The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

lads i have been trying to get tickets for athens since the semi and like most no luck even though i have been lucky enough in the past to get tickets for european and fa cup matches in the past through work but on this occasion no joy so instead i and a few mates have booked flights to liverpool to soak up the atmoshpere and have a few drinks,any suggestions where the best place over there to watch the match?was there a big screen in concert square 2 years ago?

bingobus

No outdoor big screens anywhere in the city after trouble at the England world cup match screening. The Olympia have laid on the concert hall for a 1000 seater showing but I think its nearly sold out.

Concert square will have no outdoor seating on the night and will be shown in the pubs only that are aound the square. A lot of pubs are expected to close doors early due to capacity restrictions and are also expected to have a cover charge. So get in early. Concert square was scene of mad celebrations last time and that why they have cleared it this time to avoid the repeat of the damge caused to the furniture which was almost entirely wrecked.

corn02

Garcia can not feature, Macherano has his place and Luis is not registered.

stiffler

Found this on the liverpool echo website, im going over to liverpool myself for the game, might hit aldos place its a god spot.

City Big Screen ban for matchMay 15 2007

by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

PUBS and bars in Liverpool are gearing up for their biggest night of the year as they prepare to screen the Champions League final.

Thousands of people are expected to cram into the city centre on May 23 to recreate the famous Anfield atmosphere.

But all viewing will be indoors after outdoor screens were ruled out by city officials.

Violence erupted in Clayton Square last year at a World Cup game, while Reds fans caused £40,000 damage in Concert Square after the Istanbul win.

Police and Capital of Culture Company officials are anxious to avoid a repeat.

Clayton Square's TV will remain off and no other outdoor viewing points set up. Chairs, tables and canopies will be cleared from Concert Square .

Joe Curran, licensing co-ordinator for Liverpool Chamber of Commerce, said: "The risk of showing football on outdoor screens is far too high."

The 1,000-plus capacity Olympia, in West Derby Road, is hoping to create an Athens-style Kop. Fans are encouraged to bring their homemade banners.

Where the action is

The Newz Bar in Water Street has a capacity of 550, but its 30 private booths and upstairs floor have already sold out. The downstairs floor is open to all.

Aldo's Bar, Victoria Street, owned by former Reds striker John Aldridge, will link up to owner John Aldridge, co-commenting for Radio City.

The Sandon, in Oakfield Road, Anfield, will hold up to 1,000 punters for a Athens/Liverpool party with staff in traditional Greek costume.

Andersons in Exchange Street East is selling tickets for £30 for a free bar event while showing the football.

Pan American Club and Blue Bar, at the Albert Dock, are hosting Greek-styled menus before the game.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

isourboydownyet

thanks lads,i might give aldo's a go, was in there before.angels doent have a screen by any chance? :D

brokencrossbar1

ZENDEN FACING FINAL FITNESS FIGHT
Paul Eaton 18 May 2007 
  Bolo Zenden's dreams of figuring in the Champions League final could be shattered after he picked up an ankle injury in training this week. 
The Dutch midfielder was in contention for a starting place on the left side of the Reds' midfield, but manager Rafael Benitez has revealed it's now touch and go whether he'll be fit for the clash with AC Milan.

"Bolo injured his ankle in training yesterday," said Benitez today. "He's been treated by the doctor and the good news is the swelling is not that bad. We will need to see how it is after more checks today.

"It will be difficult to say he will be fit for the final now, but I wont say no yet.

"He is strong and determined and it may recover quickly. I still hope he will be okay.

"It will be a big disappointment for him and for us if it's not possible. Bolo can bring character, experience and tactical knowledge to the team.

"He is one of the good options for the left side, but now we must see how he recovers and decide what to do." 

It may mean Harry Kewell sarting but he could be no worse than the bold Bolo. 

full back

On hearing this news, William Hill has slashed the odds on Liverpool lifting the cup

stiffler

Even though i dont rate Bolo, I would rather see him start on the left hand side and then bring Kewell on for the last 30. Bolo has a half decent defensive side to his game, and his work rate is higher than Kewells.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Syd

Quote from: stiffler on May 18, 2007, 12:56:47 PM
Bolo has a half decent defensive side to his game, and his work rate is higher than Kewells.

Paris Hilton has a higher workrate than the boul Harry.....

Hound

Since when does playing half a game against an already relegated Charlton count for anything? Jeez lads some of yis have short memories. Harry has been mediocre to shíte throughout his Liverpool career. Still though probably a better option than the useless Bolo and the unproven Gonzalez. However, none of those mentioned should start on the left v Milan. It should be either Riise with Arbeloa behind him or Gerrard to accomadate a midfield of Pennant-Masch-Alonso-Gerrard. Kewell then can come on a sub - no chance Rafa will risk starting him.

brokencrossbar1

Hound I don't disagree with you there.  I just know how Rafa thinks and he is likely to play Kewell.  I would rather him than Zenden, but would more prefer Riise in front of Arbeloa if they play 4-4-2.

It really depends on how Rafa sees the game panning out.  He probably will feel that the likes of Pennant and Bellamy would be better coming off the bench for the last 20 to run at a tiring defence.  Bellamy on for Crouch and Pennant on for Riise with Gerard going wide on left. 

J70

Quote from: Hound on May 18, 2007, 01:29:31 PM
Since when does playing half a game against an already relegated Charlton count for anything? Jeez lads some of yis have short memories. Harry has been mediocre to shíte throughout his Liverpool career. Still though probably a better option than the useless Bolo and the unproven Gonzalez. However, none of those mentioned should start on the left v Milan. It should be either Riise with Arbeloa behind him or Gerrard to accomadate a midfield of Pennant-Masch-Alonso-Gerrard. Kewell then can come on a sub - no chance Rafa will risk starting him.

Kewell played well last season. True enough, he was poor or injured before that, but I think the consideration of him as a starting option is probably more to do with the paucity of any other decent left-side options than with any certainty that he will be able to play at the level he has shown in the past.

gawa316

What do yis reckon about Gonzales? He seems destined to leave this summer. All that shite over his visa and after a poor season he's away. Bit disappointing, I would give him one more season to try and find his feet. His pace alone is frightening

Hound

Quote from: gawa316 on May 18, 2007, 02:53:26 PM
What do yis reckon about Gonzales? He seems destined to leave this summer. All that shite over his visa and after a poor season he's away. Bit disappointing, I would give him one more season to try and find his feet. His pace alone is frightening
Dunno whether he's any good or not. But I do know its unreasonable to expect a South American who's been playing in La Liga to be an instant hit in his first season in English football. Imagine the success Arsenal would have thrown away had they got rid of Bergkamp, Henry and Pires after their first season - which was poor in all three cases.

J70, if you believe Kewell "played well" last season, then your standards are lower than mine. Only in tiny glimpses has he shown the form he had regularly with Leeds. But I recognise his talent, and would have no problem with him appearing as a sub in Athens.