Cambridge Analytica & Facebook

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2018, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Pretty major storyline in the UK with Cambridge Analytica being caught out offering dirty tricks to poltical campaigns as well as the fact they've harvested 50m odd Facebook accounts House of Cards style to offer a "hopes and fears" PR service to persuade voters to elect wannabe tyrants.

Facebook have lost 7% of their value today ($36bn) with potentially more losses to come with an ICO investigation of both companies...

Interesting times!

Oh and of course Cambridge Analytica we're heavily involved with both Trump and Brexit campaigns!

Tony Baloney

And a company with links to Cambridge Analytica were used by the DUP.

whitey

The main stream media put out spin and misinformation all the time.... heck we even had a network rig a presidential debate in favor of one candidate over others

How is that any different to an third part putting misleading information up on Facebook?

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 12:50:36 AM
The main stream media put out spin and misinformation all the time.... heck we even had a network rig a presidential debate in favor of one candidate over others

How is that any different to an third part putting misleading information up on Facebook?

Seriously?

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on March 20, 2018, 01:59:09 AM

Seriously?

Yes.....I'm deadly serious!

Not to mention the DNC sent a party operative into a closed door GOP function pretending to be a waiter and secretly recorded what was said. Both sides are neck deep in dirty tricks

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 02:11:39 AM

Seriously?

Not to mention the DNC sent a party operative into a closed door GOP function pretending to be a waiter and secretly recorded what was said. Both sides are neck deep in dirty tricks

Again.. seriously? This isn't a bit or some sort of performance art?

omochain

Seriously?

Whitey, your propensity for false equivalency knows no boundaries. Apart from your enlightening anecdotes, most of your "facts" appear to come courtesy of Cambridge Analytica's hard work.

heganboy

Seriously?

Dude, seriously, you know people can read this on the internet?

You really cant distinguish a difference?
Maybe school should be next for you?
Or, even Wikipedia?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

CiKe

What is new here on the CA side exactly versus what was reported a year ago? Almost seems like it is news again primarily because there was a Facebook data breach.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good thing that this type of shit is being covered but I haven't read anything from a manipulation standpoint that I didn't know 12 months ago. Or maybe there is more but I just haven't seen it?

whitey

The Russian collusion theory must be in the process of falling flat on its arse, so now they need something else to explain Hillarys loss.

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Obamas campaign also used CA.....but I'm sure whatever way they used them was completely above board while the way Trump used them was the greatest threat to democracy since the dawn of time

seafoid

This lady is on the ball

Anne Irwin Scott

@anneirwinscott

·

Trump has only ever been a small, feckless pawn in a much much larger game played by very rich men using every sleazy trick at their disposal to acquire nearly unlimited wealth and power.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

policitcal party spend bucket loads of money and gets more votes  and gets elected
of course advertising works whay do you think unilever and coke spend billions every year on it and you can be sure they was that spend to be as targeted and as efficient as possible.
and yes it works on you  Too despite wat you might think.
can some one point out what CA broke the Law , then they should face full sactions of the law, other wise its just grist to the mill
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

screenexile

Quote from: rosnarun on March 20, 2018, 11:09:02 AM
policitcal party spend bucket loads of money and gets more votes  and gets elected
of course advertising works whay do you think unilever and coke spend billions every year on it and you can be sure they was that spend to be as targeted and as efficient as possible.
and yes it works on you  Too despite wat you might think.
can some one point out what CA broke the Law , then they should face full sactions of the law, other wise its just grist to the mill

Well they've said they have offered political opponents bribes and set up stings involving prostitutes before which I'm pretty sure violates a few laws!

On the Facebook side of things Cambridge Analytica bought a load of Facebook data that was obtained illegally and used it to shape the messages sent out for elections . . . which is also illegal.