The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

i thought Brolly and Tohill were  a joke last night. In general they are possibly the two best analysts and i usually like listening to them but let themselves down yesterday. Striking is striking, full stop and if we start getting into the semantics like the power of a punch or he didn't hit him that hard, the game is finished. Both of them should have been big enough to say, he struck the player and should have walked despite their own county colours.
The reality is the analysts shouldn't be commenting on their own county unless they agree to be impartial and both of them took the piss last night. neither should be asked for their comments re derry for the rest of the season on live television. that was an absolute piss-take last night and highlights when someone has a virtual monopoly on viewing rights the sort of shite they can get away with.

Mentalman

Quote from: the green man on June 02, 2008, 01:13:19 PM
That other blade, Ni Chullin(?), she's better.

Nail on head.

As to the substantive issue, Brolly let himself down badly, but not for the first time I suppose. Getting ratty with O'Rourke was hillarious though, implying Colm actively wanted to get the Derry lad suspended. The only thing to say in his defense was that he was obviously fired up after his counties win, his wee cynical heart still cares dearly about all thing Derry. Big Anthony was at least a little more shame faced. It was a striking offence, plain and simple. If he gets suspended he'll only have himself to blame.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

screenexile

Dear god what's with all this uproar!? People are biased FACT! Whether it's Paul Curran and Tommy Lyons w**king over Dublin when they beat Longford or Louth or some other footballing superpower down there, Martin McHugh hating Derry (and likig Donegal slightly... now there was someone showing themselves up yesterday), or Jarlath Burns being Armagh through and through. The rest are as bad with O'Rourke hard to listen to when he's defending Meath.

To call the 2 lads a joke is a bit rich coming from a Dub supporter!

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2008, 02:34:49 PM
.....Or a Derry man defending two Derry men defending a Derry man. ;)

My head hurts  :-\ :-\ :-\

Rav67

Quote from: screenexile on June 02, 2008, 02:30:59 PM
Dear god what's with all this uproar!? People are biased FACT! Whether it's Paul Curran and Tommy Lyons w**king over Dublin when they beat Longford or Louth or some other footballing superpower down there, Martin McHugh hating Derry (and likig Donegal slightly... now there was someone showing themselves up yesterday), or Jarlath Burns being Armagh through and through. The rest are as bad with O'Rourke hard to listen to when he's defending Meath.

While we're at the nail-on-heads

Billys Boots

QuotePeople are biased FACT!

I was wondering when the whataboutery would start.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

Whataboutery? I would have thought that in a discussion where people are calling Brolly and Tohill biased (which they are and I'm not denying that), it should be opened up that pretty much all the pundits on the Sunday Game are biased for their own county...actually none more so than our famous host!

whiskeysteve

Quote from: INDIANA on June 02, 2008, 01:48:08 PM
i thought Brolly and Tohill were  a joke last night. In general they are possibly the two best analysts and i usually like listening to them but let themselves down yesterday. Striking is striking, full stop and if we start getting into the semantics like the power of a punch or he didn't hit him that hard, the game is finished. Both of them should have been big enough to say, he struck the player and should have walked despite their own county colours.
The reality is the analysts shouldn't be commenting on their own county unless they agree to be impartial and both of them took the piss last night. neither should be asked for their comments re derry for the rest of the season on live television. that was an absolute piss-take last night and highlights when someone has a virtual monopoly on viewing rights the sort of shite they can get away with.

I agree that Tohill should have straight out said it was a red card offence but slight bias for your own county is surely understandable and on such occasions the punditry should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't understand the uproar here, especially with Brolly who has a track record of being a bit of a wind up (was at the game so missed what he said, admittedly)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

INDIANA

simply should have had davis in the studio instead of brolly and tohill should have been given the night off. It's not that difficult to organise. obviosuly in RTE it's very difficult. there is biased and there is yesterday's pisstake because that's what it was. But when you've got a monoploy that's the shite you have to put up with.

Rav67

Quote from: INDIANA on June 02, 2008, 03:11:25 PM
simply should have had davis in the studio instead of brolly and tohill should have been given the night off. It's not that difficult to organise. obviosuly in RTE it's very difficult. there is biased and there is yesterday's pisstake because that's what it was. But when you've got a monoploy that's the shite you have to put up with.

What difference does it make really?  Joe Public can think for himself and doesn't need Tohill or someone else in the same circumstances to condemn a fellow countyman to make up his mind whether an incident was a sending-off offence or not.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: INDIANA on June 02, 2008, 03:11:25 PM

Can't understand your rage at a one off show of bias. You said yourself they are good analysts in general. Tony Davis was there to bring balance for tohill, likewise o'rouke for brolly.

Also what duo would be better to cover a derry match than joe and anthony - surely they are best placed to give insight.

Most of all, how the f**k this storm in a teacup is down to a broadcasting monopoly is beyond me
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Rav67 on June 02, 2008, 02:37:16 PM

While we're at the nail-on-heads

Perfectly summed up screen
you get this on MOTD and skyports week in week out
wenger - i didnt see it !
ferguson - never a penalty
jamie redknapp - gerrard didnt dive
etc, etc
everyone sticks up for their own in every walk of life
on the derry thread it goes on every week, everone has blue, maroon, or red glasses on depending on their club

someone else said there, rav67 maybe, is why do we need thesed people on here week in out to state the obvious
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

billy the kid

Exile is right all of the pundits are biased to a certain degree and none more so than McHugh, Burns and that tube Tommy lyons  and the worst Ive ever seen is Ger Houlahan who always managed to come out with "you cant look past Armagh" no matter what game was being talked about.

Tohil and Brolly showed bias no doubt about it but so what? Every single poster on here shows bias in their views being generous to their own team and being very hard on teams they dont like.  I know I do it all the time and I dont apologise for it one bit.

These wonderfully tribalised views we display when talking about our own county are one of the many things that make the GAA such a brilliant part of life.

As someone else said its all a storm in a tea cup.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

screenexile

Quote from: billy the kid on June 02, 2008, 04:21:46 PM

Exile is right all of the pundits are biased to a certain degree and none more so than McHugh, Burns and that tube Tommy lyons  and the worst Ive ever seen is Ger Houlahan who always managed to come out with "you cant look past Armagh" no matter what game was being talked about.

Tohil and Brolly showed bias no doubt about it but so what? Every single poster on here shows bias in their views being generous to their own team and being very hard on teams they dont like.  I know I do it all the time and I dont apologise for it one bit.

These wonderfully tribalised views we display when talking about our own county are one of the many things that make the GAA such a brilliant part of life.

As someone else said its all a storm in a tea cup.

That may be but I think you owe all of us an apology! :D

Will Hunting

Why are people so surprised that Tohill doesn't want to come on TV on a Sunday evening and try and get a fellow countyman suspended. Basically, that is what it boils down to. The Sunday Game has the potential (and we've seen it before) to help the CCCCCCC with their investigations into on-field misdemeanours. It's like a trial in the studio.

Now the funny thing about all this is that it's the Dublin posters who are crying about Tohill and Brolly's comments. What's it to you lads?? Still peeved that Ciaran Whelan managed to get suspended after 4 years + of thuggery? Jumping in to comment after a striking offence like we should all be up in arms.

Special mention also to whichever Monaghan poster compared Doherty's actions to Gary McQuaid's last week. McQuaid stamped, kicked and threw a punch straight in front of the referee. This followed an elbow on McCabe only moments earlier (you can see it on the Sunday Game highlights last week). To compare the two is nothing short of ridiculous. I don't even think Doherty extended his arm out to strike!