Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

A no deal Brexit scares the shit out of me but on the other hand I will be extremely disappointed if the EU capitulate to this rag tag Government and reopen negotiations on a trade deal. It's a feckin head wrecker!
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 30, 2019, 12:00:13 AM
A no deal Brexit scares the shit out of me but on the other hand I will be extremely disappointed if the EU capitulate to this rag tag Government and reopen negotiations on a trade deal. It's a feckin head wrecker!

Won't happen. Boris sits tough though and gets a good majority in general election. If he campaigns on a hard Brexit he will mop up and take the Farage Falange out of it.  Doesn't need DUP anymore. He will have a mandate for 4 years, put the backstop in Irish Sea, and carry on. In 4 years time, things will have changed and focus will be elsewhere and he will probably get a second term as PM. In fact he could be Churchillian before he finishes. Corbyn's Labour are not even in the ballpark.

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2019, 12:32:20 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 30, 2019, 12:00:13 AM

Won't happen. Boris sits tough though and gets a good majority in general election. If he campaigns on a hard Brexit he will mop up and take the Farage Falange out of it.  Doesn't need DUP anymore. He will have a mandate for 4 years, put the backstop in Irish Sea, and carry on. In 4 years time, things will have changed and focus will be elsewhere and he will probably get a second term as PM. In fact he could be Churchillian before he finishes. Corbyn's Labour are not even in the ballpark.

Are you suggesting there will be a general election before October 31st? I think you could be right, Boris would be mad not to call one. It's early enough before he makes any major c**k ups and Labour are a complete mess. But the point of my post is that as things stand, I find myself willing the EU to stick to their guns on not renegotiating the deal and forcing Boris into a no deal scenario  but at the same time thinking no deal would be an utter disaster that i wish to avoid at all costs. Head wrecked!
That was never a square ball!!

t_mac

Labour have only themselves to blame - Corbyn is unelectable and he is going nowhere for the foreseeable future.

t_mac

Campbell hits nail on head in his letter, full letter below.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/alastair-campbell-s-letter-to-jeremy-corbyn-1-6188152

My partner Fiona Millar resigned from the party a year ago, citing three main reasons - the failure to tackle anti-semitism; failure to lead on Brexit; and a lack of genuine forward-looking radicalism in policy development. I kept hoping against hope things might change. In all three areas, insufficient progress has been made to persuade me you understand what is required or, even if you did, that you have any intention of making the decisions needed to deliver it.

Meanwhile, I fear the country may already have decided that it does not intend to make you prime minister. The importance of being clear and honest about that has been underlined to me talking to senior politicians in Australia, where the Labor Party has recently lost an election it was almost universally expected to win against a failing, right-wing government. The data was there for all to see - Bill Shorten was not popular enough to win, the country had made up its mind. But the party failed to confront that truth, perhaps because Labor were polling well ahead of the government. Labour in the UK has no such excuse for denial. Both party standing and yours are nowhere near where they need to be, nor anywhere near where Bill Shorten's and Labor's were.

I do not blame you for Brexit, and the mess the UK is in. David Cameron and Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, Nigel Farage, and the UK media, they are all ahead of you in the queue on that one. Those who advocated Brexit are those most responsible for the almighty mess it is creating. But I do believe your half-hearted approach to the referendum campaign three years ago had a role in Leave winning. Your failure to provide consistent leadership on the issue since then has been a huge disappointment. Your failure to challenge the lies, crimes and misdemeanours of the Leave campaign; your pursuit of Labour versions of unicorns, such as a 'jobs first Brexit,'; your failure to master the detail sufficient to provide confidence to the public, or indeed to Europe, that you would be able to negotiate a better deal; your refusal, despite having become leader in large part by promising to listen to members, to do so on Brexit; your failure to mount the democratic case for the public having the right to say, given all we now know, whether they wish to proceed - these have all played into the hands of our opponents.

It is true that the party has shifted closer to a Final Say referendum with Remain on the ballot paper. It is also clear, however, that you have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position, and equally clear that you continue to try to face both ways on this. This is not leadership, but its abdication. Then to hear from people in your team that your spokesman believes Johnson getting a deal over the line will be 'good for us' defies belief as to what kind of thinking, if any, is going on. It is not as if we did not know Johnson was heading to Number 10. It is hard to ascertain that any strategy at all had been developed in advance to deal with his arrival. More mixed signals on Brexit, cries of austerity, calls for an election, orchestrated attacks on Jo Swinson and new ethnic minority members of the cabinet, none of this constitutes a plan. Indeed the personal attacks are almost certainly counter-productive; while the focus on an election, rather than the referendum that should be taking place to resolve Brexit, might go down in the 'careful what you wish for' category.

haranguerer

Its very hard to know what Boris' plan is. I'm hoping that hes thinking; commit to delivering brexit with NI only backstop, then call general election, so withdrawal of DUP support won't be a factor, and should keep brexiteers happy going into election.

t_mac

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2019, 10:43:41 AM
Its very hard to know what Boris' plan is. I'm hoping that hes thinking; commit to delivering brexit with NI only backstop, then call general election, so withdrawal of DUP support won't be a factor, and should keep brexiteers happy going into election.

Probably best one can hope for, during the May fiasco I was of the opinion Brexit may be stopped, this has changed big time - Corbyn needs to take a lot of responsibility for this -  and Brexit WILL happen, just down to what type of brexit.

GJL

This option could be very good for the north of Ireland.

imtommygunn

All his stuff regarding to north of england was interesting. I thought that looked like he was looking for votes so would be hopeful on the above but basically Boris would screw anyone he could to get ahead so to me it is just a question of who he screws.

Ronnie

What will the £ end up at this week?

screenexile

Quote from: Ronnie on July 30, 2019, 12:29:08 PM
What will the £ end up at this week?

I'm gonna say the floor is 1.05. . . maybe not this week but possibly early next week then it'll hang around that for a while.

Ronnie

I'm thinking the same

whitey

Murphy's law.

Family friend is selling a house in UK this week and moving back to ROI. Proceeds are being wired in Sterling to bank in UK on August 5th. Proceeds not needed immediately as this person is renting for a year while they figure out where they will buy. Apart from sitting it out and waiting for Sterling to rebound, does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

t_mac

Quote from: whitey on July 30, 2019, 02:02:26 PM
Murphy's law.

Family friend is selling a house in UK this week and moving back to ROI. Proceeds are being wired in Sterling to bank in UK on August 5th. Proceeds not needed immediately as this person is renting for a year while they figure out where they will buy. Apart from sitting it out and waiting for Sterling to rebound, does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Be a long sit - could be 1 to 1 or less if no-deal brexit happens.

GJL

Quote from: t_mac on July 30, 2019, 02:03:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 30, 2019, 02:02:26 PM
Murphy's law.

Be a long sit - could be 1 to 1 or less if no-deal brexit happens.

A lot can happen in a year. I think a deal will be done of some sort in that period and the £ will recover.