Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Galligan apparently has a good attitude and is committed but he has been tried before and just isn't up to the level required. Goes completely missing during games. McCutcheon or Corr are much better options at midfield.

rodney trotter

Galligan is probaly one of the fittest players in the County, he was one of the main players on that u21 team that lost the u21 final, in 05. Played half forward I think. Hasn't really worked for him at Senior level for some reason.

Think Dunne can be a big player, but it's keeping him fit, he played a few games with Redhills this year and got injured and was back in again near the end of the year. He looked decent when he was tried full back before. Declan Mckiernan is similar. Maybe he was brought into County Senior too soon possibly only 18/19. like Killian Clarke, maybe not fully developed. And picked up injuries as a result.

CC1

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 02, 2012, 09:09:16 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 02, 2012, 02:55:38 PM
Well boys (and girls), its december so surely time to start thinking about next year for the county team.

U21's

Rd 1 Home to Monaghan
Semi - Cavan/Monaghan vrs armagh/Fermanagh/Down

Might not be as great a draw as it looked, Monaghan made Ulster minor last year but I'm hopefull we can make the semi and no reason why the final would not be possible.

Minors

I'll be honest and say I don't have a clue how good we are or how good armagh are but sure a home game to start is good. Would be great to see the lads do something at this level again after the terrible show last year.

Seniors

I'm confident the right man is in charge now. I'm also confident we can make a strong spine of a team with the likes of Killian Clarke, McCutcheon, Givney, McKiernan, Keating, Barry Reilly etc. Do we have any older player though with quality and experience in their late 20's to help them - I don't think so. I will take a stab at a team and see what ye think...

- New Keeper - I'm not sure who but the age of being a good shot stopper and hammering your kicks up the field is long gone and for me James Reillys time is gone. You need to be smart with the kicks, you need to read the game in front of you.
- McLoughlin (is he available?)
- Killian Clarke
- Damien Reilly

- Alan Clarke
- McCutcheon
- McKeever

- Givney
- Ciaran Galligan

- Barry Reilly
- G McKiernan
- Jack Brady

- Niall McDermott
- Keating
- K Tierney

Sub bench would then consist of the likes of Declan McKiernan, Joe Dillon, Oisin Minagh, Niall Murray, Niall Smith etc

What will Ciaran Galligan bring that we haven't seen before. Honest  and committed player that gives his all but not good enough for county senior level imo, he has had plenty of chances in the past. Think Killian Clarke will need to get stonger for a County Senior full back, still next year and 2014 as a u21. Rory Dunne I think is our best full back, if he is fullly fit. Last few years have been terrible at Senior level, need to start performing next year.
Disagree, I saw Galligan a few times for the seniors and I really believe he should have been given more of a chance. He was excellent as a CHB the times that I saw him. It was probably a case of tough luck with how it turned out with the old management.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

rodney trotter

I'm not having a pop at Ciaran Galligan but the only time I remember him playing Cb was against Offaly in the league this year. He played decent in fairness, but that was against against an awful Offaly team (don't think they even had a manager at the time) and they still managed to beat us.

They were hammered at home by Kildare in Tullamore in the first round in Leinster. Ciaran Galligan was one of the 6 players dropped from the panel before the championship,

I wasn't at all the league games, did he play CB agaisnt Roscommon, one performance against a poor Offaly team is hardly enough.

Itchy

He gave a mom display against down in newry a few yrs back when Cavan beat down. I think its in him but maybe he is lacking confidence or direction.

rodney trotter

Good achievment by the Gaels winning the u21 title last Sunday. Assan Gaels had only player missing from their team which beat Newtown last year. Top class manager in Joe O Connor, he managed Lacken for one year in 2008 and it was the very tough trainings but probaly the fittest Lacken were under any manager. He is in the frame for the senior Cavan Gaels job and would probaly be the best man to get them disciplined.

Paul Graham is getting back to form which is good for the u21's next year, probaly would have been starting had he been fit this year.

rodney trotter

Assan Gaels had only 1 player missing is what i meant to say.

PhilsJemmysField

Gaels were absolute value for the win against assan gaels. Game should have been over at half time really and Paul Graham really ran the show at periods

Itchy

Can someone tell me are the amalgamations going ahead for the senior championship next year or have things been changed?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Itchy on December 06, 2012, 08:05:16 PM
Can someone tell me are the amalgamations going ahead for the senior championship next year or have things been changed?

County Board Meeting tonight to decide League Formats for next year....

