Plastic bag levy coming in 2013

Started by Puckoon, January 30, 2012, 03:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16787121

A positive move from an environmental standpoint - will certainly take some getting used to and preparation (I still forget the re-usable bags most of the time) - but fair play for bringing it in.

Tax on plastic bags introduced in April 2013

Single use plastic bags will cost five pence Continue reading the main story
Environment Minister Alex Attwood said the levy, which applies to single use bags, will rise to 10 pence in April 2014.

It is the first time a plastic bag levy has been introduced in Northern Ireland.

Mr Attwood also said there would be no charge for multi-use bags in 2013 - but they will cost 10 pence a year later.

"We want to demonstrate that the Northern Ireland government is dedicated to the clean and green agenda," he said.

"One way to do that is to reduce the 160 million plastic bags that are used in Northern Ireland every year."

He added: "There is no doubt that carrier bags are a scourge on the environment.

"Evidence from other countries demonstrates that a bag levy is a simple and effective means to reduce substantially the negative environmental impact of carrier bag consumption.

"However, I recognise that consumers will need time to change their behaviour and adjust to bringing their own bags when they shop. I therefore propose to discount the charge to five pence in the first year.

"This will ensure a phased approach to charging."

Mr Attwood said the scheme would be extended to includelower value reusable bags in April 2014.

The minister said 10 civil service jobs would be relocated to Londonderry to administer the levy.

However, an organisation which represents some retailers warned that introducing such a tax on plastic bags could be harmful for some businesses in Northern Ireland.

Glynn Roberts of the Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association (NIIRTA) said: "We are concerned that this is a tax on hard-pressed working families and will add to the burden of red tape particularly for small shops who will become tax collectors for this new scheme.

"It's unclear if it is intended to discourage plastic bag use or if it is a revenue raiser. It has to do one or the other - it can't do both."

A charge for plastic bags was first introduced in the Irish Republic in 2002 - it is currently 22 cents per bag.

Authorities there estimate that, following the introduction of the charge, consumption of plastic bags fell by 90% from initial consumption on 1.2 billion bags per year or around 328 per person.

The charge has also raised over 173 million euros for the exchequer in the Republic.

Mr Attwood said the charge had worked "extremely well" in the Republic.

He said the measure would raise up to £4m a year in Northern Ireland, which would be used for environmental causes.

Wales also introduced a similar plastic bag tax in October 2011.

More than 200 million bags are currently used in Northern Ireland every year.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

How long have we had this now? 2 or 3 years?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2012, 04:06:46 PM

Time flies AZ: 4th March 2002!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

Jaysus. 10 years. I actually remember I was up for a few weeks in Dublin, working in ACCBank, when this came in. Couldn't believe I'd to pay money for a plastic bag in Londis, but in hindsight it was a very good idea.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2012, 04:06:46 PM

Yes - ten years. It's made a huge difference to the look of the countryside by comparison with the days when the hedges and trees were festooned with Dunnes and Tesco bags. You just see the occasional one now, blown in on the wind from the North.

Milltown Row2

M&S have been charging for years!! 5 pence per bag, cost me ten pence yesterday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Shamrock Shore

Twas a great idea levying those hateful hooring plastic bags. The only downside is that I have approx 6,472 Superquinn/Marks reusable bags in the boot of the car.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2012, 04:27:22 PM

People aren't really going to think about paying 5p a bag, should have upped it to 20 or 30p a bag, then those ones who take a bag for almost every item of shopping would think again.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ballinaman

Must make a spin up to Sainsburys in Newry to stock up so........

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: johnneycool on January 30, 2012, 04:34:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2012, 04:27:22 PM

People aren't really going to think about paying 5p a bag, should have upped it to 20 or 30p a bag, then those ones who take a bag for almost every item of shopping would think again.
Sure ye Nordies, along with being dirty footballers, are tight hoors, wouldn't spend Christmas, 5p will probably cut out all the plastic bags
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2012, 04:37:04 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2012, 04:35:52 PM
Waahay, I'm famous.

Was this your idea?

It wasn't my idea, but I was involved in the backgound work that put it in place.  You can thank me that we don't have a chewing-gum tax, a tax on fast-food packaging and a tax on ATM-receipts.  Don't mention it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...