Pikey's Picnic

Started by SuperSub, September 08, 2007, 01:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSub

Head chef Marco Pierre White has been accused of racism after making a slur about travellers on ITV show Hell's Kitchen.

The Commission for Racial Equality criticised the fiery cook after he used the word "pikey" on air.

Viewers complained after watching him say: "I don't think it was a pikey's picnic tonight."

His use of the derogatory word for travellers sparked a row with ex-Blue star turned trainee chef Lee Ryan, 24.

Ryan told the quick-tempered cook: "I have a lot of friends who are travellers... and I know they don't like being called pikeys."

Pierre White asked him: "What is wrong with being a pikey?"

Ryan replied: "Just the term pikey. It's not a nice word to say.

"I know my friends don't like being called pikeys. It's a derogatory term to a traveller or gypsy roamers."

A spokesman for race equality watchdog the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) said: "These distasteful comments are highly derogatory and have caused much offence."

An ITV spokeswoman said the broadcaster had received complaints.

She said: "Last night's programme featured the use of the word 'pikey'.

"Whilst there appear to be several meanings of the word, we accept that one meaning is a derogatory racial term and that it has the potential to offend viewers."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------