Barcelona - things to see and do?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, February 12, 2007, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Going to Barcelona shortly and was just wondering can anyone recommend things to see there? Places to eat? Bars? Etc, etc.

PadraicHenryPearse

bus tour - cannot go wrong with the bus tour. i thought the park guell (sp) was a very nice spot, my favourite spot in barca anyway.

Over the Bar

OK don't miss the Gaudi houses and get the audio tour at each otherwise it can all go over your head a bit.  Get there early tho.   They have to be seen to be believed. Secondly the Sagrada Familia cathedral and Park Guell.  The Red & Blue bus routes are about €20 for 2 days.  Buy both as a package instead of seperately.  The will stop at every worthwhile sight and you hop on and off.

Most importantely do not miss montserrat. Its about 45 mins in the train and utterly breathtaking.  The pics here do not do it justice.  If you get there before lunch you'll be treated to the gregorian chanting in the catherdral. 

http://www.catalunatics.com/es/Montserrat/MO.htm 

el_cuervo_fc

Montserrat is spectacular, a must see.

Bars wise, the main spot is along the Ramblas.  loads of stuff goin on round there.  at the bottom of the street there is a pier which takes u to a spot where there's loads of nightclubs.

Watch the pockets.  there was about 20 of us over.  one fella got his wallet robbed and one of the girls had to fight one of the locals off when he grabbed her handbag.  she kicked him in the stones, sorted him out.

lynchbhoy

at the bottom of la ramblas, there is a square- place real
in there yo u will find two restaurants in each side of one of the corners
go to the cheaper place - the food is great and very inexpensive
may have to queue though..

Park guell, la sagrida la famillia, the gaudi houses, Camp nou

saffron sam2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2007, 10:47:42 AM

I think the restaurant to which you refer is Les Quinze Nits in Place Reial - an excellent call, particularly if you get a seat outside.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 13, 2007, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2007, 10:47:42 AM

I think the restaurant to which you refer is Les Quinze Nits in Place Reial - an excellent call, particularly if you get a seat outside.
dunno about the nits but 'Quinze' something or other rings a bell - and thats after a couple of bottles of vino in there
great place
careful not to be drawn into plastic Irish bar behind it
fake place , fake atmosphere and realistic Irish prices... :o

Over the Bar

Quotedunno about the nits but 'Quinze' something or other rings a bell

Yes its Les Quinze Nuits which if my o level french teacher wasnt a liar means 'fortnight'.  Top-class dining at reasonable prices.  Bring a couple of bottles of plonk and some plastic cups to drink in the queue as you could be there a while! well worth it tho!

Mack the finger

All of the aforementioned.

if ye have a couple of hours of your hands, check out Salvador dali's museum in Figureres - short train ride away. Mad as a box of frogs.

The cable car up to the castle that overlooks barcelona, and the museum beside it is nice too.

After you've climbed sagrada da familia, cross the park for a nice pint in the Irish pub (can't remember name).

Camp nou is great - go early, serious crowds. Same for the Picasso museums.

Los Ramblos is great at night - going towards the harbour, I wouldn't stray too far to the right hand side - some dodgies around there.

GalwayBayBoy

Thanks for the tips lads.

Any more would be welcome.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2007, 04:36:54 PM
Thanks for the tips lads.

Any more would be welcome.
dont eat in the fast tapas bars.
the stuff is carp in comparison to the good stuff you can get in the wee tapas bars - in the gothi-barric region.

you can get loads of cheap straw donkeys down round the sea front.

saffron sam2

I have been told that you should try a restauarant called Can Cortada, Av. Estatut de Catalunya.  It is about a 20 minute taxi journey form Las Ramblas, but the steak are supposed to be the best in the city.  Taxi should cost no more than 20 euros and it is well worth it, apparently.  I don't have directions, but your hotel and / or taxi man will know exactly where it is.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Yer Ma

I thought the Picasso Museum was pretty boring, though admittedly I'm not much of an art boffin. It's always well queued up so if you want to go be prepared for a half hour wait or so.

Beware to of the prices of the sangria on La Ramblas - we took a seat outside at one of the bars and got two jugs of sangria, then got a bill for €36 which was a bit steep. I think it's best to eat and drink away from the main street.

bailestil

Staying in Rabmla de Catalunya last year, great spot just up from Las Ramblas which had the bars and cafe's either side with seating in the middle of the road. Good spot to get food and would be a bit cheaper than La Rambla, and a bit quieter.

Plaza Real just off las ramblas has some nice spots and a niteclub in the corner which is a good place to go.

As someone said the bus routes are the best way around all the sites. But sitting on a open double decker bus all day will be a surefire way to slowly cook youself to death, so bring water and a hat in the high summer!

Barcalona is definately the nicest city i've ever set foot in.