Ladies football

Started by ExiledGael, May 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay in to watch ladies football?

Yes
65 (52%)
No
60 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 123

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2016, 09:26:41 PM
So you don't know that ladies footballers don't put in similar effort as their male counterparts?

So when you were comparing ladies football to other sports you were comparing county level amateur footballers to professional international athletes?

To the best of my knowledge IC ladies footballers put in a similar level of preparation to their male counterparts and certainly compare favourably with men's IC teams from 10 or 15 years ago. Where are you getting the idea they don't?
I very, very, very strongly doubt that the Cork and Dublin players we saw today are putting in anywhere near the level of preparation or the level of effort required for it of the Dublin and Mayo players we saw last week.

For one, the Dublin players absolutely tanked early in the second half, and Cork themselves coasted through the first half. This would not be happening were the players putting in anywhere near the preparation of their male counterparts.

The fitness levels and the skill levels are simply on a different planet in the men's game.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2016, 10:25:25 PM
Re womens' rugby, half the national team are ex-GAA players.

And it shows, an awfully awful shit standard is women's rugby.

Women's camoige and football would be streets ahead skill level wise.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 26, 2016, 10:08:20 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2016, 10:25:25 PM
Re womens' rugby, half the national team are ex-GAA players.

And it shows, an awfully awful shit standard is women's rugby.

Women's camoige and football would be streets ahead skill level wise.

But they can beat the All Blacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUDf-Mza9E

I imagine most supporters would  gladly swap a few months in the gym for the lads if they had the balls to beat the All Blacks

Hound

Some exciting games yesterday in poor conditions. Poor shooting and decision making by the Dubs, when the game was there for them.

Too much being made of lack of Hawkeye. The expense of HE is not really needed at present in ladies football, because it's very rare the ball is hit over the top of the posts, when it becomes difficult for an umpire to make a call.

The decision yesterday was purely down to incompetent umpires. Was in no shape or form a difficult decision. The lad behind the goals had the perfect view, and made a complete hames of it.  He knew it as well, in my view, but was too cowardly to over-rule his colleague who'd waved his arms for wide.

The countdown clock would be a disaster in men's football. I've said this for years since I first saw it in Ladies.
I think a last play rule would be good. Game keeps going until the ball goes out of play, and keeper cannot kick it dead if the ref calls it when there's a kickout.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on September 26, 2016, 10:39:01 AM
Some exciting games yesterday in poor conditions. Poor shooting and decision making by the Dubs, when the game was there for them.

Too much being made of lack of Hawkeye. The expense of HE is not really needed at present in ladies football, because it's very rare the ball is hit over the top of the posts, when it becomes difficult for an umpire to make a call.

The decision yesterday was purely down to incompetent umpires. Was in no shape or form a difficult decision. The lad behind the goals had the perfect view, and made a complete hames of it.  He knew it as well, in my view, but was too cowardly to over-rule his colleague who'd waved his arms for wide.

The countdown clock would be a disaster in men's football. I've said this for years since I first saw it in Ladies.
I think a last play rule would be good. Game keeps going until the ball goes out of play, and keeper cannot kick it dead if the ref calls it when there's a kickout.

Exactly.
I can't remember the last time we had a similar incident in mens' football.
The technology is primarily used to adjudicate on those 'over-the-post' type efforts.
The umpire is getting a free pass essentially.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on September 26, 2016, 10:39:01 AM

You are going way overboard with speculation, just maybe the umpire who stood back wasn't sure enough to call it a point and overrule his more confident colleague.
No way should there even be consideration about calling for a replay over an incident which happened in the first half.

Overall I'm impressed with the obvious marked progress in skill levels in the ladies football over the past 10 years. The Cork ladies team are simply outstanding, one of the top teams of the modern era.

Zulu

Quote from: sid waddell on September 26, 2016, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2016, 09:26:41 PM
So you don't know that ladies footballers don't put in similar effort as their male counterparts?

So when you were comparing ladies football to other sports you were comparing county level amateur footballers to professional international athletes?

To the best of my knowledge IC ladies footballers put in a similar level of preparation to their male counterparts and certainly compare favourably with men's IC teams from 10 or 15 years ago. Where are you getting the idea they don't?

I very, very, very strongly doubt that the Cork and Dublin players we saw today are putting in anywhere near the level of preparation or the level of effort required for it of the Dublin and Mayo players we saw last week.

For one, the Dublin players absolutely tanked early in the second half, and Cork themselves coasted through the first half. This would not be happening were the players putting in anywhere near the preparation of their male counterparts.

The fitness levels and the skill levels are simply on a different planet in the men's game.

Ok so you don't know despite saying you did and changing the reference point a few times from teams 10 or 15 years ago to Dublin and Mayo now.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game but your opening post was nonsense and full exaggeration and false statements. The ladies game is not at the level of the men's game for many reasons but there is no doubt that compared to their peers in other sports IC ladies footballers would match up well in terms of fitness, skill and dedication to their sport.

I can only speak for myself but I really enjoy the game and it's obvious that many others here share my enthusiasm. 

Jinxy

The idea that they're not properly fit is daft.
Conditioning has come on leaps and bounds in recent years.
A lot of the girls have backgrounds in multiple team sports such as basketball, hockey, camogie, football, soccer and rugby.
Watching the intermediate final, Kildare looked to me like a team that could do damage at senior level as they were very athletic.
The standard of goalkeeping is in general pretty bad however I do think it's unfair that the ladies play with a regulation height/width goals.
The Antrim keeper conceded a comical goal yesterday because she was simply too small.
If I coached a ladies team I'd tell them to aim for the crossbar every chance they get.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2016, 12:30:52 PM
The idea that they're not properly fit is daft.
Conditioning has come on leaps and bounds in recent years.
A lot of the girls have backgrounds in multiple team sports such as basketball, hockey, camogie, football, soccer and rugby.
Watching the intermediate final, Kildare looked to me like a team that could do damage at senior level as they were very athletic.
The standard of goalkeeping is in general pretty bad however I do think it's unfair that the ladies play with a regulation height/width goals.
The Antrim keeper conceded a comical goal yesterday because she was simply too small.
If I coached a ladies team I'd tell them to aim for the crossbar every chance they get.

This. I think the goalkeeping lets the women's game down. Camogie and Football. Maybe it is the goals themselves, I hadn't thought about that, but the amount of goals that go in with either a little half jump as it sails over their head, or goes in the corner as they wave at it like a lad directing traffic is criminal.

That said I think the skills of the game are in evidence, and are very strong. Maybe shooting a little bit, but their passing, kicking, tackling etc are all very good at IC level.

westbound

Kildare goalkeeper got player of the match yesterday!

AZOffaly

In general I mean. Obviously there are exceptions.

Syferus

Don't understand the idea that HawkEye is mainly for points that go over the top of the uprights. The far more common situation is where a clear wide or point is given or not given. Human error. That's where HawkEye has proved most useful and it clearly applies to the ladies' game just as much as the mens'.

Jinxy

nrico2006

Usually watch the finals every year and the one thing that stands out is the poor standard of the keepers.  As mentioned here, usually a wee jump made to save high goal shots - surely women can jump a bit higher than their GAA goalie representatives are showing.  The keepers in general look like the most unathletic players on the team too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

Just seen the "point" there for the first time. How on earth did the umpire at the far side of the goal not see it? It's baffling how you could miss that. He had a perfect view of it going between the posts. To be honest the ref should have seen it as well but one of the umpires was directly behind it. And for once he actually looked like a relatively young fella rather than an OAP.