Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2012, 03:25:06 PM
If we played one code (hurling) then I really believe we would be consistently challenging for honours. No guarantee that we'd win but challenging all the same.

I think we're all in agreement about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IMO......
Div 1 hurling doesn't suit st galls as their player availability/commitment due to dual commitments weighting in the main toward football means the team selections are all over the place. Not good for anyone. Enjoy your hurling in division 2 and look for a scalp in the championship. Remains to be seen what youse can bring to the championship this year but I dont think anyone will be taking youse for granted thats for sure.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

winker3716

In my humble opinion, Lamh Dhearg, St. Galls, Sarsfields, St. Johns would never commit their key players to the wee ball code.  In all honesty, Rossa I believe are the premiere Belfast hurling club and the only club likely to commit their main resources to hurling.  Antrim and Ulster have a lot to answer for in this regard.  As long as hurling plays second fiddle to football in Antrim and Ulster, I cannot see much improvement in the city.
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

jdyok

St. Johns would never commit their key players to the wee ball code.  On what evidence do you base this statement Winker? 8)

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: winker3716 on August 06, 2012, 09:47:01 PM
In my humble opinion, Lamh Dhearg, St. Galls, Sarsfields, St. Johns would never commit their key players to the wee ball code.  In all honesty, Rossa I believe are the premiere Belfast hurling club and the only club likely to commit their main resources to hurling.  Antrim and Ulster have a lot to answer for in this regard.  As long as hurling plays second fiddle to football in Antrim and Ulster, I cannot see much improvement in the city.

that's a given winker, we all know of some the minor teams that came out of Belfast over the years and if those teams would have stayed together without the distractions we don't have to contend with further north I feel there would be less Senior titles up our way. I have noticed on here recently that when it comes to antrim top teams some posters are are now talking about the big two now(Dall and LG) instead of the big three(perceived demise of my club dunloy) I find it kind of sad that an area with probably the best resources in ireland barr Dublin cant be taking at least there share of Senior titles. imagine everyone on here talking about the big six or big eight. I bet we would be going places then at county level. I mentoned Galls earlier not because they beat us last year but they nearly took the Dall out as well. to come out of ulster in football and win an all Ireland is some going but they can hurl to and like to see them hurling with no distractions. Karl stewart and MC gourtys hurling credentials need no introduction but last year i was really impressed with Gallagher and Burke looked like a natural FB. Cj was good minor but not committed. As for the other clubs I don't know St Johns minor teams of this last three years don't seem to be cutting it at U21, seems history is repeating itself again. This Post might provoke the reaction ''that's the way it is and always will be'' but surely its time for some radical new approach, maybe a hurling first football second club. this might open up a can of worms with defections etc but a lot of that happens anyway(correct me if I'm wrong)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Last Man

Lets face it lads, too few people really give a sh!te about it in our urban areas. GAA clubs are treated for the most part by parents and kids as an alternative leisure centre not the heart of the community as they used to be. The odd example of precocious talent pops up now and then but we struggle to produce the steady 5-8s that every club needs. You might get through juvenile levels with some success bringing in kids from all round the place but long term its just not sustainable because they just don't have a that ingrained love for the game and their club anymore.

winker3716

Quote from: jdyok on August 06, 2012, 11:03:22 PM
St. Johns would never commit their key players to the wee ball code.  On what evidence do you base this statement Winker? 8)
Well, their historical success at senior level has primarily been in football.  They never really made the grade at senior level in hurling.  Always up there I suppose, but not too much silverware.  On the other hand, football! The only medals in recent times were probably at the Novena  ;)er.
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

theskull1

theres committing and theres committing HS.

LM's point about a sizeable number of juvenile players and parents never developing a real passion and love of the game and the club they represent is surely a very real problem in the city especially (but we're not insulated from that issue in the sticks either). Too much choice has created more fly by nights who pick up and drop interests on a whim.  Some serious thought needs to be given as to how we get more kids from 15+ staying committed and aspiring to be an adult hurler with their club down the line.

theskull1

OK maybe it is.

My point about how different clubs/players perceive their commitment to the game is a vital factor as well. The drinking culture here almost makes hurling an annoyance for those whod rather party all weekend.

All the good work in training developing fitness stickwork and a team bond can be ruined by a few heading on the lash at every opportunity.

Buswhacker

As far as I know St Johns have 7 senior hurling titles an Rossa have 12. Up to a few years ago some of the " big guns" in North Antrim hadn't acquired this number of titles.

theskull1

Quote from: Buswhacker on August 07, 2012, 11:19:37 AM
As far as I know St Johns have 7 senior hurling titles an Rossa have 12. Up to a few years ago some of the " big guns" in North Antrim hadn't acquired this number of titles.

Relevant as ever buskwhacker. Another insight into the way you tick

Milltown Row2

Yeah too many kids don't buy into the club and don't dream of playing in Casement never mind stepping onto Croke Park to play a major match. The drinking culture was there in my day also but it never made me miss a match nor training, arrangements for holidays were usually over the weeks when games weren't played (the height of summer in Antrim).

I hate nothing more than lads who train hard all winter and when important league matches/Championship games feck off to a concert or stag weekend. What's the fooking point of the preseason training?

So how do you keep lads together and involved in the club?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Buswhacker

I'm talking about "historical success" skull, just a wee aside to lighten the tone of this discussion. It may not be relevant(as ever ) but at at least it's not as boring as you're ill-informed pontificating.With guys like you on board you're club must be up there.......but then you don't identify you're club in you're summary. Handy when sniping at me...I know the way you "tick".

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on August 07, 2012, 12:15:24 PM
I'm talking about "historical success" skull, just a wee aside to lighten the tone of this discussion. It may not be relevant(as ever ) but at at least it's not as boring as you're ill-informed pontificating.With guys like you on board you're club must be up there.......but then you don't identify you're club in you're summary. Handy when sniping at me...I know the way you "tick".

"Be nice to people on your way up, because you might meet them on your way down."
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Buswhacker on August 07, 2012, 12:15:24 PM

Hard to believe you haven't worked that one out.

A pointless jibe is what it was (not that I give a toss you must understand). The very fact that it came into your mind to make this totally irrelevant comment is indeed laughable so in one way you have lightened the tone. 

winker3716

The point  I am making really, is that the boys in the big smoke would rather hog the limelight in the football code.  I would be of the opinion that majority of gaels in Belfast would rather aspire to what Galls have achieved over the years. In Antrim and Ulster there is no doubt that young aspiring gaels in Belfast/South West, would more often than not, wish to reach their greater potential in the big ball code.  That's not necessarily the clubs or parents fault.  It is just the way things have developed in Ulster.  Hurling, regrettably will continue to be the poor cousin in the city.  It really pains me to say that though  :(