Championship structure not being finalised tonight - clubs relegated in 2012 can reapply for Championship status plus Amalgamation applications - all to be in for early January

League Format is gonna be 4 Divisions by the looks of it... Top 2 in each promoted with top 4 playing off for League title.. couple of different options for relegation though
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

PhilsJemmysField

This is what we got this morning  the League will be Home and Away

Option 2
Four divisions
Division 1A  10 teams
Division 1B  10 teams
Division 2  10 teams
Division 3  11 teams.
Top 4 teams on points in Division 1A play off for the League Title
1 v 4 and 2 v 3
Bottom team on points are relegated.
Team 9 on points and team 8 on points play off and loser is relegated to 1B
Top two teams on points in Division 1B are promoted to Division 1A
Top four teams on points play off for the League title.
1 v 4 and 2 v 3
Team 9 on points and team 8 on points play off and loser is relegated to Division 2
Top two teams on points in Division 2 are promoted to Division 1B
1 v 4 and 2 v 3
Team 9 on points and team 8 on points play off and loser is relegated to Division 3
Top two teams on points in Division 3 are promoted to Division 2
1 v 4 and 2 v 3.

Championship 2013
Teams who were relegated by the 2012 league can apply for Championship status.
This must be received by the Secretary by noon on Friday 4th January.
Also applications for Amalgamations must also be in for that date.
There are no plans to link League and Championship.
When we have confirmed numbers for the championship we will discuss the format at the first County Committee meeting which will be held on Monday 14th January.

Itchy

Cavan beat Louth 2-14 to 0-12 in the Fitzsimmons cup Shield today. No other details at the moment.

Itchy

From a poster on hoganstand

1. A O'Meara
2. M Brady
3. R Dunne
4. D Barkey
5. K Meehan
6. A Clarke
7. D O'Reilly
8. G McKiernan
9. O O'Connell
10. K Tierney
11. C Mackey
12. M McKeever
13. M Reilly
14. D Givney
15. E Keating

Barkey was sent off near the end for 2 yellows. Mossy Corr came in for Keating who picked up an injury in the first half, and M Dunne came on for Mackey.

Denn Forever

Report on the match from HS.

SF Tournament: McGivney inspires Cavan
09 December 2012

Cavan's Gearoid McKiernan gets away from Louth's Conor Rafferty during the Fitzsimons Cup Shield final at Grangegodden. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERECavan 2-14
Louth 0-12

Cavan turned in an impressive performance to defeat Louth in the Fitzsimons Cup Shield final at Grangegodden. The senior intercounty tournament is hosted by the Gaeil Colmcille club.

Cavan dominated the opening half and led at the interval 2-8 to 0-5. Louth got the better start and where 0-2 to 0-0 up after five minutes with points from Shane Lennon and Brian Donnelly. The Breffni men stormed into the game and a goal from Martin Reilly along with points from Geraoid McKiernan (2) and Eugene Keating put them in the driving seat. Cavan went on another scoring spree in the final ten minutes which yielded 1-4. Reilly got his second goal and a point, Kevin Tierney chipped in with two and McKiernan, who was putting in a man of the match performance, kicked his third point of the half.

Cavan continued to dominate the early exchanges of the second half and points from Mossy Corr and David Givney gave them an eleven point lead. Louth enjoyed their best period in the game midway through the half and where rewarded with points from David Reid, Kevin Rogers, Shane Lennon and Darren Clarke. Just when it looked that the Louth men might stage a comeback Cavan began to dominate again and midfielders McKiernan and Corr kicked two points each to put the issue beyond doubt.

After the game Gaeil Colmcille Chairman Willie Newman presented the Fitzsimons Shield to Cavan captain Gearoid McKiernan.

Cavan scorers: Martin Reilly 2-1, Gearoid McKiernan 0-5, Mossy Corr 0-3, Eugene Keating and Kevin Tierney 0-2 each, David Givney 0-1.

Louth scorers: Shane Lennon 0-4, David Reid 0-3, Kevin Rogers and Brian Donnelly 0-2 each, Darren Clarke 0-1.

Referee Joey Curley Meath

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sans pessimism

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 05, 2012, 11:08:59 AM
Good achievment by the Gaels winning the u21 title last Sunday. Assan Gaels had only player missing from their team which beat Newtown last year. Top class manager in Joe O Connor, he managed Lacken for one year in 2008 and it was the very tough trainings but probaly the fittest Lacken were under any manager. He is in the frame for the senior Cavan Gaels job and would probaly be the best man to get them disciplined.

Paul Graham is getting back to form which is good for the u21's next year, probaly would have been starting had he been fit this year.
Did he win with CG as manager previously
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"