Orange Order Museum in Belfast and Loughgall

Started by Orior, October 18, 2017, 10:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

There was something on RTÉ radio some months ago from the archives , early 70's I think.
Interview with a Protestant mither and son from Sligo. When asked if they ever took part in or went North to view Orange parades the reply was
"We're too busy trying to make a livin from a bit o' land for any of that nonsense"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on October 22, 2017, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2017, 11:50:56 PM
Is there an active Orange presence (Halls,Lodges etc) in the South,outwith the Border counties, and Dublin and Wicklow? E.g. In any part of Munster?

I know of one or two in Cavan and monaghan but nowhere else. The protestants in the south have become more enlightened than there northern cousins and have rejected sectarianism.

Understandable being on the "wrong" side of the border. Anything for a peaceful existence.

mrdeeds

Is there an active Orange presence (Halls,Lodges etc) in the South,outwith the Border counties, and Dublin and Wicklow? E.g. In any part of Munster?

I know of one or two in Cavan and monaghan but nowhere else. The protestants in the south have become more enlightened than there northern cousins and have rejected sectarianism.

The one in Cootehill was set on fire few years ago. The ironic thing is a Protestant that done it.

BennyCake

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 22, 2017, 04:02:58 PM

The one in Cootehill was set on fire few years ago. The ironic thing is a Protestant that done it.

Wouldn't be the first time that has occured.

seafoid

If a group.is part of a larger rational unit it will be rational.But if it is the majority it may be nuts.

This works for Jews in the US vs Jews in Israel and Protestants in the Sout vs Protestants in NI.

imtommygunn

Has this turned into a "pesky protestants" thread??

T Fearon

No.I am genuinely interested by the reach of Orangeism,as distinct from Protestantism in the South,beyond the border counties.I know there are lodges in Wicklow and Dublin,but are there any lodges in Munster,or Leinster counties other than Dublin or Wicklow,Galway,Mayo,Roscommon?

Rossfan

I think we can safely say none in Ros, Mayo or Galway.
Wouldn't think there's any in Sligo but it is rumoured there's one in Laythrum.
Good few Protestants round Mohill but I suspect they're too busy making a living to be bothered with bigotry or disrespecting their neighbours.
There was a statue of paedophile king Billy up in Boyle but he was removed in the 30s. The pillar is still there though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2017, 09:09:11 PM
Good few Protestants round Mohill but I suspect they're too busy making a living to be bothered with bigotry or disrespecting their neighbours.
There was a statue of paedophile king Billy up in Boyle but he was removed in the 30s. The pillar is still there though.
No hatred or bigotry evident in this post then?

Orior

Here's my completely unbiased report, innit?

In order to quell those pesky Irish natives after the Nine Year war in 1603, the English decided to plant their own in the troublesome counties. So local chieftains had to either bend the knee to the Queen or leave, while English and Scottish landlords were gifted their land. The new landlords were to bring their own tenants from England or Scotland. Any incumbent native Irish tenants could also stay on the land if they stopped speaking Irish, changed their name to the english version, dropped any Irish customs etc etc.

This all worked fine and dandy (except for the 1641 rebellion and a kerfuffle in 1690) until the penal laws were relaxed and the native Irish were allowed to keep weapons. Protestants weren't having that so they raided the catholic homes.

When catholics retaliated, the good old protestant arrogance was born, they stepped up their attacks on catholic homes and at the same time formed the Orange Order.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on October 22, 2017, 09:28:59 PM

Show where you think there is?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

The Orange Parade in Rossnowlagh Donegal every year seems to be very peaceful and without controversy,with no offence given or taken.Are there any other parades in the South?

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on October 22, 2017, 11:05:22 PM
The Orange Parade in Rossnowlagh Donegal every year seems to be very peaceful and without controversy,with no offence given or taken.Are there any other parades in the South?

I believe most of the OO members in South go north for the parades, a lot to rossnoelagh. Never heard of one in recent memory in Cavan anyway.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2017, 09:39:21 PM
Here's my completely unbiased report, innit?

In order to quell those pesky Irish natives after the Nine Year war in 1603, the English decided to plant their own in the troublesome counties. So local chieftains had to either bend the knee to the Queen or leave, while English and Scottish landlords were gifted their land. The new landlords were to bring their own tenants from England or Scotland. Any incumbent native Irish tenants could also stay on the land if they stopped speaking Irish, changed their name to the english version, dropped any Irish customs etc etc.

This all worked fine and dandy (except for the 1641 rebellion and a kerfuffle in 1690) until the penal laws were relaxed and the native Irish were allowed to keep weapons. Protestants weren't having that so they raided the catholic homes.

When catholics retaliated, the good old protestant arrogance was born, they stepped up their attacks on catholic homes and at the same time formed the Orange Order.

Same thing happened in late 60s when Catholics looked for equal rights. Protestants have generally lay dormant (well, except for their general everyday keeping Catholics in their place) when Catholics "knew their place".

Over the Bar

Quote from: michaelg on October 22, 2017, 09:28:59 PM
The only reason I can find you considering that statement as bigotry is his referring to King Billy in such a way but I'm sure you'll be happy to elaborate further as to why?