself a win?
maybe you had "too much time on the ball around the pitch" and forgot about scoring?

who's referring to dromintee's record other that you? the only record i referred to was the one of not having lost to clans

as you obviously don't credit the dromintee defence, what do you put our ability to challenge cross down to? our "free scoring" forward line perhaps?

[/quote]

On your first point did it ever strike you that we just weren't good enough to score ??? However this doesn't take away from the fact that the opportunity was there. Certainly more readily than it would have been if were had been playing cross. If you start a poll on this thread asking which defence would you rather play against and for arguments sake put in Cross and Dromintee (simply because this is what we are talking about) I would say that most people would rather play against Dromintee (it is nothing to do with Bias Corn i happen to know a lot of decent players from dromintee and i have a lot more respect for them than some other clubs)

Your second point about refering to records. That can be attributed to Corn it was his good self that mentioned the stat. So I don't see how you can call anyone stupid. Someone mentioned Dyas and Shannon and even Mc Ardle . IMHO they were more play makers than actually man markers. Dyas was an exceptional talent but again imo all his best work was done going forward. Shannon was the same . Mc Ardle was a bit more wirey and could do a man marking job but as a defensive unit the Cross were far superior.By saying this i don't mean the Dromintee lads were a bad lot but i am simply saying that Cross as a Defensive unit were superior and still are superior to any team in the county. It has been this that have led the foundation for their successes. The reason Dromintee have run cross so close is because they have decent footballers all over the field. Arguably as talented as Cross But the reason they have came up short is the fact that they are not as well drilled and no where near efficient. Cross could win any game with about 40% of possession. Why? because they can grind out results and their defensive qualities (including forwards tarcking back) is top class. Other teams in Armagh may win the odd game with that stat but Cross would win them all if they had to.

Aghdavoyle

winsamsoon

Not a climb down at all I was saying that all along. But because i never mentioned about my respect for Dromintee you went all on the defensive. The original point was concerning the defence of Cross. That has remained unchanged.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch