2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatGame

It is important that we step it up big time from here on alright.  Going on current form we are the banana skin for Antrim, not vice versa, and they are at home so it will be that bit tougher.  Antrim are another team where Laois playing a sweeper tends to back fire, they drop their centre-back deep and he cleans up.  They have two outstanding hurlers in McManus and Shiels and we have to keep them from having their usual impact on the game.  Again, Shiels revels when given a bit of space so I hope we go 15 v 15 with Shiels man-marked throughout.  No way will Cheddar have the lads travelling up on match day so stiffness won't be an issue.

Team selection will be very interesting with James Walsh back available, just the man to help us win the breaking ball, an area we are falling down badly in.  Foyle is another that could start, while as far as I know Cha is available but Tom Delaney is not.  Discipline will be key, and we just can't afford any more red cards.  I haven't seen a dirty stroke from a Laois player in quite a while so it's not a case of cutting out dirt, it's a case of controlling aggression.

A big performance and Laois are well capable of getting a win, but on current form you'd have to give Antrim the nod by a few points.  Hope I'm wrong!

redsetanta

Fantastic win today. Great to see Purcell scoring a goal and Zane Keenan reliable from frees. He is very important to the team. Onwards to Wexford now with a bit more confidence.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Interesting to see that Cahir Healy got man of the match yesterday. Indo gave him a 9. Considering he was struggling somewhat it's great to see that maybe he's settling into the full back position. Cha Dwyer showing how important he is to the team contributing with 3 points from play.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Well done to the hurlers great victory up there ....Good professional preparation going up Saturday afternoon and a deserved victory
LAOIS ABÚ

Tobias

Huge confidence boost to the lads by winning yesterday. The Wexford game will be huge, the win yesterday sets us up nicely for it. A win and we have a chance of quarter final but more importantly we avoid relegation. A relegation final is still likely though as the bottom two play off, we could wel meet Antrim again in a relegation battle a couple of weeks before we play them in the championship. Let's hope yesterday kick starts our year...it could be a very good one yet!

Heshs Umpire

Big win yesterday. Was badly needed, first competitive win in yonks (excluding Walsh Cup). Be great if we can push on in the last two games.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

redsetanta

Healy in the 'Hoganstand' team of the week. Small bit of recognition for his performance on Sunday. Hopefully he grows into that position because it will be crucial to have a solid full back come championship.

portlaoisekid

The Wexford match on Sunday is going to be a real test of Laois, Wexford will of course see it as a soft enough win but I think we can expect more from Laois than we have shown so far . The Antrim win is huge for us and Sunday will give supporters a chance to come out in force and support the team.

As for the team itself Its good to see Cha taking his opportunity and settling in nicely, I still think Healy is wasted at full back and it just a pity Darren Maher hasnt committed. Healy around the middle of the field would be immense.

TheGreatGame

Any away win against Antrim is a good win and it gives us something to play for against Wexford which is important.  The lads will have that bit more confidence with a win under their belt so I think they'll have a right crack at Wexford.  Looking forward to it.

Unlaoised

Quote from: portlaoisekid on March 10, 2015, 01:56:13 PM
The Wexford match on Sunday is going to be a real test of Laois, Wexford will of course see it as a soft enough win but I think we can expect more from Laois than we have shown so far . The Antrim win is huge for us and Sunday will give supporters a chance to come out in force and support the team.

As for the team itself Its good to see Cha taking his opportunity and settling in nicely, I still think Healy is wasted at full back and it just a pity Darren Maher hasnt committed. Healy around the middle of the field would be immense.

PK no Point in looking at what hasn't committed I was Guilty of naming a few players in the Football page but Cheddar like TOF has to go with what he has got and I believe he has decent options in most positions hopefully that performance at full back can bring Cahir on a bit for me he hasn't really hurled that well for a few years now(a lot more comfortable at football just my opinion) but he is such an athlete and a great reader of the game he is an asset to any team.
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

It's a discussion board unlaoised not a cheerleaders forum so it can still be debated. I would concur with PK that Darren Maher would add strength to the team and panel however Cahir seems to be growing into the position.
I was in Nolan Park when we played the Dubs 3 or 4 years ago and Maher was great at full back that day. A very tenacious player and he would definately be an addition to the team.

The hurlers have a similar problem to the footballers in that there are alot more options in attack than defence. If we get any injuries or lads are out of sorts we would struggle. In saying that the hurlers have been generally injury free aside from Picky's break.

TheGreatGame

Wexford (HL Division 1B v Laois) - Niall Breen; Liam Ryan, Tomas Waters, Eoin Moore; Paudie Foley, Matthew O'Hanlon, Andrew Shore; David Redmond, Lee Chin; Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Daithi Waters, Ian Byrne; Liam Og McGovern, Conor McDonald, Harry Kehoe.

Very strong Wexford team named.  Harry Kehoe won't play corner forward, so you'd be guessing that Liam Dunne wants to isolate Liam Og and Conor Mac in the full forward line.  They tore Antrim to shreds last year in the championship by doing this so at least we are forewarned and I don't see us falling for it.

redsetanta

Certainly a game for Healy to stick with his man. Hopefully he can bring the performance from the Antrim game. Midfield will be a battle and we will need to see that hunger for possession again. This is what it's all about, Wexford at home in a important game. It would be great to see a big crowd out to support them.

Thewildcat

offaly beat Limerick tonight 1-21 to 0-21

TheGreatGame