America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

A lot of people are talking about how there are no solutions to the problem of gun violence in America.

But then I overheard somebody on a bus say "they should ban guns".

I thought to myself, that sounds so obvious that it just might work!

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 12:51:55 AM
A lot of people are talking about how there are no solutions to the problem of gun violence in America.

You didnt think, thats the problem, you ban guns it gets worse, do you seriously think that banning guns will solve the problem? If so you are a biggr idiot than I took you for!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Captain Obvious

Its a country that loves their guns so a ban on all guns isn't going to happen anytime soon no matter the amount of school/mass shootings. The simple solution is tighter gun control in every state = less deaths.

Oraisteach

Capt, your analysis is simple but true.  As desirable as it might be to ban guns, it simply isn't going to happen, but let's start with the obvious.  Mass shootings.  Yes, deaths from mass shootings constitute only a thin slice of all annual gun deaths, still a ban on military grade weapons like the AR-15 seems like a reasonable thing to do.  Nobody, I mean nobody, needs those weapons. 

I don't know how much worse it can get. Let's take a landmark death, since we seem to be forgetful of or indifferent to the others. They're so frequent, after all. Robert Kennedy's. Since his death in 1968, more than 1.5 miillion, yes one and a half  million, have died from guns in the US, more than the combined total of death in all military conflicts combined, including the Civil War. That's obscene.

So, let's start by banning all absurd weapons. Period. Then let's continue by applying stricter rules to gun ownership and begin by outlawing out-of-the-trunk-of-my-car sales and regulating gun shows even more strictly.

None of this will happen of course because politicians, Republican and Democrat, are owned by the gun lobby. 

And shut the hell up about mental illness.  The mentally ill are not the problem, especially when you're cutting funding for mental health! People have mental health problems in other countries, but they don't amass small arsenals and go on shooting sprees. Guns are the problem, guns and the paid politicians who refuse to enact sensible measures to curb their easy acquisition.

johnneycool

Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 01:51:20 AM

You didnt think, thats the problem, you ban guns it gets worse, do you seriously think that banning guns will solve the problem? If so you are a biggr idiot than I took you for!

#thoughtsandprayers is it then.

Yeah that'll fuckin work.

sid waddell

Yes mate, I think it would work way, way better than the current situation.

It's a very simple problem with a very simple solution, and only very simple people, like you, think otherwise.

seafoid

American history is drenched in violence because it's a settler colonial country. The Injuns were dispossessed brutally. Then you have slavery which wasn't particularly fluffy either. Lynchings too.  You can't switch that off in a society.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 16, 2018, 02:03:24 AM
Its a country that loves their guns so a ban on all guns isn't going to happen anytime soon no matter the amount of school/mass shootings. The simple solution is tighter gun control in every state = less deaths.

I agree with this but doesn't Chicago have both the strictest laws on gun control and the highest number of shooting deaths?

easytiger95

The neighbouring states don't have the same strict laws and the guns flood into Chicago. Highlights the need for federal action, rather than state laws (though realistically it is at state level where the most progress can be made).

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 10:14:54 AM

It's a very simple problem with a very simple solution, and only very simple people, like you, think otherwise.

Siddles, how much time have you spent in the States? If you think this is a simple problem you are the one that is simple, I just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so, so that makes things a tad complex, who is going to collect these guns? the liberal politicians? Hardly ked!

What is your simple solution sidley? Pray tell, I am all ears.

The fact is guns have been a part of American history since the beginning of American history and no way in hell will the gun ever be removed from American society, its not going to happen ever!!!!

I could see a scenario were snowflakes like you sidley go knocking on doors demanding gun owners hand over their guns, I would watch in fascinated horror as your chest exploded with a 45 ripping through it and your mouth agape with that wtf  expression before you expired, the fact you see this as a simple problem with a simple fix speaks volumes, in my scenario you would be missed sidley, truly missed, and this from a man who has no time for guns at all at all anymore, you are living in fantasy land kid and you know nothing about the gun control situation in America, absolutely nothing!

