Black Friday - Dublin Construction Industry

Started by umgolaarmagh, July 19, 2007, 11:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mc_grens on July 20, 2007, 03:31:50 PM
Lynchie- do text me. Ive lost my phone so I had to get a new one, lost all my numbers. Still the same number.

Appt is in Islandbridge, Bellevue, in by the War Memorial Gardens, looks out onto the Liffey. Nice spot, just in beside where the Civil Service GAA pitches are.

know it well
played for the CS and had the wedding pics taken in the War mem rose gardens
nice spot.
You wont be stuck for a place to booze on Good fridays if the CS still have their annual soccer match and 'clubhouse session'.
you leave about 5 or 6am if yer lucky, otherwise its 10am

txt on its way

umgolaarmagh

Did Black Friday come about or was it just hyped up within the industry

thebandit

I work in a construction related company and it is eerily quiet this week....

mannix

Bandit,
they may be on holidays or something?
It could never continue at that pace anyway.

An Gaeilgoir

I work for a construction company and its the same every year around this time. We are still quite busy although we are not involved in the housing industry. Sometimes i think we will simply scare ourselves in to a recession. The economy is i feel levelling off and we are still growing at 4% not the 6-9 %that has been happening over the past few years.

thebandit

Quote from: thebandit on July 24, 2007, 12:55:11 PM
I work in a construction related company and it is eerily quiet this week....

It is the builders fortnight holidays at the minute.

But usually a lot of lads working for builders do bits of work for themselves for a week and take a weeks holidays.

amallon

My oul man works for a builders providers firm and he say he has noticed it a lot quieter even before the holidays.

I supopse its good news for someone in my position who should be starting to build in the second half of next year.  I imagine increased competition between builders for work should drive the cost of building well down.   What do ye reckon?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 24, 2007, 01:01:44 PM
I work for a construction company and its the same every year around this time. We are still quite busy although we are not involved in the housing industry. Sometimes i think we will simply scare ourselves in to a recession. The economy is i feel levelling off and we are still growing at 4% not the 6-9 %that has been happening over the past few years.

fully agree
it happened twice in the IT industry too (dot com bubble bursting and then another 'downturn' a few years ago) - then the repurcussions occur to all areas of industry and business
we def talk ourselves into it
the media - esp the newspapers- over hype this all up
thats one of the reasons why I hate the hoors

the housing industry is not producing as many houses - so there HAS to be lesser growth - but there is growth and there is still work being done
so why are the f**king media persisting with this negative hype

bcarrier

If there are any QS's, site managers, construction technical bods among ye with resi experience interested in a move to London send me a PM.

There is a severe shortage of decent construction professionals in SE England.

Skybox with rte and setanta ireland available to successful applicants  :).

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: bcarrier on July 24, 2007, 04:13:47 PM
If there are any QS's, site managers, construction technical bods among ye with resi experience interested in a move to London send me a PM.

There is a severe shortage of decent construction professionals in SE England.

Skybox with rte and setanta ireland available to successful applicants  :).

Would ya pay for flights from Toronto?  :D :D :D :D :D

Smokin Joe

Never mind Dublin, there are rumours of contractors in the North laying off workers over the holidays.  Houses aren't selling.

ludermor

Tyrone Dreamer

If you's hadnt sold us down the river then our builders wouldnt be taking ur jobs now!