37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on July 26, 2018, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 11:00:46 AM
That won't work. The ground is still controlled by the GAA. If they don't want to rent it to some crowd they can still refuse. Lifting the rule is one thing, letting any amount of other games in is an entirely different issue.

As with Wesley if I wanted to run a fundraising match for Paddy Jackson they can still refuse to let me rent the pitch.

Why do you keep trying to compare the Liam Miller charity match with Paddy Jackson?

Of course any organisation/individual has the right to say no to anyone who wants to use their property. The issue here is why would you say no to game were the proceeds will go to a widow, children and a hospice?

It's an extreme example. But I have to say the fact that it is essentially a gather up for a man's family (who earned over £10m in his career) does stick in my throat a little bit. Granted, it's not popular to say that.
Furthermore the way some Soccer people have attacked the GAA and called them 'f**king dinosaurs' for example also got my back up.

I am broadly in favour of GAA pitches being opened up for other uses. I just feel some people who don't have the best interests in the GAA at heart have latched onto this issue. I am sure Liam nor his family would want that.

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 02:02:54 PM
That won't work. The ground is still controlled by the GAA. If they don't want to rent it to some crowd they can still refuse. Lifting the rule is one thing, letting any amount of other games in is an entirely different issue.

As with Wesley if I wanted to run a fundraising match for Paddy Jackson they can still refuse to let me rent the pitch.

Why do you keep trying to compare the Liam Miller charity match with Paddy Jackson?

Of course any organisation/individual has the right to say no to anyone who wants to use their property. The issue here is why would you say no to game were the proceeds will go to a widow, children and a hospice?

It's an extreme example. But I have to say the fact that it is essentially a gather up for a man's family (who earned over £10m in his career) does stick in my throat a little bit. Granted, it's not popular to say that.
Furthermore the way some Soccer people have attacked the GAA and called them 'f**king dinosaurs' for example also got my back up.

I am broadly in favour of GAA pitches being opened up for other uses. I just feel some people who don't have the best interests in the GAA at heart have latched onto this issue. I am sure Liam nor his family would want that.

So because he earned money the hospice he died in isn't worthy of funds?

Thats not popular because its borderline sociopathic

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 02:42:34 PM

Why not just raise money for the Hospice? Look, I really don't care, but the organisers have thrown everything out into the open with their actions around PUC and then enrolling high profile soccer players to do their dirty work in the media.
The guy had a very good career and reportedly earned £10m. It's a genuine question. But if you ask it you're just a heartless soul, or a sociopath.
I see it as a gather up for the family with a charity tagged on to give it a bit of cover.

spuds

How do you have such a social conscience with regard to this fundraiser and then accuse a poster here of having special needs?
John Hubbard

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 02:56:42 PM

How do you have such a social conscience with regard to this fundraiser and then accuse a poster here of having special needs?

Whataboutry at its finest. You should be pulling up the other poster.

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2018, 03:01:05 PM

Do you believe it is fine to say another poster has special needs?
John Hubbard

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 02:48:17 PM

Why not just raise money for the Hospice? Look, I really don't care, but the organisers have thrown everything out into the open with their actions around PUC and then enrolling high profile soccer players to do their dirty work in the media.
The guy had a very good career and reportedly earned £10m. It's a genuine question. But if you ask it you're just a heartless soul, or a sociopath.
I see it as a gather up for the family with a charity tagged on to give it a bit of cover.

The family apparently spent quite alot of money on medical treatment and it's not like they are keeping all of it. People are capable of thinking for themselves (even footballers). Damien Duff would have played alongside Liam Miller and known him so for you to think he was in some way encouraged to bad mouth the GAA as part of some sinister campaign it says more about the way you think than it does about him.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 03:05:56 PM

I asked had he, i didn't say he had.

He was talking garbage, i pulled him on it. If its too strong, noted. But you don't seem to take issue with the brutality of some opinions, just the reaction.

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 03:05:56 PM

Of course I fûcking don't. But this is like focusing on a single ant while your house is infested with rats.

Baile Brigín 2

This story started with and was propigated by GAA folk. Duff offered his opinion as a participant.

To suggest this is some sort of scam is disgraceful. Talk about working backwards from your position.

Jinxy

There has been a pronounced shift in the general tone of the conversation since Duff's comments.
The longer it goes on the more it will be reduced to 'gaelic people' (as he calls us) vs. 'soccer people'.
I don't think his comments will influence the ultimate decision but maybe HQ aren't the only people mixed up in this affair that could do with some PR lessons.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM
There has been a pronounced shift in the general tone of the conversation since Duff's comments.
The longer it goes on the more it will be reduced to 'gaelic people' (as he calls us) vs. 'soccer people'.
I don't think his comments will influence the ultimate decision but maybe HQ aren't the only people mixed up in this affair that could do with some PR lessons.
True, but Duffer is speaking for himself. He isnt a vastly paid PR manager.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 03:54:33 PM

Duff's comments are totally in keeping with his no-nonsense public persona you see on other topics. When the GAA have pull its pants down and laid down in front of the public it's hard to blame him for giving it a kick up the arse.

Why is this debacle still on-going a week later? Every hour that passes hurts the GAA even more.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 03:53:34 PM

This story started with and was propigated by GAA folk. Duff offered his opinion as a participant.

To suggest this is some sort of scam is disgraceful. Talk about working backwards from your position.

Disgraceful? Holy over-reaction Batman! Catch a grip. Do you expect us to believe Duff (who never has an opinion on anything else) just weighed in off his own back? I think it's just a little coincidental.

The story didn't start with GAA folk.
You never addressed that this is essentially a gather up for a Millionaire's family.

If you want to discuss issues around GAA facilities and bash the GAA, then lets discuss everything around this charity match.