126 (70.4%)
No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

Jinxy

Has he a no-nonsense public persona, Syf?
I've never been that aware of him making public statements about anything until now.
I'd be curious to read some of his stuff if you've any links.
Given the ineptitude of the FAI and the disastrous state of the domestic league in this country, I'm guessing he has given John Delaney and the higher echelons of the FAI both barrels at some stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

Duff was the highest profile person that they could wheel out. I might be wrong, but I feel it's all a little orchestrated. Including our friend from Balbriggan. paul kimmage

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 04:02:24 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 03:53:34 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 02:48:17 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 02:42:34 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 02:02:54 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 26, 2018, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 11:00:46 AM
That won't work. The ground is still controlled by the GAA. If they don't want to rent it to some crowd they can still refuse. Lifting the rule is one thing, letting any amount of other games in is an entirely different issue.

As with Wesley if I wanted to run a fundraising match for Paddy Jackson they can still refuse to let me rent the pitch.

Why do you keep trying to compare the Liam Miller charity match with Paddy Jackson?

Of course any organisation/individual has the right to say no to anyone who wants to use their property. The issue here is why would you say no to game were the proceeds will go to a widow, children and a hospice?

It's an extreme example. But I have to say the fact that it is essentially a gather up for a man's family (who earned over £10m in his career) does stick in my throat a little bit. Granted, it's not popular to say that.
Furthermore the way some Soccer people have attacked the GAA and called them 'f**king dinosaurs' for example also got my back up.

I am broadly in favour of GAA pitches being opened up for other uses. I just feel some people who don't have the best interests in the GAA at heart have latched onto this issue. I am sure Liam nor his family would want that.

So because he earned money the hospice he died in isn't worthy of funds?

Thats not popular because its borderline sociopathic

Why not just raise money for the Hospice? Look, I really don't care, but the organisers have thrown everything out into the open with their actions around PUC and then enrolling high profile soccer players to do their dirty work in the media.
The guy had a very good career and reportedly earned £10m. It's a genuine question. But if you ask it you're just a heartless soul, or a sociopath.
I see it as a gather up for the family with a charity tagged on to give it a bit of cover.
This story started with and was propigated by GAA folk. Duff offered his opinion as a participant.

To suggest this is some sort of scam is disgraceful. Talk about working backwards from your position.

Disgraceful? Holy over-reaction Batman! Catch a grip. Do you expect us to believe Duff (who never has an opinion on anything else) just weighed in off his own back? I think it's just a little coincidental.

The story didn't start with GAA folk.
You never addressed that this is essentially a gather up for a Millionaire's family.

If you want to discuss issues around GAA facilities and bash the GAA, then lets discuss everything around this charity match.
Duff is a pundit ffs, his income is from opinion giving.

The stort started when the mayor of cork, a gaa man, was asked a question about had they asked about puc. He confirmed that was plan a, but they were turned down. The organisers didnt leak this out of badness.

I understand that a huge chunk of his estate went on medical bills.  There is a nasty streak here, its a less worthy cause hecause he had a decent soccer career

You arent discussing, you are asking leading questions that infer malfesence.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 04:05:51 PM
I've never been that aware of him making public statements about anything until now.
Given the ineptitude of the FAI and the disastrous state of the domestic league in this country, I'm guessing he has given John Delaney and the higher echelons of the FAI both barrels at some stage.

He coaches, for free, the Irish u15s. I assume he has to be diplomatic to his employer.

Try google, he is regularly in the press

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 04:08:04 PM
Duff was the highest profile person that they could wheel out. I might be wrong, but I feel it's all a little orchestrated. Including our friend from Balbriggan. paul kimmage
Are you seriously suggesting i am paul kimmage? For real like?

Jinxy

Personally, I don't care who you are.
Maybe mix it up a bit though by posting about actual games once in a while.
Just the odd one like.

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 04:10:40 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 04:05:51 PM

He coaches, for free, the Irish u15s. I assume he has to be diplomatic to his employer.

Try google, he is regularly in the press

???

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 04:11:19 PM
Are you seriously suggesting i am paul kimmage? For real like?

The more you look the more you see.
Anyway the GAA is looking at it. Lets see what they do. I trust the process. I would encourage you to do so too.

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2018, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2018, 03:01:05 PM
Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 02:56:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 02:42:34 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 02:02:54 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 26, 2018, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 11:00:46 AM
That won't work. The ground is still controlled by the GAA. If they don't want to rent it to some crowd they can still refuse. Lifting the rule is one thing, letting any amount of other games in is an entirely different issue.

As with Wesley if I wanted to run a fundraising match for Paddy Jackson they can still refuse to let me rent the pitch.

Why do you keep trying to compare the Liam Miller charity match with Paddy Jackson?

