Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: johnnycool on February 21, 2023, 03:26:46 PM
Sunak looks to be struggling to get the support for his new NI Protocol agreement with the EU. Some of his cabinet threatening to resign.

Are the UK Gov now becoming ungovernable?

Brexit slowly killing the Tories. Suppose there is a Brexit benefit after all.

Walter Cronc

Is this gonna fall apart again or will Sunak push it through against DUP/ERG wishes?

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on February 21, 2023, 03:26:46 PM
Sunak looks to be struggling to get the support for his new NI Protocol agreement with the EU. Some of his cabinet threatening to resign.

Are the UK Gov now becoming ungovernable?

I am starting to wonder are the wagons circling for him too. Johnson has started sticking his nose in too and when that happens you know it is never for the greater good.

When you form such a collective of cut throat narcissistic sociopaths then scenarios like this just recurring time after time  are inevitable.

trailer

Time Sunak the wimp manned up. Tell the DUP either to sign up and fall behind the deal or it is Joint Authority for NI and a Labour government next time out.
The Tories are most likely toast at the next election anyway. I see no way out of this mess for the DUP other than A) a spectacular climbdown (unlikely) or B) Stormont canned for a generation and the Unionist hand weaker than ever.

yellowcard

Donaldson was never a leader to begin with but he is even weaker than I could have imagined. He is only the puppet at the end of the strings being pulled by Allister, Bryson and the ERG.

Even though he is more pragnmatic than some Unionist politicians he is not strong enough to go with his own convictions so he was never going to sign up to a deal. Everything in the media is just being choreographed to try and frame another phantom bogeyman when they inevitably refuse to sign up or talks break down. The old unionist failing of overplaying their hand in aiming for a short term victory over a long term strategy. The alternative of not signing a deal will be much worse for them but the threat of being lundified looms large in their decision making.   

I had some hope for Sunak but he is displaying weakness as well in facing down the ERG and if he doesn't get this deal then he could be toast as well. The ERG are like vultures waiting to pounce using the DUP as useful bait in their political game of chicken.   

marty34

Seems that Sunak came over too early last week to sign off on the deal without the ECG etc. knowing what the plan was.

When they got wind of it, Mogg and Boris are getting involved big time now. Where will it end?

There'll be another internal scrap in the Tory party I think and another huge fall out.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on February 21, 2023, 05:21:00 PM
Seems that Sunak came over too early last week to sign off on the deal without the ECG etc. knowing what the plan was.

When they got wind of it, Mogg and Boris are getting involved big time now. Where will it end?

There'll be another internal scrap in the Tory party I think and another huge fall out.

All Sunak has to do is threaten to call a GE if he doesn't get support within his own party as current polls would suggest a sizeable amount of Tory MP's would be out on their ear and then tell wee Jeffrey to quieten down as a Border poll is plan B if the NI Protocol Bill doesn't pass.

I don't think he's the balls for it...

bennydorano

Talks at a crucial stage, everyone knows the last bits are the tough bits. Sunak was here last week to gauge opinion, return to the talks to try and get the DUP's red lines met. There's nothing more in the public domain since only gossip and blustering Tories. Hope the talks succeed as failure will cause another lost decade in the black North.

seafoid

The Tories have to have a reset with the EU. So it's probably down to goodies.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on February 21, 2023, 08:24:19 PM
The Tories have to have a reset with the EU. So it's probably down to goodies.

Sure they worked out an agreement themselves and now they're backtracking.

People would think the EU made this agreement up themselves with no input at all from the brits.

Wildweasel74

Can't understand why they just don't stop these tossers wages. Getting paid for nothing, I see some out doing work like Sorca Eastwood but she doing work. That to me are a councillors remit. If they doing local work, what's the need for so many councillors.

Orior

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2023, 04:45:49 PM
Time Sunak the wimp manned up. Tell the DUP either to sign up and fall behind the deal or it is Joint Authority for NI and a Labour government next time out.
The Tories are most likely toast at the next election anyway. I see no way out of this mess for the DUP other than A) a spectacular climbdown (unlikely) or B) Stormont canned for a generation and the Unionist hand weaker than ever.

Your two options are it in a nutshell. So we're in Zombie land for another 10 years.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on February 22, 2023, 01:57:40 PM

Your two options are it in a nutshell. So we're in Zombie land for another 10 years.
Stormont is a unionist citadel, I for one will cry no tears at its demise and replacement with a direct rule with Irish government input. I was happy to accept it when it looked like unionists were committed to power sharing. But unionist politicians have no generosity, no desire to treat nationalists with respect and want only to govern as top dogs.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 22, 2023, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 22, 2023, 01:57:40 PM

Stormont is a unionist citadel, I for one will cry no tears at its demise and replacement with a direct rule with Irish government input. I was happy to accept it when it looked like unionists were committed to power sharing. But unionist politicians have no generosity, no desire to treat nationalists with respect and want only to govern as top dogs.

Same here. Be happy enough to see Stormont banished to the doldrums forever!

Eire90

They should just keep reducing wages every week till its zero