2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

County Man

Best of luck to the hurlers today against Wexford. Lets hope for a good, strong performance and a decent bit of support.

Thewildcat

pity about the goals but thats some scoring again wexford who are on the up the last few years,

Teo Lurley

Soft, slopy goals cost us. All of them were easily preventable, especially the one just after half time. The defence needs to tighten up, Healy was very good at full back. McDonald had to be moved off him. All the others were exposed at one time or another. We don't have the sweeper this year, it's helping us in attack but we need a lot of work at the other end.
Hyland had an excellent game, scored 5 or 6 I think from play. Cha scored a few nice poiints and Zane was dangerous when moved to full forward. Foyle was subbed early and I don't think he should have been, Fitzgerald didn't do much in his place. At times we played really well but there's too many simple errors in our game. It's going to be a play off against Antrim anyway. It's a nothing game against Limerick.

Unlaoised

some great point taking by the Laois players as good as you'll see anywhere in the country.

The goals were sloppy and cost us big time..

Money well spent as it was an enjoyable game even if we were on the end of a defeat!
LAOIS ABÚ

portlaoisekid

I was happy with the performance except for the goals obviously. I think the laois management will have learned a few important lessons from this match and in the long run I feel we will be better for this match. I would expect the Antrim match to be a tight affair and one we have to win.

redsetanta

The thing that impressed me most about Laois on Sunday was that they came back at Wexford after the goals, the last two aside. The goal straight after half time would have seen past Laois teams drop the heads but on Sunday the lads stayed battling and kept reeling Wexford in only to be undone with another goal. They kept close to Wexford until the 4th goal went in. Some of the Laois points were as good as you'll see. I thought Healy had a great game but the corner backs struggled. We had a number of attempts for scores blocked down when a bit of composure might have reaped some reward.
We need to threaten more in front of goal. We didn't have one attempt last Sunday and the Wexford goalkeeper had little to do. Unusally Zane had an off day from frees and wasn't firing in the first half at all. We missed MAtthew Whelan when he went off as he covered an amount of ball.
Again primary possession or lack of, from Laois was evident. Wexford caught alot more ball.

Alot to be positive about as we outscored Wexford for most of the game. It looks like Antrim have thrown in the towel when you look at their display against Waterford but it is still imperative we bring a similar performance to that game. I assume that game will be at a neutral venue? PArnell Park?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Re the Antrim game I hear it will be in Portlaoise.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Dave like the tv channel

We owe Antrim for last year anyway. That is a must-win game. Staying in Division1 is of paramount importance.

Unlaoised

Quote from: redsetanta on March 19, 2015, 10:17:02 AM
Re the Antrim game I hear it will be in Portlaoise.

Well it should be the same as last year as who ever you play in the playoff the venue is the reverse of the game in the league.....

Antrim beat us in Portlaoise last year!!!
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Antrim are alot poorer this year but we still shouldn't take them for granted. The system is a joke anyhow. Antrim could lose all their league games plus the relegation playoff and still stay up!

Unlaoised

Quote from: redsetanta on March 19, 2015, 12:51:41 PM
Antrim are alot poorer this year but we still shouldn't take them for granted. The system is a joke anyhow. Antrim could lose all their league games plus the relegation playoff and still stay up!

Just like the biffo's last year.....
LAOIS ABÚ

Thewildcat

Quote from: Unlaoised on March 19, 2015, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on March 19, 2015, 12:51:41 PM

Just like the biffo's last year.....
[/quote

offaly beat Antrim last year in the league and drew with limerick, its some kick in the arse for laois to be in a relgation play off this year after the work over the last two years,  Laois will  beat Antrim to stay up and i think Antrim will beat the winners of division 2 also to stay up, where Antrim will be dangerous will be in the round robin games in the championship thats what they will have their eye on not league play offs.

TheGreatGame

Limerick (NHL v Laois) - Aaron Murphy; Stephen Walsh, Richie McCarthy, Seanie O'Brien; Cathal King, Declan Hannon, Conor Allis; James Ryan, Paul Browne; David Reidy, David Breen, Donal O'Grady; Thomas O'Brien, Patrick Begley, Sean Tobin.

A fairly experimental Limerick team.  We're in the relegation mire no matter how Sunday goes so it might be a good match to give a few lads a rest before the Antrim game.  Certainly unless any of the lads that came off injured the last day are 100% I wouldn't be risking them.

Unlaoised

Yeah I hope Cheddar freshens it up on sunday !
LAOIS ABÚ

G@@

At this stage of the league I feel we should experiment with both the Limerick and Antrim games and put our efforts into beating Div II winners if it comes to it. I would much much rather beat Antrim in the LSHC than on March 29th.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!