NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

All well from a Covid point of view as far as I know.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Bearded One

Quote from: bannside on October 10, 2020, 07:05:15 PM
Exactly. Any county should be able to tutn up with a panel of 24 players who are not Covid positive.

Any county using that excuse for not fulfilling a fixture should be deducted 2 points at the start of next years league...or some other meaningful deterrent. Imo.

Bannside I have an awful lot of time for your posts on this forum but I think you are fundamentally wrong on this. Reports suggest Fermanagh have up to 18 players in isolation with half of those reportedly positive Covid cases and the rest isolating due to being close contacts. How can you say they can "turn up" with a panel of 24 to play a game? Do you suggest they bring in a crowd of lads who quit playing club football over a month ago to make up numbers and travel to Ennis? This isn't a Sunday morning pub league game. If we are to believe the seriousness of this cluster within their squad and we've no reason not to, surely someone in the GAA management must see that making them play this game is ludicrous.
It is what it is. Presumably.

bannside

To be fair Bearded One those are exceptionally high numbers within a squad. Maybe I was a bit rash and let the authorities decide what should happen next when they have all the facts at their disposal!

marty34

Quote from: bannside on October 11, 2020, 01:28:31 PM
To be fair Bearded One those are exceptionally high numbers within a squad. Maybe I was a bit rash and let the authorities decide what should happen next when they have all the facts at their disposal!

I'd say the GAA need to make a statement over the next next few days to clarify what will happen with Fermanagh and, if, more likely when, more counties have a similiar problem re: players isolating or testing positive etc.

Otherwise, it'll turn into a real farce.

armaghniac

I think forfeiting a game is OK if it doesn't have implications for promotion or relegation, but given the small size of the divisions most games do have implications.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2020, 01:52:50 PM
I think forfeiting a game is OK if it doesn't have implications for promotion or relegation, but given the small size of the divisions most games do have implications.
Yes I'd agree and in the case of Fermanagh v Clare it's a relegation 4 pointer. Clare said they are fine to play the game midweek if needed.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Bearded One

Quote from: bannside on October 11, 2020, 01:28:31 PM

Fair dues, it's a difficult situation for any team to be facing and who knows what's around the corner for anyone else. I wouldn't like to be making a call on how things will proceed, that's for sure!
It is what it is. Presumably.

smelmoth

Quote from: FermGael on October 10, 2020, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 10, 2020, 07:05:15 PM
Exactly. Any county should be able to tutn up with a panel of 24 players who are not Covid positive.

Any county using that excuse for not fulfilling a fixture should be deducted 2 points at the start of next years league...or some other meaningful deterrent. Imo.

In the current climate ?
You reckon Antrim could round up 24 lads to head to Clare if they had all but 11 of their players available to train?
3 hour journey to Clare to get beat and come straight back up the road with no shower ?

As for taking points of teams for not fielding in the current climate wise up.

I agree. Better to try and play the game another day

illdecide

This is a difficult one...People will say that if the game is played at a later date then they'll know from other results what they have to do themselves (to be fair they both need to win) but surely if it's done fair Fermanagh should not be forced to play the game. They should be given at least one full weeks training from an almost full squad after isolation. The flip side to all this is the actual players who tested positive may be a while before they get back to full fitness as the virus may not have knocked them off their feet but is bound to have still had a minor impact not to mention the two weeks of isolating and doing nothing...be an interesting statement from HQ this week...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on October 11, 2020, 11:52:21 PM
This is a difficult one...People will say that if the game is played at a later date then they'll know from other results what they have to do themselves (to be fair they both need to win) but surely if it's done fair Fermanagh should not be forced to play the game. They should be given at least one full weeks training from an almost full squad after isolation. The flip side to all this is the actual players who tested positive may be a while before they get back to full fitness as the virus may not have knocked them off their feet but is bound to have still had a minor impact not to mention the two weeks of isolating and doing nothing...be an interesting statement from HQ this week...

What's an "almost full" squad, -3, -5, missing their goakeeper?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2020, 12:32:50 AM
Quote from: illdecide on October 11, 2020, 11:52:21 PM

What's an "almost full" squad, -3, -5, missing their goakeeper?

I dont think there is space in the schedule to do this. Some counties like Cavan have 2 league games and championship game in 3 weeks. What will happen if Cavan have a few Covid cases? There is no way to fit it in. Maybe they whole thing should just be called off. If you make an exception for Fermanagh it will be the start of a slippery slope cos things are going to get worse before they get better.

five points

Very simple solution: make a provision that there is to be no promotion or relegation this year because of the unique circumstances.  Of course this would negatively affect Cork so it's a non runner.

BennyCake

Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 10:31:22 AM
Very simple solution: make a provision that there is to be no promotion or relegation this year because of the unique circumstances.  Of course this would negatively affect Cork so it's a non runner.

Or they could just scrap this tier 2 nonsense. Problem solved.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 10:31:22 AM

The calendar is going to be messed up anyway so you could have promotion this year and no relegation.

That would leave something like 10 teams in division 1 & 3 next year, and 6 teams in divisions 2 and 4. For divisions 1 & 3 you could split the leagues into 2 groups of 5 (top teams play off in league final). That would mean teams in divisions 1 & 3 having 4 league games next year and divisions 2 and 4 - 5 games. Going to have to shorten the season anyway as it'll be late starting.

If you wanted to fix it for 2022 only then league winners go up next year in divisions 2 & 4 and increased relegation from the other leagues.

Redhand Santa

And based on what I've said yes tier 2 would have to be scrapped for next year given the circumstances. There's enough issues without trying to get it going.