Money gone missing in Limerick Club

Started by brokencrossbar1, May 30, 2008, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

QuoteFrom http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-probe__-8364100000-hole-in-gaa-fund-1391907.html

Friday May 30 2008

GARDAI are investigating the alleged misappropriation of €100,000 from a rural GAA club.

The money has gone missing from the accounts of Blackrock GAA club in south Limerick, which is now left with a debt of €50,000.

It was only discovered recently by club officials that the large figure could not be accounted for and gardai were contacted. Blackrock GAA club was founded in 1972 and is comprised of members from the county parishes of Kilfinane and Ardpatrick.

The missing €100,000 was to be used for new club facilities including a second field, covered stand and dugouts.

Last month, gardai in Waterford were called in to investigate the alleged misappropriation of €142,000 from the Waterford GAA county board.

A senior official in the county resigned his position following an internal GAA investigation, after money was found to be missing from ticket sales from last year's All-Ireland senior hurling championship campaign.

It is understood that gardai in Limerick are focusing their investigation on a former Blackrock club member who is no longer an active member of the GAA. A spokesperson for the club said they were not making any comment on the matter at this time.

According to one source, because of the alleged misappropriation, Blackrock have been forced to embark on an extra fund-raising drive and feel the necessity to explain their need for revenue to their supporters and members.

The club explanation came by way of a letter circulated throughout Kilfinane and Ardpatrick as the club attempts to collect more funds to stave off the crippling debt.

"At a recent club meeting, having explored other avenues and after much discussion, it was decided reluctantly to approach club members, players, supporters and parishioners to seek your help," the letter read. "The club has launched a fund raising drive in a bid to bolster its financial reserves".

"As you may be aware, Blackrock GAA club has run into serious financial difficulties, which could not be deemed to be of its own making. ... financial irregularities within the club have left the club €50,000 in debt," the letter continued.

The profit from their weekly lotto is now needed to service an overdraft, while contributions from the Limerick Development Draw goes directly to their Bord na nOg to help run the juvenile club.

After the situation is Waterford, this is another serious blow to the Association.  This is worrying and I would wonder is it happening elsewhere?  For a small rural club to be stung this badly will really do damage which will be seen for a number of years unless the have a generous benefactor to help them out.

I do not have any involvement in the Commitee side of things but surely there has to be some way of detecting this?

ExiledGael

Peter Quinn has spoken a lot in the last few years of his worry for local amateurs across the country now in charge of absolutely huge sums of money. There are some things within the Association that the GAA simply cannot afford to be amateurish about.

heffo

There are clearly a lot of clubs with very 'amateurish' structures in place in terms of money controls.

I was in Waterford two years ago thew week before the Cork v Waterford game and they were selling tickets out of a rented shop - one codger with a biscuit tin selling thousands of tickets.

If ever I run an event in my club, I always have two or three people count the money off with me, we all sign for the total - money dropped to Tresurer and you get a receipt.

bingobus

Very serious issue and needs addressed. At our club we would have a monthly finance report from our tresurer. Before the AGM his accounts are Audited (Low level - agree cheques to invoices, expense etc, verify income is lodged etc). I have audited them the last few years but it isn't ideal as I would sit on the committee.

I really think its time that some sort of report requirement was imposed by Croke park at club and county level. Most clubs would have a contact with an accountant and they could provide it no cost or very little. I have done work for another local club and we haven't charged them, as we would have other work from their members.

Peter Quinn is top notch on this field and should be listened too. Alot of clubs would have a turnover as high as many small businesses.

zoyler

Have to agree that its time a defined structure for financial reporting was put in place.  It does not have to be costly - just transparent - and is required as a protection not just for the clubs money but also for the reputations of those involved running the club.

Years ago I was involved in fund raising in another charitable area all togeather where we were stung by a person who was completely trusted by the rest - it taught me a great lesson and I have never allowed anything like it to happen again by insisting on aalways having at least two people jointly resposible and never giving one person the opportunity to be tempted bysole control; of any funds.

clarshack

there are people who you wonder about - how do they do it as regarding their lifestyles. maybe this sort of thing is more rife than people think?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Scary all right, though as long as the baby isn't ditched with the bath water, and we do need to tighten up in areas (not geographically - financially).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Far too much responsibility with far too big of a temptation for any man. Even the saints fall 7 times a day.

A complete overhaul of the monetary protocols of the GAA is needed, too many examples of misapropriation and endagerment of the lives of officials left in charge of these huge sums.

orangeman

Quote from: Puckoon on May 31, 2008, 12:16:35 AM
Far too much responsibility with far too big of a temptation for any man. Even the saints fall 7 times a day.

A complete overhaul of the monetary protocols of the GAA is needed, too many examples of misapropriation and endagerment of the lives of officials left in charge of these huge sums.

Who do they bank with ?

DUBSFORSAM1

What strikes me as most baffling is why people tend not to use their brain and look at the bank statement and then the bank reconciliation. There is to much emphasis on accounts and profit/losses  but in the case of the GAA everyone knows it is cash that is king and any review of bank statements would show problems like this up in no-time.