The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

I liked to have known that the two boys were on the clock. It would certainly account for a lot of the poor shots on 16 that Paddy made.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

magickingdom

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 10, 2009, 11:39:11 AM
I liked to have known that the two boys were on the clock. It would certainly account for a lot of the poor shots on 16 that Paddy made.

when was the last time anyone was penalised for time? never happens - no way were they on the clock. even if there was a clock the pga would never do that to tiger, their afraid of him. they might tell them their on the clock but they wont give penalty strokes

Aaron Boone

Dillard Pruitt at the 1982 Byron Nelson Classic.

Aaron Boone

magickingdom

27 years! i rest my case, tho i accept i was wrong when i said they weren't on the clock. i'm amazed they did that. the pga wont ever again penalise for slow play tho with the likes of ben crane they'll be pushed to the limit. when the us open brought in 2 starts (1st and 10th tee) traditionalists said it wasn't golf but they still did it because the alternative was to penalise slow play with shots and they weren't going down that road

Capt Pat

What a crock of shit. I thought slow play was where players were taking too long on individual shots not where they collectively are taking more shots and falling behind slowing up players behind them. I thought that as they were leading the tournament they wern't holding up anyone or anything and that this type of rule should not be applied in this type of situtaion.

Does anyone else have this opinion?

Hound

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 10, 2009, 11:35:26 PM
What a crock of shit. I thought slow play was where players were taking too long on individual shots not where they collectively are taking more shots and falling behind slowing up players behind them. I thought that as they were leading the tournament they wern't holding up anyone or anything and that this type of rule should not be applied in this type of situtaion.

It is hard to believe that they would take such a stance on the last group on final day alright. I wonder did US TV put pressure on the USPGA to do something as they were running to the edge of their slot. I know Sky Sports had to extend their coverage for 15 minutes, but that was no big deal for them at 11pm at night.

Having said that, rules are rules and there are rules regarding slow play. Top players should not be exempt. I think the players would get a warning before they were "on the clock". Harrington is a slow player and is used to receiving such warnings and is no stranger to being "on the clock". Harrington never complained about the decision or used it as an excuse. This was just Tiger giving a reason as to what might have gone wrong and might explain why, in his opinion, Harrington played the wrong type of shot for his 4th.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: magickingdom on August 10, 2009, 09:23:16 PM
27 years! i rest my case, tho i accept i was wrong when i said they weren't on the clock. i'm amazed they did that. the pga wont ever again penalise for slow play tho with the likes of ben crane they'll be pushed to the limit. when the us open brought in 2 starts (1st and 10th tee) traditionalists said it wasn't golf but they still did it because the alternative was to penalise slow play with shots and they weren't going down that road

Of course there are very few instances of penalty shots the players hurry up (as did Paddy on Sunday, he is a slow player by his own admition)

The clock rules as I understand it were brought by request of the players themselves.

Woods to be fined by PGA Tour
By DOUG FERGUSON
Associated Press

CHASKA, Minn. – Tiger Woods will be fined by the PGA Tour for his public criticism of a rules official after winning the Bridgestone Invitational, a tour official said Monday.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

magickingdom

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 11, 2009, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 10, 2009, 09:23:16 PM

Of course there are very few instances of penalty shots the players hurry up (as did Paddy on Sunday, he is a slow player by his own admition)

The clock rules as I understand it were brought by request of the players themselves.

Woods to be fined by PGA Tour
By DOUG FERGUSON
Associated Press

CHASKA, Minn. – Tiger Woods will be fined by the PGA Tour for his public criticism of a rules official after winning the Bridgestone Invitational, a tour official said Monday.

i read that somewhere as well today gerry, 5k fine plus penalty shots in theory - it'll never come to that tho. tiger is one of the biggest offenders when the pga are giving out fines, mainly for..... saying bold words when he mis-hits :D

muppet

Quote from: Hound on August 11, 2009, 09:31:06 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 10, 2009, 11:35:26 PM

It is hard to believe that they would take such a stance on the last group on final day alright. I wonder did US TV put pressure on the USPGA to do something as they were running to the edge of their slot. I know Sky Sports had to extend their coverage for 15 minutes, but that was no big deal for them at 11pm at night.

Having said that, rules are rules and there are rules regarding slow play. Top players should not be exempt. I think the players would get a warning before they were "on the clock". Harrington is a slow player and is used to receiving such warnings and is no stranger to being "on the clock". Harrington never complained about the decision or used it as an excuse. This was just Tiger giving a reason as to what might have gone wrong and might explain why, in his opinion, Harrington played the wrong type of shot for his 4th.

He used to be considered a slow player but changed his routine about 3 years ago and it no longer applies, Tiger has commented on this in the past.
MWWSI 2017

Bainisteoir

Have been playing golf in bits and pieces for a few years but never play for a sustained length of time to improve. My clubs are very basic and as I've been playing alot recently I wouldn't mind investing in a new set at a max cost of say £500.. Anyone have any suggestions? Also what courses around the north of Ireland would people recommend to play? I'm off work for 2 weeks and wouldn't mind trying a few different courses.

ONeill

I see Harrington and Woods are paired for the opening rounds of the USPGA this week.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Bainisteoir on August 12, 2009, 12:59:20 AM
Have been playing golf in bits and pieces for a few years but never play for a sustained length of time to improve. My clubs are very basic and as I've been playing alot recently I wouldn't mind investing in a new set at a max cost of say £500.. Anyone have any suggestions? Also what courses around the north of Ireland would people recommend to play? I'm off work for 2 weeks and wouldn't mind trying a few different courses.

You'd get awesome clubs for that these days. Wait till the winter.
MWWSI 2017

Bainisteoir

Anywhere online were the USPGA can be watched for free?

norabeag

Quote from: Bainisteoir on August 12, 2009, 12:59:20 AM

Depends which part you are coming to.
If in Down you cannot go far wrong with Warrenpoint, Kilkeel, Royal Co Down( Newcastle) , Ardglass, Downpatrick, then on the Ards you have a couple round the Bangor Area.
Belfast you have Knock, Royal Belfast, Balmoral, Dunmurry, Cliftonville etc.
Spoilt for choice.
If coming up from Dublin way to Newry, Greenore in Louth is fantastic with great grub as well.