Paraic Duffy to Stand Down

Started by AZOffaly, October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2017, 07:32:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2017, 07:12:26 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on October 11, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
Personally I think he has done a great job but maybe that's because I believe in making progress and not wanting to stay in the dark ages.

I know the naysayers will say that most of the money is going to Dublin and some old farmer in Offaly can't see every game on Rte.  what you won't say is that Dublin has the biggest population and there are now more games on RTÉ and Tg4 than ever before. People all over the world can now watch gaa games, the growth overseas is huge.  The super 8's will be a success, the gaa is in a good place, are any counties getting less now than they were 10 years ago? Are we a more progressive organization who support a rugby World Cup bid(as we should)? Do more counties have centers of excellence funded in part by the gaa, and the same for club facilities.

Good job Pauric, fcuk the begruders..

But but but... Syferus said  he's  bad....

And proved it too. People are always too quick to lionise the retiring and dead, so the amount of praise here is no surprise. Give it a few years.
Give what a few years?
What's going to happen?
What did you "prove"?

Stop ruining adult discussions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2017, 09:10:52 PM
Personally I think he has done a great job but maybe that's because I believe in making progress and not wanting to stay in the dark ages.

I know the naysayers will say that most of the money is going to Dublin and some old farmer in Offaly can't see every game on Rte.  what you won't say is that Dublin has the biggest population and there are now more games on RTÉ and Tg4 than ever before. People all over the world can now watch gaa games, the growth overseas is huge.  The super 8's will be a success, the gaa is in a good place, are any counties getting less now than they were 10 years ago? Are we a more progressive organization who support a rugby World Cup bid(as we should)? Do more counties have centers of excellence funded in part by the gaa, and the same for club facilities.

And proved it too. People are always too quick to lionise the retiring and dead, so the amount of praise here is no surprise. Give it a few years.
Give what a few years?
What's going to happen?
What did you "prove"?

Are you talking to yourself or something?

yellowcard

From what I can gather, Duffy was a thoroughly decent man with the best of intentions. His era will be easier judged in 10 years time but despite his empty soundbites about the importance of clubs, he has chosen a pathway that has favoured the elite. The GPA deal, the skysports deal and the super 8's were some of his biggest decisions none of which I'm comfortable with.

I dearly hope McKenna doesn't get the job, I think it needs to be somebody from outside the tent who hasn't been institutionalised and who is coming in with a clear head and a definite vision of where he wants to go. To me, despite his best efforts, Duffy lacked that clear vision and single mindedness needed for such a role. He was originally a teacher I understand and I believe that such a role is more suited to someone from a business background but who sees the GAA as more of an organisation about its people rather than revenue maximisation.

Zulu

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 11, 2017, 08:52:36 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 11, 2017, 08:00:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on October 11, 2017, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 11, 2017, 06:03:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM
http://gaeliclife.com/2017/10/paraic-duffy-stand-director-general/

My thoughts on Paraic is he seems to be a strong, clever man, but was too focused on the revenue generation and bottom line implications of the Business, with a capital B, of the GAA. We need the GAA ran well, to provide money to reinvest to keep the games strong all over the country. At times I felt the games were seen as a vehicle to provide more money. More money was the aim, rather than the games themselves.

Don't often disagree with you AZ but I do here. Duffy was a very capable, fair and innovate administrator and has brought the GAA forward. I don't see any evidence that the GAA has put money ahead of the games. I think the growth of Dublin GAA has skewed people's views of things and the GAA were right to do things like moving the grades to U17 and U20. As more changes are made the club player will benefit and only someone who doesn't know Duffy could claim he isn't a genuine grassroots GAA man.

U17 I'd with agreed as the early rounds clashes with the leaving cert exams. I don't believe the GAA under the strong voice of Paraic Duffy was right to get rid of the U21 football championship. On club football April is meant to be left free for counties to start their club championships next year but as Liam Kearns recently said  with the AI championship starting in the first week of May. How many are seriously going to release county players to the clubs for the whole of April? and then play the first round of the inter county championship in May?

I think moving to U20 is one of the best decisions the GAA has made. It clashed with Sigerson where it was and many U21's were on senior league teams so some lads were playing Wednesday and then again on the weekend both of which could have involved significant journeys. Now you can't play senior and U20 and there's no clash with Sigerson.
A simple change could have avoided such of a clash.  U20s from what i know can still play in the NFL for their seniors and for their college teams in February. Come the summer time its decided which panel is best for a U20 and those U20s might only warm the bench seeing no game time for the county seniors this summer missing out on the U20 AI championship.  One of the best decisions the GAA has made i think not.