Police officers, Marines, Armay men etc will refuse en masse to take guns from the people, it will not happen.............Ever. Simple.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

screenexile

Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 10:14:54 AM

Siddles, how much time have you spent in the States? If you think this is a simple problem you are the one that is simple, I just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so, so that makes things a tad complex, who is going to collect these guns? the liberal politicians? Hardly ked!

What is your simple solution sidley? Pray tell, I am all ears.

The fact is guns have been a part of American history since the beginning of American history and no way in hell will the gun ever be removed from American society, its not going to happen ever!!!!

I could see a scenario were snowflakes like you sidley go knocking on doors demanding gun owners hand over their guns, I would watch in fascinated horror as your chest exploded with a 45 ripping through it and your mouth agape with that wtf  expression before you expired, the fact you see this as a simple problem with a simple fix speaks volumes, in my scenario you would be missed sidley, truly missed, and this from a man who has no time for guns at all at all anymore, you are living in fantasy land kid and you know nothing about the gun control situation in America, absolutely nothing!

Police officers, Marines, Armay men etc will refuse en masse to take guns from the people, it will not happen.............Ever. Simple.

seafoid

Leader McConnell

@SenateMajLdr

I'm deeply saddened by the horrific violence in Florida. Praying for the victims, their families, and the Parkland community. Always grateful for first responders

Norman Ornstein Retweeted
@JamesFallows

·

16h

Just for the historical record: after the Sandy Hook / Newtown shootings of Dec 2012, @LeaderMcConnell led the Senate filibuster that kept gun control measures from coming to a vote. (link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/politics/senate-obama-gun-control.html) nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/...

Maggie Haberman

@maggieNYT

·

14h

Trump said nothing about guns.

NBC News

@NBCNews

House Speaker Paul Ryan said Congress needs to "take a breath and collect the facts." "We don't just knee-jerk before we even have all the facts and the data," Ryan said on WIBC Radio of Indianapolis.

Michiko Kakutani

@michikokakutani

·

1h

In 1996, the Republican-majority Congress threatened to strip funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention unless it stopped funding research into firearm injuries and deaths. (link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/10/04/gun-violence-research-has-been-shut-down-for-20-years/?utm_term=.b495134d4dbd) washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

How does anyone know unless it's tried?

Australia decided to have an amnesty on semi automatic weapons and introduce strict background checks on all gun ownership going forward.

They haven't had a mass shooting since and the rates of homicide and suicide have reduced. You will never stop it completely or get all the guns but at least do f**king something!!!

tonto1888

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 16, 2018, 11:17:08 AM
The neighbouring states don't have the same strict laws and the guns flood into Chicago. Highlights the need for federal action, rather than state laws (though realistically it is at state level where the most progress can be made).

makes sense

TabClear

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2018, 11:52:15 AM
How does anyone know unless it's tried?

Australia decided to have an amnesty on semi automatic weapons and introduce strict background checks on all gun ownership going forward.

They haven't had a mass shooting since and the rates of homicide and suicide have reduced. You will never stop it completely or get all the guns but at least do f**king something!!!

Was not aware of that.

I dont normally pay too much attention to this thread because a) I know very little about the laws and situation in America bar what I see in the media and b) like all things USA on this board it seems to develop into the  into the usual  rants.

However, I honestly fail to see how anyone can defend not banning automatic/semi automatic  weapons. I get the whole issue around the number of  guns in circulation and if you banned them then they would be forced underground etc etc. But, if you make it harder for one nutjob to carry out a Sandy Hook, Vegas, Florida then surely that is a result. Yes if they were determined enough they could probably source guns illegally but I assume this would take time and they probably would not be able to put together the same arsenal and secondly may go for an "easier" option of using a knife/car or even a handgun etc. Horrific yes, but highly unlikely to result in the same number of fatalities.

I'm not sure where I stand on the handgun side of things. Personally I think if you are starting from scratch you ban them but given the Constitution and the sheer numbers in circulation that is never going to happen.