Gypsy Camp on M50

Started by Sky Blue, July 18, 2007, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Dinny Breen

QuoteShould all Irish illegals be sent home from the US ?

Yes, don't see a problem wiith that...
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

QuoteShould all Irish illegals be sent home from the US ?

This is even more clearcut as there is no doubt that they would have a good standard of living in Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sky Blue

Extra 21 Roma gypsies jet in to join M50 campers
Angry envoy attacks lobby groups for 'distorting facts'

Silvia Davidoiu: accused Pavee Point and Roma Support Group of manipulating public

By Tom Brady
Tuesday July 24 2007

ANOTHER 21 Roma have flown in to the country to take up residence alongside 86 fellow gypsies who have already set up camp beside a motorway.

Last night the latest arrivals were settling into their new surroundings at the Ballymun exit from the M50 motorway, as the Romanian ambassador launched a hard-hitting attack on Irish support groups.

Silvia Davidoiu accused Pavee Point and the Roma Support Group of spearheading a campaign which attempted to manipulate the Irish public with a blend of untrue declarations and distortions of fact.

The Irish Independent learned last night that the 21 extra gypsies flew in to Dublin on a flight from Bucharest on Saturday night.

The latest arrivals carried tents in their luggage and hailed a fleet of taxis to take them directly from the airport to the three makeshift camps occupied by the others for the past couple of months.

The original 86 have already been served with deportation orders and it is understood the 21 will also be served with papers by the immigration authorities.

The 86 are preparing their submissions to Justice Minister Brian Lenihan against the orders served on them by gardai on Saturday.

They have 15 days to complete their submissions and a decision on their fate will then be made by the minister.

'How can whole families living in rubbish dumps, therefore having no property or financial means, finance their flights to Ireland?'

Ambassador Davidoiu said she was deeply concerned by the allegations repeatedly made by some of those living at the roundabout and by Pavee Point and the Roma Support Group about their treatment and living conditions in Romania.

Mendacious assertions aimed at misleading the Irish public into thinking that their conditions in Romania were worse than here were used in their campaign, she said.

She confirmed that the M50 campers were not homeless in Romania and some had permanent addresses in apartment blocks.

"The claim of living in makeshift tents in a rubbish dump back in Romania is a deliberately repeated falsehood," she added.

"How can whole families living in rubbish dumps, therefore having no property or financial means, finance their flights to Ireland?" she asked.

"How much do more than 50 flights to Ireland cost?" the ambassador asked. "And how can families with no resources or property support such costs?"

Refused

She pointed out that some of the gypsies had been offered jobs back home by an Italian shoe-making factory.

The job offer had been accepted by some and refused by others.

"Yet, one of their mantras is that they are not allowed to work in Romania.

"In the region where the extended family originate, the local authorities are implementing a project aimed at putting land at the disposal of poor families to support them making a decent living," she said yesterday.

It was regrettable, she added, that some Irish groups, and even part of the mass media, were ready to embrace stereotypes about the supposed discrimination the Roma minority was suffering in Romania.

She said it was surprising that Pavee Point was launching appeals to European bodies to treat "the Roma minority problem as an European one" when it had always been tackled as an European issue by those institutions.

Accuse

Ambassador Davidoiu also claimed the M50 campers were using their circumstances - "which they got into by ignoring the Irish legislation regarding the access to the Irish labour market" - to accuse the Romanian government of discrimination.

All of the 86 served with deportation orders have already refused two offers of free flights home.

Last January, 230 Romanians arrived here in large groups and sought asylum. But their applications were quickly turned down under an EU treaty protocol.

Only a dozen out of the 230 accepted an offer of a free flight home and the rest returned to either France or Spain.

