Black Friday - Dublin Construction Industry

Started by umgolaarmagh, July 19, 2007, 11:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umgolaarmagh

Have been hearing reports that there will be major redundancies mainly in labour in Dublin, from what i here its been already called "BLACK FRIDAY" has anyone heard anything about this

the Deel Rover

yes the builders holidays are due to start this friday and a lot of people think there might not be work for some of the builders after the holidays and that they will be laid off
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

illdecide

AT LEAST THEY WILL HAVE THOUSANDS SAVED UP TO LIVE ON FOR A WHILE. AFTERALL THEY WERE EARNING LIKE 1000 TO 1500 EUROS A WEEK.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

umgolaarmagh

Cheers,

Have been talking to a few major subcontractors in london who are skeptical about taking on major works in the north of Irelannd because of a lack of labour. With a downturn in work in the south is it possible for a reversal and have southerners working in the Norths capital

ludermor

Feck of the labourers are earning over 1000 per week, trades may well be. The wages have reduced a lot over the last year. There have been rumours of a few of the larger contractors letting go a lot of their labour, but if there is lees work what do you expect? Sometimes builders holidays for cleaning out some of the deadwood, this is especially the case in some job where they have to use local labour. A ridiculous situation exists at the minutes in the docklands where sites have to employ 20% local labour. Not to upset de dubs but almost to a man they are fuckin useless. Then when they are let go their mammies start to picket the sites and give out about the foreigner's on sites.

umgolaarmagh

Would confirm that about the local dubs,

Was on a site in Lucan for a year and had mostly country boys working, the dubs who came onto the site wanted the living allowance as well, they got it but then decided they only wanted to work 4 days a week with the living allowance making up there fifth day,

with the laws of employment etc it tooks us a while to to weed out the deadwood, we ended up with about 6 genuine dubs out of about 30 when the site was in full flow

Croí na hÉireann

Heard last night that a lot of labourers are making the move from site work with the big companies to setting up their own businesses and sub contracting
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

the Deel Rover

heard from a friend in galwat that blocklayers were looking for €1.20 per block now lucky to get €1.00
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

An Fear Rua

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 19, 2007, 12:22:35 PM
heard from a friend in galwat that blocklayers were looking for €1.20 per block now lucky to get €1.00

this time last year the polish lads were doingit for 70c a block, on small one off jobs, and prob less on long term contracts
Its Grim up North

ludermor

some polish lads still doing it for that price but they cop on soon enough. they wouldnt have a hope of getting on any of the dublin jobs though, only down the country.

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 19, 2007, 12:19:26 PM
Heard last night that a lot of labourers are making the move from site work with the big companies to setting up their own businesses and sub contracting

Not true, most of the labourers who will be let go (and even the good lads) wouldnt have the brains our the drive to set up on their own. If they did they wouldnt be labouring., Tradesmen maybe but even then no more so than usual.

lynchbhoy

labourers were never on 1000 a week-  at most maybe just over half that. Defo not much more than 100 a day - esp into the hand.
tradesmen - brickies and plasterers have not had wage rises in at least 10 years, ok they were on good money to start with , but its a skilled job and for brickies at least, you cant work if it rains so no wages (union jobs are different).

Migrant workers were taking less money , but as someone has mentioned, are now upping their price to be not much less than Irish workers.

Prob now is that a lot of the work is sub contracted out as mentioned, but the sub contractors are happy to take on UNSKILLED migrant workers posing as skilled tradesmen - paying these unskilled migrant workers half of the wage that skilled men would charge and still asking for the sme rate form the people they are building for - thus doubling their profit.
Would you fancy buying a house that has had sub-standard unskilled non-tradesmen working on it - I dont see them lowering the price of houses because they used cheap labour.
Also the houses and their lack of quality are dangerous (electrical/plumbing/subsidence etc all possiblegiven the poor worksmanship).

The London olympics will take a lot of the workers over there, NI re-generation will also take a lot of workers up there.
The house market in Dublin is saturated right now as potential buyers are still waiting for the 'price crash' and will only start buying again when the next budget is announced and they see that prices wont fall by more than a few grand per house.

The Real Laoislad

QuoteThe London olympics will take a lot of the workers over there, NI re-generation will also take a lot of workers up there.
The house market in Dublin is saturated right now as potential buyers are still waiting for the 'price crash' and will only start buying again when the next budget is announced and they see that prices wont fall by more than a few grand per house.

I hope your right it will mean there will be more work for the likes of me who have broke free from working for big companies to working for myself

You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

TBH Laoislad, if you spent less time on the board you could find plenty of work to do :D
You are a bit like the single mothers :D  (only joking, before some fcuker goes off on one)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on July 19, 2007, 03:38:40 PM
TBH Laoislad, if you spent less time on the board you could find plenty of work to do :D
You are a bit like the single mothers :D  (only joking, before some fcuker goes off on one)

I do plenty of work..But i have one of those mobile vodafone internet card thingys that you plug into laptop so i can access net wherever i am!!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hollow Man

I can't wait till Southerners start going up there and cleaning out the North like the Northern builders have been down here.

I know where I am in Cavan, there's f**k all but northerners coming up here with fake VAT numbers etc, which they discard at the end of the year. When you don't pay tax, you can undercut those who do.

It's the law of the jungle I know, but it goes in cycles and it's going up north next. I know a lot of local builders are rubbing their hands because there is a lot of bitterness there...