TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2019, 09:13:12 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 06, 2019, 09:54:58 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 06, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 06, 2019, 02:31:52 PM
Slightly disappointed in the ending to Dublin Murders.  I have to assume with that ending that there will be another series?

This is a six-part book series written by Tana French - the first tv series was an adaptation of the first two books.  The next book features, mainly, Mackey (played by Nidge), while the rest of the books feature detectives that didn't feature at all in books 1 & 2.  Mackey's daughter features heavily in book 5, when she's a teenager.  The book series is highly recommended - I have enjoyed the adaptation also, but would have to say that it (nor the books) wouldn't be recommended for those who like things to finish neatly.
I'd have the complete opposite opinion Billy, I thought the book (audio) was shíte but possibly that was because of the reader.
I only got half way through, pure agony. It's a story involving random individuals none of whom are recognisable to me as being remotely Dublinish. It's as if the author has written a book set in Dublin, but has never set foot in Dublin.
The tv drama is a mess from start to finish.

Can't be having audio-books at all - I don't think they work, for me anyway.  I think the books are very slow burners alright, but I wouldn't agree about the characters - she does set out however, to make them as unlikable as the 'baddies', for some reason.  Apart from Mackey. none of them are Dubs; they're all culchie cops, which is as it is in Dublin (or was until recently, anyway).  I think Dublin is always portrayed as the person's 'own' Dublin, and quite unrecognisable from our own personal Dublins, but I catch your drift.  TV drama is TV drama - apart from some notable exceptions, it never really captures the written word.
In Dublin Murders the screenplay was poor as was  the direction , the characters empty of character, the acting was directed to be base level emotional - absent of nuance, the plot convoluted and not very captivating, one is left with a thread of a whodoneit and unresolved at that.

Compare that effort to say another Dublin based drama, Quirke,  which excels in all departments, photography, screeenplay, direction, atmosphere, each scene was magically created almost as good as Atonement, the casting was perfect the acting top notch,  topped off with a Gabriel Byrne performance at his best.  It didn't matter in the end who done what or why in Quirke.

screenexile

Bit harsh trying to compare Killian Scott to Gabriel Byrne!!!

WT4E

Top Boy - whose seen it

Gotta get that food to make those peas innnit. Ye get me fam!

Im about 4 episodes into season 3 and really enjoying it!

gerrykeegan

Quote from: WT4E on November 12, 2019, 09:04:06 PM
Top Boy - whose seen it

Gotta get that food to make those peas innnit. Ye get me fam!

Im about 4 episodes into season 3 and really enjoying it!
Yes we think it's very good. Hard to understand. I assume no one watches it without the subtitles.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

clarshack

The Mandalorian episode 1 was surprisingly good.

dec

Quote from: clarshack on November 12, 2019, 10:22:20 PM

Are you in the US? I thought Disney+ hadn't launched in UK/Ireland yet?

I will probably wait a bit before signing up though the kids might want it sooner.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 09, 2019, 10:57:18 AM
The Young Offenders on BBC3/Iplayer is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time.
Set in Cork its about 2 wee scumbags who aren't as bad as they seem to be.
Very very funny.

After watching White Gold and Inbetweeners, my firestick recommended Young Offenders - funny show. You don't know if you want to smack them idiots or give them a hug, looking forward to the next season. Make sure you catch the movie, the tv show is based off the movie.

Barry on HBO is also excellent.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2019, 04:32:47 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2019, 09:13:12 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 06, 2019, 09:54:58 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 06, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 06, 2019, 02:31:52 PM
Slightly disappointed in the ending to Dublin Murders.  I have to assume with that ending that there will be another series?

This is a six-part book series written by Tana French - the first tv series was an adaptation of the first two books.  The next book features, mainly, Mackey (played by Nidge), while the rest of the books feature detectives that didn't feature at all in books 1 & 2.  Mackey's daughter features heavily in book 5, when she's a teenager.  The book series is highly recommended - I have enjoyed the adaptation also, but would have to say that it (nor the books) wouldn't be recommended for those who like things to finish neatly.
I'd have the complete opposite opinion Billy, I thought the book (audio) was shíte but possibly that was because of the reader.
I only got half way through, pure agony. It's a story involving random individuals none of whom are recognisable to me as being remotely Dublinish. It's as if the author has written a book set in Dublin, but has never set foot in Dublin.
The tv drama is a mess from start to finish.

Can't be having audio-books at all - I don't think they work, for me anyway.  I think the books are very slow burners alright, but I wouldn't agree about the characters - she does set out however, to make them as unlikable as the 'baddies', for some reason.  Apart from Mackey. none of them are Dubs; they're all culchie cops, which is as it is in Dublin (or was until recently, anyway).  I think Dublin is always portrayed as the person's 'own' Dublin, and quite unrecognisable from our own personal Dublins, but I catch your drift.  TV drama is TV drama - apart from some notable exceptions, it never really captures the written word.
In Dublin Murders the screenplay was poor as was  the direction , the characters empty of character, the acting was directed to be base level emotional - absent of nuance, the plot convoluted and not very captivating, one is left with a thread of a whodoneit and unresolved at that.

Compare that effort to say another Dublin based drama, Quirke,  which excels in all departments, photography, screeenplay, direction, atmosphere, each scene was magically created almost as good as Atonement, the casting was perfect the acting top notch,  topped off with a Gabriel Byrne performance at his best.  It didn't matter in the end who done what or why in Quirke.

Quirke is set in the 1950s, so it is essentially a period drama, depicting a time and place of which we really have no experience.  Dublin Murders is a modern drama, depicting the time and place in which we live.  Apples and Oranges - Quirke, great as it is, doesn't have to be great to win our admiration, in fairness. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Taylor

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 13, 2019, 04:34:19 AM
The Young Offenders on BBC3/Iplayer is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time.
Very very funny.

After watching White Gold and Inbetweeners, my firestick recommended Young Offenders - funny show. You don't know if you want to smack them idiots or give them a hug, looking forward to the next season. Make sure you catch the movie, the tv show is based off the movie.

Might be in the minority but I thought the second series of Young Offenders was terrible.

Certainly inferior to the first IMHO

mrdeeds

Watched Tell me who I am on Netflix. A tough watch but an unbelievable story.

oakleaflad

Agreed, very good.

Kathleen Kennedy has made some mistakes since becoming top dog at Lucasfilm but pairing Dave Filoni with Jon Favreau may have been her best move yet.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Taylor on November 13, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 13, 2019, 04:34:19 AM
Very very funny.

Might be in the minority but I thought the second series of Young Offenders was terrible.

Certainly inferior to the first IMHO

The movie was good the tv series not so great

lurganblue

Just started watching The Devil Next Door on Netflix.  I'm only at the beginning but it has the potential to be another cracking Netflix Docu-series!  The story of the trial of an accused Nazi concentration camp worker living in the US. "Ivan the Terrible"

clarshack

Quote from: dec on November 12, 2019, 10:56:23 PM

I will probably wait a bit before signing up though the kids might want it sooner.

No not in US.  There are ways around that.

dec

Quote from: clarshack on November 13, 2019, 01:39:49 PM
Quote from: dec on November 12, 2019, 10:56:23 PM

No not in US.  There are ways around that.

:)