One of the biggest problems in the GAA is that talented players could play for 8-10 teams in the same year. It is a brilliant decision to start addressing that. If an U20 is on a senior panel he has no chance of playing for then that's the county's fault and nothing to do with the system.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: yellowcard on October 11, 2017, 10:38:29 PM
From what I can gather, Duffy was a thoroughly decent man with the best of intentions. His era will be easier judged in 10 years time but despite his empty soundbites about the importance of clubs, he has chosen a pathway that has favoured the elite. The GPA deal, the skysports deal and the super 8's were some of his biggest decisions none of which I'm comfortable with.

I dearly hope McKenna doesn't get the job, I think it needs to be somebody from outside the tent who hasn't been institutionalised and who is coming in with a clear head and a definite vision of where he wants to go. To me, despite his best efforts, Duffy lacked that clear vision and single mindedness needed for such a role. He was originally a teacher I understand and I believe that such a role is more suited to someone from a business background but who sees the GAA as more of an organisation about its people rather than revenue maximisation.

Was he really a teacher? What is it with the top jobs in Ireland (I'm thinking politics) that teachers are so over-represented?

sligoman2

Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2017, 09:10:52 PM

Give what a few years?
What's going to happen?
What did you "prove"?

;D ;D ;D brilliant
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Seany

A brilliant administrator with a sharp brain and a great antennae for bullshitters. Remember the DG doesn't have a vote and it is his job to enact the ideas and motions which are brought forward to Congress and Central Council.  He could have sat back and just done his job without ever presenting an idea, but he really cares about the GAA and put his neck on the block on many occasions to improve the association. If you want to get to know him and his intellect, just read his annual reports. Fascinating reading, excellently written, detailed, very professional, with searing insights and  full of ideas. He will be sorely missed. He could not be bought. He was his own man. He had no cronies. He wasn't interested in globe trotting, or big dinners etc. Compare him to the boy who holds the same job at the FAI.

Captain Obvious

Paraic Duffy stepping away from his post the same year that his U20 and Super 8 babies will be born how unsurprising. No doubt he will have candidates lined up like himself to take over his role he might even have countrywide roadshow to get the county reps to elect his favorite.

sligoman2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 11, 2017, 11:07:03 PM
Paraic Duffy stepping away from his post the same year that his U20 and Super 8 babies will be born how unsurprising. No doubt he will have candidates lined up like himself to take over his role he might even have countrywide roadshow to get the county reps to elect his favorite.

Not sure what this post means.  What you are saying is not obvious captain.

I'm sure he wouldn't have proposed the ideas if he didn't think they would be successful so I don't understand why he would now have second thoughts and be so concerned that he decided to retire before they went into effect.
Obviously I'm missing something captain or else you are just making no sense like our Roscommon Einstein..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 11, 2017, 11:17:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 11, 2017, 11:07:03 PM

Not sure what this post means.  What you are saying is not obvious captain.

I'm sure he wouldn't have proposed the ideas if he didn't think they would be successful so I don't understand why he would now have second thoughts and be so concerned that he decided to retire before they went into effect.
Obviously I'm missing something captain or else you are just making no sense like our Roscommon Einstein..

He's basically saying that Duffy has deliberately sabotaged the association, scuttled off before the damage happens, and is going to spend the first few months of his retirement mounting a political-style campaign to have someone just like him be appointed to replace him. It's the classic Irish begrudger's mindset. Never seems to cross some people's minds that someone might be working in good faith and have honourable intentions.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 11, 2017, 11:25:02 PM
Never seems to cross some people's minds that someone might be working in good faith and have honourable intentions.
Paraic Duffy we are talking about here right? anyway would be rude of me not to say bye Paraic and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Eamonnca1

SCFC

I suppose we still don't know the salary?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Seany on October 11, 2017, 11:05:26 PM
A brilliant administrator with a sharp brain and a great antennae for bullshitters. Remember the DG doesn't have a vote and it is his job to enact the ideas and motions which are brought forward to Congress and Central Council.  He could have sat back and just done his job without ever presenting an idea, but he really cares about the GAA and put his neck on the block on many occasions to improve the association. If you want to get to know him and his intellect, just read his annual reports. Fascinating reading, excellently written, detailed, very professional, with searing insights and  full of ideas. He will be sorely missed. He could not be bought. He was his own man. He had no cronies. He wasn't interested in globe trotting, or big dinners etc. Compare him to the boy who holds the same job at the FAI.
My breakfast nearly came up reading that bullshit.