Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Yesterday's minor final wasnt the greatest match but some good talent on show for the future.  Conditions must have been more difficult than they appeared as shooting from both teams was poor with st brigids in particular missing a number, particularly scorable free kicks.  That will be the thing that they will run.
Watched a couple of the so called controversial moments. Due to the angle & height of the brigids free kick,  how any commentators or supporters in the ground can confidently call that over??  Penalty looks like theatrics at first point of shoulder contact. Soccer reaction.

Sympathise with brendan in that it cant be easy commentating on your club and try to remain neutral but, for instance, shouting 'go on brigids' when they were on the attack sounded a bit like fan zone stuff 😀    if seamus had been from cargin it could have descended into farce lol

St brigids will be disappointed with the wide count, leaving themselves with a lot to do in the last 10 mins whereas cargin had managed to keep chipping away at scores despite a lot of handling errors.    3 years in finals should be seen as a huge positive for brigids  - hopefully they can get those lads into the senior ranks.  Cargin will be satisfied there are a few lads there who look ready for the next step and have gained the confidence that comes with winning championships

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2020, 12:25:18 AM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 19, 2020, 11:16:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2020, 11:06:16 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 19, 2020, 10:07:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2020, 02:23:00 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 19, 2020, 02:17:50 PM
The commentary in the minor game is so anti Cargin. Congratulations Cargin

Well maybe if you'd have stepped in and offered you're services then we'd have a unbiased commentary  ;)

Fair play to the lads and giving us the game.

On the game, so many poor decisions and bad handling.. some going at Cargin now

"Poor decisions" are you digging out one of your colleagues??

Eh?

Poor decisions by the players !!

I didn't mention the ref

Apologies MR2, I was asking the question not making an accusation.

On that point do you think St Brigids were denied a stonewall penalty?

I only watched last ten minutes of first half and the second half, I didn't see penalty incident.

I seen plenty of St Brigids missing good opportunities to equalise, very wasteful when composure was needed. Lost a minor final myself, never forget a minute of that match, 32 years ago.

Wasn't fishing just wanted your honest and unbiased opinion, i was there as a neutral may I add and I think the ref got the pen 100% right, was a really well timed shoulder, the St Brigids player possibly guilty of being loose in possession.

Have to say some of the Cargin supporters where a little less than kind to the officials, really seems when they get together pack mentality kicks in

bannside

Weekend feast of Antrim club football reaches it climax today. If anything the meeting of these two is the biggest yet for several reasons. Creggan have been knocking in the door for a good few years now with teams and managers that have c'ship winning expectations, but with no breakthrough. Should they fail to win today that heartache continues and winning the Antrim championship is going to get tougher in the coming years (as expected) teams start to level off. Cargin are the reigning champs, with all the pedigree and tradition. They love nothing better than keeping their closest rivals in the shade, with bragging rights in the parish secure for another year. Its what makes our association so great - the pride of the parish - and no other sport can get close to the emotions that run high.

Every final is important, but I am feeling that this is a particilarly important one for the two clubs involved today. O Kelly Park is looking absolutely stunning, I walked it yesterday, and the conditions will be perfect. May the best team win.

imtommygunn

Big win for Creggan in the reserves and cargin in the minor so both going for the double.

I still think cargin will have too much but it would be nice to see a different winner for a change.

Milltown Row2

Yeah Creggan beat us handy enough yesterday, we'd a man sent off early on and that was that.

The game descended into a farce, fights breaking out everywhere, embarrassing tbh..

Anyways on to today's game, obviously anything will be better that their last final meeting and I think it will (fingers crossed)

Cargin big favourites and having seen Cargin labour over a few games they are battle harden, they manage to always find a purple patch and register a goal and a few points, unanswered, this is the downfall for some teams, if Creggan can stem that period they have a chance. If not Cargin will see it out 2/3 points and do what we done for years, good game management for the last 10 minutes.

On the other hand Creggan have impressed me this year, the final of two years ago is gone and they've been building with a new manager (of sorts) so if they press Cargin higher up the pitch, put pressure on  the kick outs and take their opportunities they have a chance, should they defend the game and allow Cargin more possession then they'll get beat again.

Yes show Cargin respect but don't walk off the field thinking you didn't go at them, you just have to look at the two hurling semis, that's the attitude you need.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

I think Cargin have better players and obviously more experience but something I can't really explain is telling me Creggan might nick this by a point or two. Probably the desire to make amends for the manner they went about it last time will be driving them on.

bannside

Perfectly set up for a cliff hanger. Lets wait and see if ot turns out to be the showpiece of the year, or a win at all costs ugly spectacle.

City Dweller

I thought Brendan had a great game on the mic yesterday. Well researched.. apart from the three finals in a row comment.

St Galls played Dunloy in the 2018 final?

St Brigids were in the minor final in 2015, 2019 and this year.

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: City Dweller on September 20, 2020, 01:02:38 PM
I thought Brendan had a great game on the mic yesterday. Well researched.. apart from the three finals in a row comment.

St Galls played Dunloy in the 2018 final?

St Brigids were in the minor final in 2015, 2019 and this year.

Yeah got that wrong sorry, it was a semi final defeat in 2018

Bronco

You're right, I was at that game and I made the same mistake in fairness.

BrendanAntrim

Fair play to the two teams. Great match, some drama - as we have come to expect now! Creggan brought a lot to that match and deserve great credit. Mick McCann a cool cool head. Congratulations to them.

paddyjohn

So after all the tripe on here as last week, fair play to Toland. That's why he got the gig and Mick McCann is still the the best in the county.

Milltown Row2

Great game and unfortunately someone has to lose, the difference is being able to close it out, Cargin did, they have that experience to see it out.

The standard was a thousand times better that the last final between these two last time out..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Hats off to both teams, great game of football and everything that's good with football, some great scores great tackling and some unbelievable fielding. Contrast to the derry game between slaughneil and glen, watched the first half here and such a negative game both teams dropping everyone behind the ball and every kick out short and slow build up play. The Antrim championship has been great, been refreshing seeing attacking football

bannside

A cliffhanger of a game, credit to both teams for going out to win instead of trying not to lose. Creggan died with both boots on, never once yielding an inch in the physical exchanges and will be looking at the video replays to check out the ifs and bits that on another day would have seen them cross the winning line.

To have it in sight and not claim the prize will stay with them over the winter, and particularly the best player on the pitch Ruairi Mc Cann, the impressive Kevin Rice, Conor Mc Cann and Jamie Mc Cann who also caught the eye from a county perspective.

But cometh the moment cometh the man  and arguably Cargins greatest ever player stood up when it mattered most, the great Ciaran Close, the best club forward in Antrim for the last 15 years.

County legend Justin Crozier never put a foot wrong all day and Kobo the great got his moment in the sun with two raiders points to put the icing on the cake, which he will remember for manys a year when the dust settles on an illustrious football career. Marty Kane was coolness personified when Cargin really needed a leader, winning the dirty ball every time, and James Laverty was solid throughout and played a huge part in Cargins victory.

From a neutrals perspective it was great to see two heavyweights slogging it out across parish boundaries, and yet retain the sportsmanship at the end that is the foundation of our games.

Its over, Cargin are off once again with the Mc Namee, three in a row now to firmly cement their place at the top of the table. Licking their sores and looking for a place at that table are three or four  clubs who will be thinking that they arnt too far away. Thats for another day.

Well done Cargin. To the victor the spoils. What a great championship it was.