The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

A great result for Leinster today. Not a classic by any means but the result is all that counts. That adds the European cup to the grand slam. All done without Sean O'Brien one of Ireland and Leinsters best players touching the ball.

The future of the Ireland and Leinster teams looks bright. The next world cup is less than 18 months away and I can't wait.

AZOffaly

f**k Leinster.

ah so, well done to them. A serious, serious outfit. I hope they get absolutely pissed for the entire next week!

LooseCannon

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 12, 2018, 08:50:56 PM
f**k Leinster.

ah so, well done to them. A serious, serious outfit. I hope they get absolutely pissed for the entire next week!
At least I'm not the only Offaly man to shout for Munster.

manfromdelmonte

Shows what an elite fee paying boarding school system can do when they can splurge money on youth rugby teams

Hound

Was lucky enough to spend last weekend in Bilbao

Fantastic weekend, what a great place Bilbao is. Eating and drinking are two of my favourite things, and for those it's awesome! Locals very friendly. Lovely underground system, feels modern and recent unlike others I've been in. We walked most of the time, but €1.60 could save a 20/25 min walk if going from one end to the other.

What a great stadium too. Would encourage me to return to take in an Athletic game. 

Game was unbelievably tense. Thankfully the lads got over the line, if not the try line!

Boycey

What eejit thought 6:30 on Champions League Final night was a good time for the PRO14 Final? I'm in Dublin Saturday during the day and looked into heading to it today and couldn't believe the timing. Not a bit of wonder there are so many tickets on DoneDeal

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Boycey

Dinny Breen

World Rugby has announced today a trialing of a lower tackle height. To be trialed at the U20s World Champs starting next week. Tackles above the nipple line will be illegal in the trial.

I saw a lot of high tackles in last weeks Monaghan Tyrone game, no HIAs and poorly punished by the referee, Dessie Ward would have seen red under rugby rules for his clothes hanger on Conor Meyler. Lads whinge about concussion in rugby but at least rugby is proactive the GAA needs to get it's shit in order.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 25, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
World Rugby has announced today a trialing of a lower tackle height. To be trialed at the U20s World Champs starting next week. Tackles above the nipple line will be illegal in the trial.

I saw a lot of high tackles in last weeks Monaghan Tyrone game, no HIAs and poorly punished by the referee, Dessie Ward would have seen red under rugby rules for his clothes hanger on Conor Meyler. Lads whinge about concussion in rugby but at least rugby is proactive the GAA needs to get it's shit in order.

There's a difference in the two games though. Matty Donnelly gets clotheslined every match and wins a free from it. The vast majority of them are unrewarding of a red card.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trileacman on May 27, 2018, 12:59:59 AM

There's a difference in the two games though. Matty Donnelly gets clotheslined every match and wins a free from it. The vast majority of them are unrewarding of a red card.

What does that mean?

BTW it's Donnelly that more the offender than offended against as frustration get to him increasingly.

trileacman

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2018, 09:54:26 AM

What does that mean?

BTW it's Donnelly that more the offender than offended against as frustration get to him increasingly.

If you think every tackle with an arm over a shoulder should be a red card you're talking shit.

You're other suggestion is also complete bull.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: trileacman on May 27, 2018, 02:35:09 PM

What does that mean?

If you think every tackle with an arm over a shoulder should be a red card you're talking shit.

If anyone is talking bull it is yourself.

Poor Mattie Donnelly finds himself being forced to play in a Harte system that doesn't suit him, one where talent is secondary to athleticism.  An extremely talented youngster, he finds himself in his prime, over conditioned and regularly frustrated in inter county games as he rarely reaches the heights to which he aspires given his immense talent as a youth. 

Wildweasel74

Maybe thats cause he got no natural speed and no amount of training will change that

trileacman

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2018, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 27, 2018, 02:35:09 PM

What does that mean?

If anyone is talking bull it is yourself.

Poor Mattie Donnelly finds himself being forced to play in a Harte system that doesn't suit him, one where talent is secondary to athleticism.  An extremely talented youngster, he finds himself in his prime, over conditioned and regularly frustrated in inter county games as he rarely reaches the heights to which he aspires given his immense talent as a youth.

He'd have reason to be frustrated if he was playing div 3 football and being humiliated on the field by Fermanagh.

This is a rugby thread and we were discussing high tackles and head injuries. If you want to use it as a platform to have a go at harte or Matty then go ahead, I really don't give a f**k.