Tourist advice please!

Started by Puckoon, May 09, 2013, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Folks,
I have a friend who is flying into Ireland in a couple weeks, and taking in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Belfast. They have a big interest in Irish politics particularly the early 20th Century.

Can I get some advice for them on things to check out in Cork and Galway specifically from the board?

Cheers,
Puck.

P.S. I'll be directing them to this thread so let's keep Olly in his box O'Neill?!

trileacman

As a starting point around Cork, Kilmichael and Beal na blath.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Michael Collins Centre, Clonakilty. Also the Collins homestead/birthplace at Sam's Cross, just West of Clonakilty.

Crossbarry, scene of the biggest engagement (I think) of 1919-21.

Franko

Kilmainham Jail would be an absolute must.

BennyCake

Quote from: Franko on May 09, 2013, 11:34:04 PM

Good call, Franko.

Puckoon

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

Quote from: Franko on May 09, 2013, 11:34:04 PM

This was the only one I was able to offer up on the spot! :)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Doolough Famine Tragedy, Mayo: wikipedia entry

Battle of Aughrim, Galway, 1691 (of far greater significance historically than the Boyne): wikipedia entry

The Treaty of Limerick (and Treaty Stone): wikipedia entry

Edit

And not forgetting, the Siege of Kinsale: wikipedia entry
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

In Dublin, Glasnevin Cemetery (wiki) and Arbour Hill (info) would both be worth a visit too (in addition to Kilmainham and the GPO, Boland's Mills, etc.).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Canalman

The Lemass grave on the Strawberry Beds near Tallaght might be worth a visit if they are interested in that type of thing.............. can catch the German war cemetery in Glencree nearby as well and is on the wayish to Glendalough.

AZOffaly

If they are coming up from Cork to Galway (or vice versa) they could do worse than stop off in Limerick for the Treaty Stone, John's Castle, Sarsfield Bridge etc, a bit earlier than the period you are talking about though. They could always go on the Angela's Ashes tour as well :)

Denn Forever

If they are interested in Politics, how about why they are in the states?  Visit the Ulster American Folk Park?

Omagh unfortunately the scene of more recent history.

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Ulster-American-Folk-Park-Omagh-P8406
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

This may not be a recent political historical spot, but if they are driving from Dublin to cork, a great place to stop off and see is the old ruins of the 'rock of cashel' - they could get a cup of tea and break up the journey as its approx halfway.
I love it and if its a bright sunny day it is spectacular , as are the long distance views of the surrounding countryside from the height it is built on.

screenexile

It can be a bit pricey but if you're going to see Belfast a Black Taxi tour is the way to do it. I did one about 10 years ago and they know all the ins and outs and all the stories about the different areas.

After that you probably should do the Titanic Museum. I haven't been myself but anyone I've spoken to has told me it's a great job.

Puckoon