Terry Hyland

Started by Westside, August 02, 2016, 06:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

The second longest serving manager currently in the game steps down. A big loss to Cavan football. He took us at our lowest ebb and made us competitive, picking apart some long standing problems in Cavan football with little fuss. He won two 2 Ulster U21 titles and an All Ireland Junior title as well as taking us to Division 1. If Cavan go on to take some silverware in the short to medium term, it will be built on what Terry has done.

Jayop

I see a lot of Cavan fans were critical of Terry and were calling for him to step down but personally looking in from the outside I think it's a mistake. He was doing great work with you and had you playing good football again. Very close to taking our scalp in the drawn game and heads probably went down in the back door but the Derry result shouldn't have happened anyway.

Got you up to Div1 and I think he deserved a crack at it next year.

Itchy

A lot of Cavan fans? Don't think a lot is true. However it's all well and good saying you want him to resign but who are the alternatives. For what it's worth I think he made the right call, maybe it needs to be freshened up but at the of the day we have no top class forwards and that's something a manager cannot fix.

seafoid

Maybe time for a new face. Cavan haven't done that well in the championship recently despite going from D3 to D1. He leaves Cavan football in a better state.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Cavan at U21 and Senior under Hyland were known as solid in defence and took few risks offensively. That changed this year a last throw of the dice by Hyland or did someone else change the style of play?

omaghjoe

Surprising news thought he has done a good enough job, did he jump/pushed/helping hand..... whats the scoop?

Westside

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 02, 2016, 08:34:16 PM
Cavan at U21 and Senior under Hyland were known as solid in defence and took few risks offensively. That changed this year a last throw of the dice by Hyland or did someone else change the style of play?

It didn't just change this year. There was a progression to a more attacking system last year that followed into this year.

I haven't heard for sure yet but I would imagine there was an input from the players that they wanted things changed up and Terry took that on board and stood down. I believe he would have stayed for as long as he was wanted by the players. That's just my own opinion.

Aaron Boone

He can hold his head high with the record start to finish.

Unlucky with the scheduling this year after Tyrone draw/defeat. It was gonna be every week thereafter.

cavanmaniac

I think all Cavan fans would have loved to see a home-grown man like Hyland achieve his ambitions with the team but it's clearly the right time to move on and freshen things up a little. He leaves behind a very sizeable body of work,  and hands on a team in a robust state of health about to take on Division 1 teams in 2017. All Cavan fans are rightly grateful for all Terry did.

It's a cliché, but it bears saying now: the next managerial appointment will be absolutely crucial in the evolution of this team.

Westside

Peter Reilly is the readymade replacement. Very highly regarded by the players who have played under him many of whom are on the senior team now.

We don't have the money to be enticing a 'big name' to the role and even if we did, it's not the way to go.

Hyland citing work commitments for standing down but I'm doubtful, seemed bullish about continuing if he was wanted after the Derry defeat.

Jayop

Herself is a cavan woman and she text me there to say she heard Oisin McConville was in the running. Not heard yet where she got that from.

Westside

I like Oisin's approach to the game and he was a wonderful player but I don't know if he's done enough as a manager to be a highly sought after candidate for this job.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

The return of Tommy Tom Carr hopefully, not that I have anything against Cavan just anything to get him off commentary.

Rossfan

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on August 03, 2016, 08:09:04 PM
The return of Tommy Tom Carr hopefully, not that I have anything against Cavan just anything to get him off commentary.

:D ;D :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

skeog

oisin would be a good choice imo