- Tom Brady

full back

Whhat a f**king joke
Paying for flight over, buying tents etc, then hailing a f**king taxi ??? ???
I say round them all up & f**king deport them asap >:(

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: full back on July 24, 2007, 12:15:58 PM
Whhat a f**king joke
You cant say that  ;)...give them a hug,social welfare and a cead mile Failte... :P

SuperMac

Quote from: full back on July 24, 2007, 12:15:58 PM
Whhat a f**king joke

100%. See the Romanian Ambassador came on to say that some of them owned houses back in Romania  ;D . One of them said they should be allowed to stay in Ireland because they were ' persecuted ' over in Romania. When asked to give an explaination he said " When you are on a bus in Romania people will look at you disrespectfully as if to say you shouldn't be sitting beside them. But in Ireland no one does that,  they treat me with respect ".  You have to feel sorry for the ordinary people back in Romania who have to live with these fcukers. These ' Romas' are not orginally from Romania, but centuries ago from but Asia aren't they ?

stephenite

downredblack

Quote from: stephenite on July 25, 2007, 03:10:07 AM
Quote from: downredblack on July 24, 2007, 10:32:21 AM
What ????

Simple enough question

Look I don't know what your angle is here , but the answer to your question is no . I have never been to the States never mind Chicago and I have never protested against the NI soccer team . There are numerous soccer threads on this board and the lads that use them I think can confirm that I very rarely if ever have posted on them . For the simple reason I only have a passing interest in soccer at the best of times . So please tell me why I would go out of my way to do protest against something that I dont care about one way or the other ?

Gnevin

How did 21 lads just walk through Dublin airport , we wheren't they stopped and asked the purpose of their trip?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 25, 2007, 12:43:08 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 25, 2007, 08:42:51 AM
How did 21 lads just walk through Dublin airport , we wheren't they stopped and asked the purpose of their trip?

I believe they are allowed to come here as visitors/tourists.
Yes so like when you go to the US /Aussie they say how long are you staying , how much money have you got , where do you plan to stay .
If they lie they can be turfed straight back out, I've the tell the truth you don't let them in
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

I believe EU citizens can travel freely throughout the EU, so I'm not sure they could have been stopped. I understand we have a derogation that allows us to deny citizens of some of the recent accessions to the EU the right to work here, but I don't think we can stop any EU citizen coming in. I also don't understand how we can 'deport' citizens of the EU to another place in the EU, given the right to travel freely. Can anyone help?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2007, 12:57:27 PM
I believe EU citizens can travel freely throughout the EU, so I'm not sure they could have been stopped. I understand we have a derogation that allows us to deny citizens of some of the recent accessions to the EU the right to work here, but I don't think we can stop any EU citizen coming in. I also don't understand how we can 'deport' citizens of the EU to another place in the EU, given the right to travel freely. Can anyone help?
I think it has to do with the ability to support yourself for three months without state help when you arrive.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: downredblack on July 25, 2007, 08:37:37 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 25, 2007, 03:10:07 AM
Quote from: downredblack on July 24, 2007, 10:32:21 AM
What ????

Simple enough question

Look I don't know what your angle is here , but the answer to your question is no . I have never been to the States never mind Chicago and I have never protested against the NI soccer team . There are numerous soccer threads on this board and the lads that use them I think can confirm that I very rarely if ever have posted on them . For the simple reason I only have a passing interest in soccer at the best of times . So please tell me why I would go out of my way to do protest against something that I dont care about one way or the other ?

Stephenite it's not the  same person, it was...something similar to that alright but that's not the same person. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Sky Blue

Well they all flew home yesterday thank f**k.
On RTE this morning the Europe corrospondent was on - can't remember his name- was reporting from their home village in Romania. There's a fine new National school and a new medical centre is been built.  All they guys own their own houses. No sign of the rubbish dump they said they lived on.
There's a shortage of labour in the area so the Govt ran a job fair to match local Roma unempolyed with empolyers. Of the thousands unemployed only 56 turned up and took jobs. When FAS went backto check a month later only 6 were still in empolyment. The rest had quit to sit on their holes in a round about in Ireland and get fawned over by Pavee Point do-gooders.