Of course any organisation/individual has the right to say no to anyone who wants to use their property. The issue here is why would you say no to game were the proceeds will go to a widow, children and a hospice?

It's an extreme example. But I have to say the fact that it is essentially a gather up for a man's family (who earned over £10m in his career) does stick in my throat a little bit. Granted, it's not popular to say that.
Furthermore the way some Soccer people have attacked the GAA and called them 'f**king dinosaurs' for example also got my back up.

I am broadly in favour of GAA pitches being opened up for other uses. I just feel some people who don't have the best interests in the GAA at heart have latched onto this issue. I am sure Liam nor his family would want that.

So because he earned money the hospice he died in isn't worthy of funds?

Thats not popular because its borderline sociopathic
How do you have such a social conscience with regard to this fundraiser and then accuse a poster here of having special needs?

Whataboutry at its finest. You should be pulling up the other poster.
Do you believe it is fine to say another poster has special needs?
Of course I fûcking don't. But this is like focusing on a single ant while your house is infested with rats.
d's
It calls the poster's integrity into question when he is called out by Jinxy (?) and he refuses to pull the specials needs slagging. It demeans further his opinions and untruths about capital grants etc.

I am on record earlier on this thread advocating for the game to be played in PuC.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 03:56:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM
There has been a pronounced shift in the general tone of the conversation since Duff's comments.
The longer it goes on the more it will be reduced to 'gaelic people' (as he calls us) vs. 'soccer people'.
I don't think his comments will influence the ultimate decision but maybe HQ aren't the only people mixed up in this affair that could do with some PR lessons.
True, but Duffer is speaking for himself. He isnt a vastly paid PR manager.

I think Duff's comments have done more harm than good. I know a lot of people in GAA some in high positions in club and county. They are on the road, home late, taking calls during the day, late at night, organising, sorting, arranging. Giving up their time. To be labelled 'Dinosaurs' by some indulged millionaire just pisses me right off.

In short, whether he was told to do it, or did it off his own accord, it hasn't helped.

dublin7

Duff was doing a press launch for an autism charity he does work for and was asked by a journalist what did he think of the PuC situation. To say he was "wheeled out" as some sort of stooge is an insult to the organisers of the Liam Miller event and also Damien Duff.

The reason this has become such an issue is when Roy Keane was launching the game for Turners Cross one of the journalists asked why aren't you playing it in PuC. Organisers told them they asked Cork county board but were told they couldn't use the ground. It's the journalists and GAA's ability to keep shooting themselves in the foot that has turned this into such a story.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on July 26, 2018, 04:40:22 PM

Duff was doing a press launch for an autism charity he does work for and was asked by a journalist what did he think of the PuC situation. To say he was "wheeled out" as some sort of stooge is an insult to the organisers of the Liam Miller event and also Damien Duff.

The reason this has become such an issue is when Roy Keane was launching the game for Turners Cross one of the journalists asked why aren't you playing it in PuC. Organisers told them they asked Cork county board but were told they couldn't use the ground. It's the journalists and GAA's ability to keep shooting themselves in the foot that has turned this into such a story.
But, but, but...

Dont bring facts into it.

seafoid

Also it's the summer which is the silly season for journalists.  There aren't many other stories with people on holidays.

trailer

Well then he should have said I don't know much about it, which would reflect his knowledge on the issue better, rather than getting laid into a load of volunteers.

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 04:30:58 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 03:56:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM
There has been a pronounced shift in the general tone of the conversation since Duff's comments.
The longer it goes on the more it will be reduced to 'gaelic people' (as he calls us) vs. 'soccer people'.
I don't think his comments will influence the ultimate decision but maybe HQ aren't the only people mixed up in this affair that could do with some PR lessons.
True, but Duffer is speaking for himself. He isnt a vastly paid PR manager.

I think Duff's comments have done more harm than good. I know a lot of people in GAA some in high positions in club and county. They are on the road, home late, taking calls during the day, late at night, organising, sorting, arranging. Giving up their time. To be labelled 'Dinosaurs' by some indulged millionaire just pisses me right off.

In short, whether he was told to do it, or did it off his own accord, it hasn't helped.

Kildare co board after the newbridge fiasco fixed club games last weekend at the same time as their U20 team was playing in an All Ireland semi final. My dad  knows the kildare co board chairman and he was giving out that Cian O'Neill was doing all the press/rte news about newbridge. He felt as chairman he should be the one doing all that.
Meath  co board sent an e-mail to clubs that had dual players that player welfare is the clubs responsibility not the county board and fixtures will have to played. If they are worried about playing too many games, then don't pick the players for the team!!!

I'm sure some of the delegates who attend congress have been involved in GAA for 20/30 years, but I do believe they are out touch with today's players.