11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 10:01:57 AM
Pat Holmes has ruled himself out according to the Mayo news. hasnt the time apparently.
one horse race so, although our chairman has said it'll be the same process as the last time, which was:
subcommitee setup, was leaning towards Tommy Lyons as our chairman thought he was the man, lots of banging on tables and eventually Horan was reluctantly given the job.
Yes, indeed, it'll be John Maughan with Mickey Moran as water carrier, all our 00 nightmares rolled into one.
Well that's good news of a sort anyway.
No personal offence to the man but I'd sooner see St. Patrick getting the gig than him.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Msgr. Horan

Sure he couldnt possibly take offence from that :)

Why do you say that though? I know little about the man personally, but his record is good.
4 U-21 Connacht Titles
1 U-21 All Ireland Title
1 Senior NFL Title
1 Senior Club Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners up

1 think K Mac is:
1 Senior Club All Ireland (plus 1 Senior Club Connacht Title)
1 U-21 Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners Up

Based on CVs Holmes appears the more impressive, but its immaterial now, just wondering why he is not rated

bucko

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 03, 2014, 12:33:47 PM
Sure he couldnt possibly take offence from that :)

Why do you say that though? I know little about the man personally, but his record is good.
4 U-21 Connacht Titles
1 U-21 All Ireland Title
1 Senior NFL Title
1 Senior Club Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners up

1 think K Mac is:
1 Senior Club All Ireland (plus 1 Senior Club Connacht Title)
1 U-21 Connacht Title, All Ireland Runners Up

Based on CVs Holmes appears the more impressive, but its immaterial now, just wondering why he is not rated
Solely to do with his spell in charge of the seniors unfortunately. That period covered three Connacht championships with no silverware, a first round exit to Sligo in the 2000 Connacht C'ship (no qualifiers then) and a first round qualifier exit to Westmeath in 01 (I think). His best C'ship record was 02 when they got to the all Ireland quarter final v Cork and lost, to my memory the most boring game of football I'd ever watched. While he won the league in 01, that league campaign was tainted due to Tyrone having to withdraw due to the foot and mouth crisis when they were strong favourites to win the league. Unfortunately for Pat, he took the job having little management experience and throughout that period, other than the league, achieved very little despite having, on paper anyway a pretty good squad (Burke, Cahill, the 2 Connellys, Nallen, Ruane, Brady, Colm Mc, Ciaran Mc, the 2 Mortimers etc). That run is probably why not too many people want to see him back, despite what he's achieved since.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Will David Brady get a gig with the lads, water man or kit lad ?

Chimley

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 03, 2014, 04:26:16 PM

He'll be in charge of the microphones.

larryin89

Quote from: Chimley on September 03, 2014, 04:54:04 PM

I'd put him full back if it were up to me.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

bucko

Quote from: Chimley on September 03, 2014, 04:54:04 PM

He wouldn't need microphones to be heard.

muppet

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 02, 2014, 10:45:00 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 02, 2014, 09:31:19 AM
Nice piece of writing from Kieran Shannon..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/kieran-shannon-farewell-james-but-your-mayo-marvels-will-finish-the-job-284511.html

Nice one Dinny. I really hope we don't mess up the appointment of Horan's replacement. In fairness to James he put the structures in place now for the next man and there is no need to go into his tactical limitations as what he achieved far outweighs the mistakes he made in the big days.

I have heard the loose talk on some other sites about getting a big outside name like Jack O'Connor but I think that would be a disaster for us and Jack or any other big name outside manager. Anyway the only outside man I would really want would be Tony McEntee but the piece above spells out why this unfortunately can't happen at the moment.

I suppose the old reliables of Maughan , Tommy Lyons and Antony McGarry will be in the contest but have had their shot so please no!!!!

Pat Holmes would have a good case but I think he would be too similar to Horan and in my eyes shares the exact same weaknesses and strengths so it would be a case of different person same message which won't work at this stage.

I think Kevin McStay is the front runner with Noel Connelly his main challenger. Enda Gillvary will be wanted by some but I would prefer to let him stay another year with the minors then maybe progress to the U21's for a few years before pushing him into the top job. Maybe someone like Mickey Moyles or Dennis Kearney should be considered as they have solid cv's at this stage while not being celeb names and maybe Peter Forde has something to offer along with being very experienced although not many County Board men would want him after his perceived betrayal of them as captain in 1992!!

Let's just get the right man to move us on a bit while bringing a bit of a more tactical slant to how we set up (defensively and offensively) and not some hero to drive us up the summit. We have the talent to bring through and a solid base to work off so let's hold our nerve and get this right.

I would agree with this with one caveat.

If a group of senior players, representing the players, approached the county board with an agreed target in mind, who is willing, then I think it should be considered.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Syferus

larryin89

Conelley would be my preferred choic of the candidates so far. He would know these bucks inside out, he would know who was able for the step up with his work with the development squads too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

maigheo

would love if Connelly got the job but I am not to sure he will put his name forward.

Tubberman

Quote from: Chimley on September 03, 2014, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2014, 10:07:42 PM
http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2014/09/03/4032333-connelly-front-runner-for-mayo-job/

Ummm

That's what we're up against. How do these clowns on the county board ever get elected.

What's the problem with Connelly? He was joint manager of the u21s in 2006 and I always thought that all-Ireland was more to do with Connelly than Holmes. I think he could be a good appointment. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."